MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: suggestion: MyBB version in footer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi,

I'd like to see MyBB displays its version in the page footer:

Powered By MyBB ===========> Powered By MyBB 1.2.1

to save questions regarding to the board version...
It used to display the version by default, but it was decided that it makes it easier for black hats (aka hackers) to find your site.
However you can turn it on. ACP -> Settings -> General Configuration -> Show Version Numbers -> Yes
Thanks, how about at least turn it on at this official forum?
I think the header should give you an pretty big idea about that.
"Latest News: MyBB 1.2.1 Released (27/09/2006)".
CraKteR Wrote:I think the header should give you an pretty big idea about that.
"Latest News: MyBB 1.2.1 Released (27/09/2006)".
Yeah, you'd think we'd be running the latest version here Toungue
i think it's pretty dumb to show your version since hackers will know exactly which exploits to use... and the users down give a **** about your current version anyway, so...
xiao Wrote:i think it's pretty dumb to show your version since hackers will know exactly which exploits to use... and the users down give a **** about your current version anyway, so...

I don't think it's 'dumb', a lots forums show their versions and why this is such a serious problem for MyBB? Even you hide the version string I don't think it will stop hackers from finding out the forum's weak points.

And when I visit support forum with a test subforum, I'd like to know on which version I am testing, who told you nobody cares about the current version anyway?
We don't want people showing their Version number, because if we find an exploit and release a patch, there will still be many unpatched boards and script kiddies will just google for "MyBB Ver #here" and exploit it. When you don't have the version # they don't know if you've got the latest or not.
hmm... the hackers can still try several versions, can't they? it won't take too long for them to figure out the board is unpatched.
Pages: 1 2 3 4