MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Opera moving to Webkit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Pretty surprising IMO, but Opera has stated they are abandoning their first party Presto rendering engine and moving to Webkit and V8 for JavaScript - just like Safari and Chrome. The next version of Opera will be built on top of Chromium but with all the extra feature from Opera as standard.

http://my.opera.com/ODIN/blog/300-millio...-to-webkit
Yeah surprising but a pretty good move imho Smile
They did a nice job. Reduces the hassle for me when writing cross browser codes now.
Good. Saves me some work and issues that I've had in past.
I'm glad.

Opera is the browser that always gives me fits.
Nice move from Opera. I wish IE makes a move like that.
*victory dance*

Great news! Big Grin
Too bad, we are now facing a possible "IE 6" issue for the future. That apart, my forums will completely break now, the currently only supported browser for my forums was just Opera, xD
IMO it's a good move. I'd like to see all browsers share the same rendering engine (and WebKit is the best candidate at the moment). Browsers can differentiate themselves via their UI, but having just one rendering engine would make life so much easier for developers and allow the progression of web standards to occur much more quickly.

If only Microsoft and Mozilla would follow suit...
(2013-02-16, 03:40 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]allow the progression of web standards to occur much more quickly.

This one I fear may not come true though. Competition is good. I mean a lot of what we want now like gradients have been possible in IE forever(but not standardized obviously). It was offering rendering possibilities that others didn't which made of lot of the standards coming about now. While in theory one rendering engine should mean faster standard development it can also lead to stagnation due to lack of competition.

Either way I think it was a good move Opera as it's not a browser picked for its rendering anyway. This way they can work more on what makes them great.
Pages: 1 2 3