MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB is becoming too old respect the other
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
(2013-04-02, 02:47 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-02, 02:29 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]@brad-t informal applications are as useful as nothing.

When people with the authority to accept new members tell you your skills aren't necessary, that is enough to dissuade one from applying. Wouldn't you agree? Would you apply under those circumstances? I've tried to contribute to the project in my own ways, including the Humanization Project and with numerous feature ideas that have been seriously considered – for which I'm very grateful. This isn't the same level of contribution as anyone on the dev team, something I am obviously aware of.
Applications are not decided by one single person, they're decided by the majority of the team members.

(2013-04-02, 02:47 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]This isn't the right space to get into the numerous UI and UX issues that MyBB has, some of which I've documented already. As a small example, why is the registration process so clunky? It hasn't changed in over half a decade, right? Why not change this for 1.8, when it can be done with pretty basic edits already? MyBB doesn't have anyone dedicated to User Experience. (Or if they do, this is not plainly visible to users.) This is an issue that should be rectified.

If someone from the team is ever interested in discussing UX in a serious manner, my inbox is always open. Smile I don't think the atmosphere in this thread will be really productive for anyone.
So it is out fault that MyBB doesn't have anyone dedicated to user experience?? The active developers are not that many really and those who are active struggle to contribute anything useful every week due to our tight schedules. We cannot force people to join the team.
For what it's worth, I can't find find an application link. Blush
About - Join the team

http://www.mybb.com/about/apply
Should be under Get Involved ... thanks.

Quote:So it is out fault that MyBB doesn't have anyone dedicated to user experience??

Well, considering there is no job opening on the page for UX and there is no invitation to apply for unlisted jobs, not to mention the page being buried in a very weird place ... I would say this doesn't help.
I agree Brad - the only reason I know where it is is because people kept asking me where it was Toungue
(2013-04-02, 04:11 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Should be under Get Involved ... thanks.

Completely agree with you.
Ideally there should be a pretty easy way to access that page from the homepage IMO.
(2013-04-02, 03:53 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]So it is out fault that MyBB doesn't have anyone dedicated to user experience?? The active developers are not that many really and those who are active struggle to contribute anything useful every week due to our tight schedules. We cannot force people to join the team.

I wouldn't say it's your fault, but I seriously don't see anyone 'official' asking us for UI input, when sharing communities that have done a lot with MyBB is like the most popular subject around here. I'm sure you would get a lot of good feedback from users like brad, tecca, Leefish, etc. The funny thing is, most of the UI stuff can be changed so easily; it's not like we're asking you to make three huge plugins and have them as core you know. I don't think brad is asking for too much, and I know a lot of users share this opinion, but it looks like it's not something that will be changed unfortunately. As for your "if you don't like it don't stay, we're not forcing you" approach, I really think that's the wrong message to send out.

I dunno, I simply can not get behind the ideology of either having a finished product soon which is hardly any different than 1.6, or have a much better product in the 1.x series but will be released in three years as Nathan or whoever Ryan is said. There must be a compromise there somewhere... I have no idea how much time is spent by you guys actually developing the product, but I'm really unsure how much longer we can rely on users like Euan to save us all.

Btw, please apply brad, please.
honestly, not a fan of converting to jquery in 1.8 anyway. if a designers wants to add it, they can, but the wholesale change means a fair amount of changes for me and other plugin devs that try to work within prototype.

however, it would be nice to have a uniform jquery library built-in since i have seen themes and plugins that range from very early to bleeding edge. makes things a pita to deploy at times

and yes, MyBB lacks (visibly at least) a UX path and someone to walk it.
(2013-04-02, 12:52 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]...

With regards to 1.8, I'm actually seriously considering dropping the jQuery conversion for it and focusing on fixing the > 100 bugs that exist in 1.x...

[Image: gSbUBpx.png]

In all seriousness, jQuery is THE feature I'd estimate 90% of people are looking forwards to 1.8 for - that and the anti-spam improvements.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19