MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New MyBB Vector Logo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
The original logo is based off a webding or winding font (not sure which one or what key). I'm sure if you dig hard enough the forums you can find out though.
Okay, thats about the old logo. And the font is 'Webdings'. Character code 0x5F

[Image: LzuASoS.png]
(2013-02-20, 07:34 AM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]Um... well I do logo design.. and really there's something called fair use... example:

It's perfectly legal in the US of A to include those logos, HTML5, CSS3, jQuery (I custom made that version using the crest) in my screen shot which by the way I made from vectors.

Also take a look at this site:
http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/

Many large brand logos are available there in vector format with license information including current usage information.

However FAIR USE allows me to use any of them in a display I make for a product I make which uses the service/product/software. Eg if I made jeans from recycled Nike shows... I could make packaging which shows "jeans made from recycled Nike shows" with the Nike logo showing on a old dirty Nike shoe being shredded. It not abuse or stealing or mis-conduct to do so.

Hence why I asked for the vector is so for my screenshot images of the MyBB themes I'm going (planning) to make I want to start with the best quality as is the normal production workflow of most designers.

Releasing a logo vector for a brand is NOT LIKE RELEASING proprietary source code (zomg at that inference, lol incorrect argument). It's not a technology that will cause a business a loss or disadvantage if leaked or released. However releasing proprietary source code is a HUGE potential loss or disadvantage. Hence why business trade secrets are so closely guarded even by law (in the USA). But a Logo... is NOT a trade secret.. lol.

Also I can make a vector from the image effone was awesome enough to share although it may not be perfect replica of the original. But it may suffice. I would still like the original or a public release of the original in all it's glory... but that decision is of course up to the current owners.

Cheers!

I have a genuine question and am not trying to be cheeky or a smartarse.

The javascript icon you made in the same style as the others, would I be allowed to just use that without your permission, in the same way you have used the HTML5 and CSS3 ones, without permission?

This is a genuine query.
(2013-02-21, 05:34 PM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a genuine question and am not trying to be cheeky or a smartarse.

The javascript icon you made in the same style as the others, would I be allowed to just use that without your permission, in the same way you have used the HTML5 and CSS3 ones, without permission?

This is a genuine query.

I honestly don't know since it's not an official logo like the others are.
Good question! But since I made it, you're 100% welcomed to use it! lol
I made that project under creative commons attribution non-commercial... but I'm personally not even sure if that applies directly to the derived logo since it's a derivative work. In either case you don't need my permission to use it in any way that doesn't generate income eg by selling it.
In court rulings, the US court of appeals has ruled on a lot of cases such as the Game Genie vs Nintendo case that his use of the Nintendo characters on his product display sticker was under fair use. So go figure... lol.
(2013-02-21, 05:34 PM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]The javascript icon you made in the same style as the others, would I be allowed to just use that without your permission, in the same way you have used the HTML5 and CSS3 ones, without permission?

This is a genuine query.

They want you to use them. http://www.w3.org/html/logo/
@yea but he's asking about my alteration which has nothing to do with W3 products.
jQuery development is an entirely different group.

How I made it:
I used the vector for the background badge of W3 HTML, applied different fills based on contrasting complementary colors that aren't used in other badges that works with the jQuery blue, then took the jQuery logo and font and made them proportional to existing W3 badge font. Sliced the jQuery logo to make it look to wrap across front of badge as the W3 badges do... and vwuala! You've got a jQuery version of the Badge.....
(2013-02-22, 12:02 AM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-21, 05:34 PM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a genuine question and am not trying to be cheeky or a smartarse.

This is a genuine query.

I honestly don't know since it's not an official logo like the others are.
Good question! But since I made it, you're 100% welcomed to use it! lol
I made that project under creative commons attribution non-commercial... but I'm personally not even sure if that applies directly to the derived logo since it's a derivative work. In either case you don't need my permission to use it in any way that doesn't generate income eg by selling it.
In court rulings, the US court of appeals has ruled on a lot of cases such as the Game Genie vs Nintendo case that his use of the Nintendo characters on his product display sticker was under fair use. So go figure... lol.

Haha thanks Smile I will probably design one myself, I was just curious and thought it was a good question to ask to gain some insight!

Thanks for letting me use it. I'm a big fan of your works by the way!
(2013-02-22, 01:21 AM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for letting me use it. I'm a big fan of your works by the way!

Np, and thank you! lol you're probably the first person that has said that to date honestly... I've just started web design as compared to my photography.
Just wanted to mention, fmb was doing a MyBB remake design once. When she asked Tim for permission, he mentioned there might be a license change on things like the logo in the future that would prevent usage or something (I don't know the details). Just something to keep in mind.

I believe he said it would be like this license:

http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/

Don't take my word for it, though.
(2013-02-23, 06:28 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]I believe he said it would be like this license:
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/

Well that's fairly simple world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license. As expected it means you can't charge for the logo itself (as most public licenses) but doesn't mean you can't include such logo in your products packaging/display info showing that your product uses or is for what the logo represents (hurray for fair use!).
And of course the non-exclusive part.
I think I like it... either way fair use is legal. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6