MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB is becoming too old respect the other
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
BTW, with MyBB 1.8 on Github, there is no real need to apply for a developer position if you want to help. Sign up, fork it, make your suggested edits and then submit a pull. There, you are now a MyBB developer if they accept your code.
Quote:more dependencies on 3rd party

The majority of plugins we will need are mature and will only require updating alongside major jQuery updates; something that, more than likely, we would need to look into anyway.
(2013-04-02, 11:06 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, with MyBB 1.8 on Github, there is no real need to apply for a developer position if you want to help. Sign up, fork it, make your suggested edits and then submit a pull. There, you are now a MyBB developer if they accept your code.

I don't think making changes in isolation this way is likely to get very far, especially if you're doing anything outside of code optimization.
(2013-04-02, 11:54 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-02, 11:06 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, with MyBB 1.8 on Github, there is no real need to apply for a developer position if you want to help. Sign up, fork it, make your suggested edits and then submit a pull. There, you are now a MyBB developer if they accept your code.

I don't think making changes in isolation this way is likely to get very far, especially if you're doing anything outside of code optimization.

but if you have the drive to contribute, even a small piece, its better than yelling at the computer about it not getting done

(2013-04-02, 11:30 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:more dependencies on 3rd party

The majority of plugins we will need are mature and will only require updating alongside major jQuery updates; something that, more than likely, we would need to look into anyway.

as long as they are all compatible with the same version of jQuery. I hate that one thing is setup for 1.5.2 and the other is 1.7.1 and another is 1.6.3, etc.
I think discussion is more productive than ineffective contributions that will likely be rejected, actually.
It is normal for a software stop in time. But a difficult decision must be made. For those who want to use and provide good resources to good navigation users to will want to modern stuff and if something another shall come offering to users best stuffs you can be sure that users will go.

I understand the question of compatibility and use the actual knowledge base. but if I'm wrong correct me.

You can modernize the system without losing what has been done?

It's time to break the oceans?

sry for my english and maybe by the language but the only way to change is the chaos
(2013-04-03, 05:15 AM)dthiago Wrote: [ -> ]It is normal for a software stop in time. But a difficult decision must be made. For those who want to use and provide good resources to good navigation users to will want to modern stuff and if something another shall come offering to users best stuffs you can be sure that users will go.

I understand the question of compatibility and use the actual knowledge base. but if I'm wrong correct me.

You can modernize the system without losing what has been done?

It's time to break the oceans?

sry for my english and maybe by the language but the only way to change is the chaos

for me MyBB is great tool, including 1.6.9...
i liked the theme of 1.8...
I'm using theme based on 1.8 in 1.6.9...
of course need to do some editing ...
for me mybb it's modern enough.

http://forum.minnasuki.com
I did just read through this and I thought I might share my thoughts with you Smile

I also do not like the new 1.8 theme a lot but the small improvements mentioned here (like login box) are simple template edits that everybody could do if he is admin of a board (and should be able to do so!).

Since every serious mybb forum out there does use a custom design anyway, I don't see a huge problem with the new default theme for 1.8. I'll swap it for my own site designhs anyway.

What I and others are really looking forward with 1.8 is jQuery and I am very surprised that the MyBB development team does think about dropping jQuery in 1.8.
I do use jQuery on a majority of my own and customers websites and it really is an issue to have prototype and jquery running on the forum websites (double loading times, two js libs to handle...).

Without jQuery, you could in my opinion just drop whole 1.8 series and start developing 2.0 on YII base. I'd probably stick with 1.6 then anyway - less issues with design and plugins.

Thank you for reading and keep up the good job MyBB team!
(2013-04-10, 10:28 AM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]What I and others are really looking forward with 1.8 is jQuery and I am very surprised that the MyBB development team does think about dropping jQuery in 1.8.
I do use jQuery on a majority of my own and customers websites and it really is an issue to have prototype and jquery running on the forum websites (double loading times, two js libs to handle...).

Without jQuery, you could in my opinion just drop whole 1.8 series and start developing 2.0 on YII base. I'd probably stick with 1.6 then anyway - less issues with design and plugins.

Thank you for reading and keep up the good job MyBB team!

Agree...
Without jQuery in 1.8 better drop 1.8...
will be difficult to sustain in the market for a few years using prototype
Yes. Jquery is the future and present, and considering 2.0 being as far as 4-5 years (maybe) from now, it's better to implement jQuery.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19