MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New MyBB Vector Logo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Um... well I do logo design.. and really there's something called fair use... example:
[attachment=28645]

It's perfectly legal in the US of A to include those logos, HTML5, CSS3, jQuery (I custom made that version using the crest) in my screen shot which by the way I made from vectors.

Also take a look at this site:
http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/

Many large brand logos are available there in vector format with license information including current usage information.

However FAIR USE allows me to use any of them in a display I make for a product I make which uses the service/product/software. Eg if I made jeans from recycled Nike shows... I could make packaging which shows "jeans made from recycled Nike shows" with the Nike logo showing on a old dirty Nike shoe being shredded. It not abuse or stealing or mis-conduct to do so.

Hence why I asked for the vector is so for my screenshot images of the MyBB themes I'm going (planning) to make I want to start with the best quality as is the normal production workflow of most designers.

Releasing a logo vector for a brand is NOT LIKE RELEASING proprietary source code (zomg at that inference, lol incorrect argument). It's not a technology that will cause a business a loss or disadvantage if leaked or released. However releasing proprietary source code is a HUGE potential loss or disadvantage. Hence why business trade secrets are so closely guarded even by law (in the USA). But a Logo... is NOT a trade secret.. lol.

Also I can make a vector from the image effone was awesome enough to share although it may not be perfect replica of the original. But it may suffice. I would still like the original or a public release of the original in all it's glory... but that decision is of course up to the current owners.

Cheers!
If we wish to release a copy of the original logo, it probably won't be until we've started to use it ourselves. As far as the community is concerned, the current MyBB logo is still the official MyBB logo.
(2013-02-20, 12:54 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]just gonna leave this here:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-5273.html

Thanks for that. Never saw the mybb_gdk.

Btw, that logo is 214 Mb! It's the current current one but the cloud logo is different than the one in the header above. Shall I also add for the people who want the vector, this isn't a vector. It's a rasterized image in dimensions of 29k x 10k px.
(2013-02-20, 02:57 AM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]Using fanart or a replicated logo for a news organization may well not be appropriate, but that doesn't mean the creation of the fan art or logo itself is unacceptable or immoral.

I never said it was. Confused

Effone, not exactly trying to call your imitation crude, just to say that this is not the way things should be done ...

Anyway, we got an official staff response, so whatever.
(2013-02-20, 01:07 PM)iHydra Wrote: [ -> ]

Btw, that logo is 214 Mb! It's the current current one but the cloud logo is different than the one in the header above. Shall I also add for the people who want the vector, this isn't a vector. It's a rasterized image in dimensions of 29k x 10k px.

Good gosh, why would anyone want to output such a large rastered file?
Vector is more than enough for any print shop to produce a good quality product and same goes for web design... lol it's almost like image trolling...
Here.. take my image... it's only 1000% more than what you need. lol funny.

@iHydra, do you already have the official vector? or did you create one from that obese-ly large image? lol so epic
(2013-02-21, 12:56 AM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-20, 01:07 PM)iHydra Wrote: [ -> ]

Good gosh, why would anyone want to output such a large rastered file?
Vector is more than enough for any print shop to produce a good quality product and same goes for web design... lol it's almost like image trolling...
Here.. take my image... it's only 1000% more than what you need. lol funny.

@iHydra, do you already have the official vector? or did you create one from that obese-ly large image? lol so epic

I could revector the logo, but not worth it. The given logo that was posted on page 2 is sufficient. It's a INSANELY large rasterized image to fit ANY dimensions you need, lol.
Illustrator has an image trace feature that's amazing...
But that psd does not trace well...
So I said F it.. I'll manually RE-make it:
[attachment=28656]
[attachment=28657]
Made in about 20 minutes.
Each bubble is on it's own layer and is move-able.
100% vector... almost near identical to the logo in that HUGE psd...
Oh, and note the tiny file size! lol... not anywhere close to 200+MBs. Toungue

Edit:
Btw.. my version vector (in the above zip file) is 100% "open source, do whatever you want with, no attribution required, I don't care, viva la community!" license. Just want to make that clear lol. It's the communities to do what they want with.
Just thought I might throw it out there, the underscore character (_) when typed in Webdings produces an (admittedly black and white) version of the MyBB Logo. I remember someone - Justin, or maybe Mike - mentioning this once.
It doesn't, I guess ...
I couldn't find the winding or webding that matches the logo either.... just looked... perhaps it's a UTF-8 character....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6