MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB is becoming too old respect the other
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
I don't share your opinion about the theme, in my opinion that layout can't match "competition".
Of course the default theme will not be used for the most forum installed, but good morning starts in the morning.
I'd stop criticism now to not seems too finicky.

Just to do a comparation, this forum theme http://www.mybbsecurity.net/ ROCKS in my opinion and it should be good as a default theme Smile

Good job
I don't like the 1.8 default theme – frankly, it's just weird and feels unfinished – but the MyBB Security theme is too gimmicky for a default theme. As someone who doesn't use the default theme I don't really care. But the MyBB team could have invested a bit more time to make the default a solid bootstrap for theme development. It's a missed opportunity.
Completely agree. The default theme should be a clean and nice example and should represent the character of the forum, like the default template of 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 version. At the time I think that this was a very good default theme. But that apart... not because Justin is not good to make themes, I used apart in the part because was really cool. But now I think that a modern style is required. However it's a free software and of course we can't to claim a lot Smile
I say this just because I Heart MyBB.
(2013-04-01, 08:43 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like the 1.8 default theme – frankly, it's just weird and feels unfinished

It is unfinished. Smilies, post icons, GIF images, and jQuery are still on the todo list.

(2013-04-01, 08:43 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who doesn't use the default theme I don't really care. But the MyBB team could have invested a bit more time to make the default a solid bootstrap for theme development. It's a missed opportunity.

MyBB is simply too old to be reworked completely. We've done what we can in regards to the theming system in 1.8 but for what we really want to do we'd have to rewrite it - next stop, 2.0. The default theme is only a base and it would probably require more work for those upgrading if we had developed a new theme.

When you see 2.0 in all its glory you'll see why we've made these decisions. Smile
(2013-04-01, 09:02 PM)Ryan Gordon. Wrote: [ -> ]When you see 2.0 in all its glory you'll see why we've made these decisions. Smile

Yes I know, I trust you guys Smile
(2013-04-01, 08:43 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like the 1.8 default theme – frankly, it's just weird and feels unfinished – but the MyBB Security theme is too gimmicky for a default theme. As someone who doesn't use the default theme I don't really care. But the MyBB team could have invested a bit more time to make the default a solid bootstrap for theme development. It's a missed opportunity.
There are huge problems with developers around the world. Why all free software is functional but ugly?
Why so much customization is required by an admin?

Watching the repository of some software themes the only will you want is to cry.

Perhaps not an expert in programming and design but have projects in mind and no money.

I do not know if XenFOro is better but looks modern with your registration form, layout, socialization, themes and so on.Yes!! With some customizations but...
Was a time where the IPB was a visual pattern and after the vBulletin. But both are modern but also stuck in time.

Why Ubuntu has taken the lead in Linux distributions?

I intend to take a chance on MyBB but do not know if I wait until version 2.0. Time is running and the lion is hungry
(2013-04-01, 09:02 PM)Ryan Gordon. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-01, 08:43 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like the 1.8 default theme – frankly, it's just weird and feels unfinished

It is unfinished. Smilies, post icons, GIF images, and jQuery are still on the todo list.

(2013-04-01, 08:43 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who doesn't use the default theme I don't really care. But the MyBB team could have invested a bit more time to make the default a solid bootstrap for theme development. It's a missed opportunity.

MyBB is simply too old to be reworked completely. We've done what we can in regards to the theming system in 1.8 but for what we really want to do we'd have to rewrite it - next stop, 2.0. The default theme is only a base and it would probably require more work for those upgrading if we had developed a new theme.

When you see 2.0 in all its glory you'll see why we've made these decisions. Smile

Those things aren't likely to sway my opinion of the theme. It feels like it was designed many years ago, mostly because it was. Like many elements of MyBB, it was stellar when it came out but has since been leapfrogged by both free and paid software alike. Talking about 2.0 at this point is basically a red herring – it seems that 1.8 is going to be about a year late (despite the "it'll be ready when it's ready" spiel, there have been dates posted by staff alluding to summer 2012, which was ALREADY too late).

