MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Dev] FLEX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yeah, as was said this is aimed to be fully responsive. Though that's not all, it's also planned to makes things much easier on any admin using the theme to make changes throughout the theme.

I've mainly been reading on the technologies I'll be using for the past hour or so to maximize compatibility. So far it's going to be Modernizr (Yepnope, so scripts aren't getting loaded for no reason), Respond.js (For anything that doesn't support CSS3 media queries), and media queries for everything else pretty much. I'll probably have a demo by sometime tomorrow (As a regular HTML site), while I work on reworking basically all of MyBB's CSS.

@leefish - Yeah, I've been thinking about what I'm going to do with MyBB's tables. If they're there, I can't remove cells without breaking the layout, but when they are there I can't change them to divs without breaking JS. Not to mention changing colspan with CSS is only CSS3. So yeah, I'll keep looking into it, some of MyBB's JS might have to be changed here to work with divs instead of table cells.
Yup, I already use respond.js on leefish, I am very pleased with how it works. I did look at yep/nope but that causes a lot more work on the javascript side. (IMO) I found that using a script loader was not to handy for a lot of the inline js. I think that is why a lot of users are waiting for 1,8 and jQuery as hopefully there will be less inline js.
@Leefish 1.8 is said to have no hardcoded HTML in the JS too which will be super nice for theme developers
That would be very nice - rather than having to replace the hardcoded background in the spinner Big Grin
The thing is, design differences between mobile is not just about element size and re-shifting content, especially for a forum. For example, I won't show signatures on mobile view – this also means that there won't be a signature editor in the user CP, since it doesn't make sense to edit an invisible element.

Not saying you can't do this as you're clearly on the right track and very talented. Looking forward to it.
I actually liked the responsive tables from zurb - yes it is js, but it is a neat solution:

http://css-tricks.com/responsive-data-table-roundup/

http://www.zurb.com/playground/responsive-tables

@ brad - I would think that using respond.js can hide a lot of things - use of classes etc - but it is still calling the php queries in some places, hidden or no.
(2012-11-27, 02:41 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is, design differences between mobile is not just about element size and re-shifting content, especially for a forum. For example, I won't show signatures on mobile view – this also means that there won't be a signature editor in the user CP, since it doesn't make sense to edit an invisible element.

Not saying you can't do this as you're clearly on the right track and very talented. Looking forward to it.

I agree completely, you shouldn't just make a slimmer layout, you should make one seemingly built for the mobile in the first place. That said I'm sure the first release won't be perfect, there'll probably be a long feedback/improvement process before it's top notch. I was actually kind of hoping you'd join in and maybe help "humanize" some aspects. xD

I had planned to make the signatures collapsed by default, and in a fixed, scrollable container when opened. Really, removing some functionality is a must, but I want to try and explore all the options.

(2012-11-27, 02:48 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I actually liked the responsive tables from zurb - yes it is js, but it is a neat solution:

http://css-tricks.com/responsive-data-table-roundup/

http://www.zurb.com/playground/responsive-tables

@ brad - I would think that using respond.js can hide a lot of things - use of classes etc - but it is still calling the php queries in some places, hidden or no.

Neat links, I'll make sure to read into them. But like you mentioned, it's JS, and I'm trying to keep everything as compatible as possible (Currently only users with JS turned off AND an old version of IE AND on mobile will have trouble, in which case they probably don't care too much about their browsing experience)
very nice Big Grin
Very nice theme, probably one of the best free for MyBB made so far Smile Keep up doing this great work! Have a nice day bro Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6