MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How is the conversion to jQuery coming along?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Has it been fun, annoying, lots of bugs or have you not yet got to it?

I've never had to do anything like that, specially converting old code to new code, so I'm interested how's it coming along!
To the relief of Tomm, I started the process on the 14th. Prototype has been stripped out, the autocomplete system has been replaced with Twitter's Typeahead.js, and we're moving towards a JSON system for AJAX requests.

[Image: JIt9osj.png]

Currently I'm rewriting general.js in jQuery. There's still much to do, but you can follow the progress on Github. Smile

I hate Javascript. Smile
If I read my JavaScript/jQuery books through soon, then I'll help spare you a bit, Nathan.

I hate reading. Smile
(2013-06-22, 02:22 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]I hate Javascript. Smile

Ha, why did they assign you to this?
(2013-06-23, 01:09 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

I volunteered to do it. Tomm said he would start the conversion some time around 2172, but I thought it would be more widely accepted if we got it done within the next century. Shy
(2013-06-23, 01:39 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-23, 01:09 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

I volunteered to do it. Tomm said he would start the conversion some time around 2172, but I thought it would be more widely accepted if we got it done within the next century. Shy

* Josh H. thanks Nathan for advancing the process by 1,000,000,000%.
Looking good, nice job. This really is going to give MyBB a big edge over SMF, and other forum software. Looks very modern, and professional, despite the arguments over the conversion.
(2013-06-22, 02:22 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]To the relief of Tomm, I started the process on the 14th. Prototype has been stripped out, the autocomplete system has been replaced with Twitter's Typeahead.js, and we're moving towards a JSON system for AJAX requests.

[Image: JIt9osj.png]

Currently I'm rewriting general.js in jQuery. There's still much to do, but you can follow the progress on Github. Smile

I hate Javascript. Smile

Nice! Haha I love JavaScript!

Was there anything that was a pain to convert?
Prototype and jQuery have some similarities so it's mostly a case of finding the equivalent methods. It'll be the ACP which will be a pain to convert, but at least there's a base to work with now. Smile
What if the user has no javascript enabled? I know that we can use <noscript> but can we do something advanced? Like something that detects if no JS is enabled and convert all the javascript stuff to XY.

Just wanting to know Big Grin (I know this post sucks Toungue)
Pages: 1 2 3