I don't expect to see 2.0 until 2015. 2016 more likely. At that point, the chances of anyone being interested in it strike me as shockingly low. There is intense competition in this sector right now; both free and paid solutions are improving rapidly. Will 2.0 really be competitive in 2-3 years? It's not enough to go where brands like XF and iPB are right now – we need to be talking about the pure future of online conversation. Who on the team is developing what a next generation user experience will look like? Or has MyBB become an exercise in programming technicalities?

1.8 was not supposed to exist, but it does because someone on the team realized it needs to. However, treating it as merely a stop-gap between 1. and 2.0 is a huge mistake. For anyone running a board on 1.6 now with a lot of customization, 1.8 will be the end of the line for a lot of them. But 1.8 is still not aggressive enough. It's worrisome, frankly. I love MyBB, its community, its plugins, its malleability, but I sincerely worry about its long term viability.
Indeed it is worrisome. Unfortunately we can't do magic yet.
(2013-04-01, 11:20 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Those things aren't likely to sway my opinion of the theme. It feels like it was designed many years ago, mostly because it was. Like many elements of MyBB, it was stellar when it came out but has since been leapfrogged by both free and paid software alike.

1.8 is just a minor upgrade. It's not the place for a complete redesign, but that isn't limiting anyone. Yes, there will be people who like the new default theme, and people who hate it, but it's fine as a base. If we had designed a new theme we would have ended up completely rewriting it. Once again, it's a minor release. No one complained that 1.6 used the 1.4 theme. I don't even think we'd be having this discussion if we had decided to use the same default theme as that's what you're used to.

(2013-04-01, 11:20 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Talking about 2.0 at this point is basically a red herring – it seems that 1.8 is going to be about a year late (despite the "it'll be ready when it's ready" spiel, there have been dates posted by staff alluding to summer 2012, which was ALREADY too late).

We've never posted a release date. Those were guesstimates at the time. 1.8 was just as new to us and it was to you. This is exactly why we don't post release dates because then people would complain.

(2013-04-01, 11:20 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't expect to see 2.0 until 2015. 2016 more likely. At that point, the chances of anyone being interested in it strike me as shockingly low. There is intense competition in this sector right now; both free and paid solutions are improving rapidly. Will 2.0 really be competitive in 2-3 years? It's not enough to go where brands like XF and iPB are right now – we need to be talking about the pure future of online conversation. Who on the team is developing what a next generation user experience will look like? Or has MyBB become an exercise in programming technicalities?

We have a lot of ideas, prototypes, discussions with other teams, and plenty of time. Things change rapidly. I can't reveal too much but we know exactly what we want 2.0 to be. At this point 2.0 is still a concept but it's something which will be built with the future in mind.

(2013-04-01, 11:20 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]1.8 was not supposed to exist, but it does because someone on the team realized it needs to. However, treating it as merely a stop-gap between 1. and 2.0 is a huge mistake. For anyone running a board on 1.6 now with a lot of customization, 1.8 will be the end of the line for a lot of them. But 1.8 is still not aggressive enough. It's worrisome, frankly. I love MyBB, its community, its plugins, its malleability, but I sincerely worry about its long term viability.

1.8 exists to continue the 1.x series while we develop 2.0. This isn't something new, we've done it with DevBB and that worked out fine. People used DevBB while MyBB was being developed, and people will use 1.8 while 2.0 is being developed. People will then upgrade, or not, but the product will still be actively maintained.
I couldn't agree more with brad personally. You're expecting people to sit on the 1.8 stop-gap series for like 3 years or more. With the pace that forum software is evolving, I wouldn't be surprised if many lost patience and went on to progress their boards themselves instead of waiting (and by that I mean migrate). Imagine how different forum software could be in 2 years or so; being so far behind could be detrimental. I understand how annoying it is for you guys to read these complaints, I really do, but I really think the MyBB team approached this the wrong way completely.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19