MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: inVisionary - Website Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello everyone! Big Grin

Me and my partner are working on a website called inVisionary. In which people can share their imaginations with others.

The website is very early in development, as the site went up about three days ago. Sooooo..a lot of things need to be added. Things in which will be shared here.

Site URL: http://daedricprince.byethost17.com (as you can tell, even the domain hasn't been added Toungue)

Anyways, for the features. Our main goal/plan is to create a site in which people can communicate freely. The forums is a start. But we hope to add things that will completely change how you view it.

For say, a large gallery in which people can upload pictures. People can post comments, like it, blah blah blah. Let's go a bit farther than that. Enabling users to upload not only pictures, but videos. Or online flash games, in which the user created.

Now let's combine the common forum, to a social network. You can add people, sure. Now let's add a status system, Status Feed, complex friend's system, etc.

As this may seem a bit ambitous, we won't really add all the awesome and big features until later on. Our plan is to launch the website with the official domain name and service provider, and we'll see how it goes. A larger community means more awesome features. Smile

So, enough of that talkingness....what are your ideas? Does the website look good so far? Give me your input!!!!
I just don't understand the purpose of this project, and it doesn't really sound like you do, either. What's the competitive advantages over, say, Facebook? Deviantart? Flickr? etc
(2013-01-08, 01:06 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I just don't understand the purpose of this project, and it doesn't really sound like you do, either. What's the competitive advantages over, say, Facebook? Deviantart? Flickr? etc

Hello!

The overall point of the project is to bring in all the people that want to share their imagination to create things (say for example, poems.) And I understand there are a bunch of sites you can post your work and such. The overall difference is, people with any interest(s) can share it here. A website where people can share what they feel with other people. A network of people that collide's their mind in order to create things. For example, if you want to make a game, you can look for people that share your interest in game design. Further extending your mind with things you do not yet understand.

It's a lot to squeeze in, yes. Toungue I can't really describe the point of the website, but I understand it. So does my partner. Your mind is the key in which creates things. The point of the site, in short, is to help people open a world filled with creativeness, uniqueness, and difference, for every interest. Any interest. A social network for your mind.

Does that light the darkness in your brain, now? Toungue
No, it doesn't really help. If I want help designing a game, I'm going to go to a community about game design, because I'll be able to find people who love and are knowledgeable about game design. There's a reason that highly targeted forums tend to do better than general ones – people go to them looking for answers or for discussion about a subject that interests them. Your concept is too idealistic and too wishy-washy. You guys need to consider more carefully exactly what need your community serves.
(2013-01-08, 01:59 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]No, it doesn't really help. If I want help designing a game, I'm going to go to a community about game design, because I'll be able to find people who love and are knowledgeable about game design. There's a reason that highly targeted forums tend to do better than general ones – people go to them looking for answers or for discussion about a subject that interests them. Your concept is too idealistic and too wishy-washy. You guys need to consider more carefully exactly what need your community serves.

You don't really see the viewpoint. Toungue The site isn't for one interest. But many. The site is meant to being people together, in order to collide into one thing. When you think of imagination, it's more than what you want to achieve, but what you want to create. Your vision. This website is meant to help people achieve that. With not just one interest, but a variety of interests in which users can share from THEIR thoughts. Further expanding your vision into reality.

That is the point of inVisionary. And if you really can not understand that...really?
Yes, clearly I'm the one who doesn't understand. Rolleyes

I understand your viewpoint. I'm saying it's not going to work. Feel free to prove me wrong.
(2013-01-08, 02:38 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, clearly I'm the one who doesn't understand. Rolleyes

I understand your viewpoint. I'm saying it's not going to work. Feel free to prove me wrong.

I do not wish to prove anyone wrong. However, people seem to easily underestimate people. It's understandable as my concept is too 'ambitious'

But first thing's first. The forum. Then the whole social network ordeal. Will be difficult, but patience is the key. Smile
I don't underestimate you - but what you really seem to want is a social networking platform. MyBB, though extremely extendable, is a forum system. Not a CMS, not a social network. You can add things to it of course, but once you are commited to a certain system it is hard to change. You could maybe change to a set up like Vb or IPB but those are expensive for a start up.

Why not have a look round for a software that is a social network set up in the first place?

Oxwall or Elgg might be more suited to your needs.
(2013-01-08, 03:08 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I don't underestimate you - but what you really seem to want is a social networking platform. MyBB, though extremely extendable, is a forum system. Not a CMS, not a social network. You can add things to it of course, but once you are commited to a certain system it is hard to change. You could maybe change to a set up like Vb or IPB but those are expensive for a start up.

Why not have a look round for a software that is a social network set up in the first place?

Oxwall or Elgg might be more suited to your needs.

Great question! I do not look to find a software dedicated to social networking. Mybb is a software that allows you to do anything. A forum software, yes. But as you said, it is extendable to your needs. Which is BEYOND difficult, I really don't want to look forward to the dedicated social networking softwares.

Sooo...I am starting to realize that my words mean nothing but confusingness, so I'll just leave it in short. I'll be staying with Mybb. I didn't say I wanted the website to be completely social networking. But a mixture.
Did you actually look at the two alternative open source solutions I suggested to you?

(2013-01-07, 10:17 PM)DaedricPrince Wrote: [ -> ]Now let's combine the common forum, to a social network. You can add people, sure. Now let's add a status system, Status Feed, complex friend's system, etc.
Where are you going to get these from?

I think it is great that you want to use MyBB, but you need to know what the software can do - unless you are an experienced php developer and you can make the addons yourself?

It does seem that English is perhaps not your first language, so that might explain why we are failing to communicate with you.

Let me be clear: you need a completely clear plan of what you are going to do and how you are going to do it. Telling us that we are confused is not the way to solve the problem that you have no plan of how you are going to achieve your goal. An idea is not a plan.
Pages: 1 2 3 4