MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Xenforo 1.2b5 with MyBB Importer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Now that Xenforo has an official MyBB 1.6 importer, how do you think this will effect MyBB's market share?
I know I plan on moving my last MyBB site over to XF by the end of the year. Are others following suit? What's MyBB's plan to compete with newer and better software like Xenforo?
Quote:What's MyBB's plan to compete with newer and better software like Xenforo?

Newer is a fact but better isn't. :-)

There isn't much more to say than what we've already stated. MyBB has competed with commercial software from the beginning. We've had a fair amount of requests for a Xenforo to MyBB converter so I guess it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with. An official importer likely won't affect MyBB substantially.
I didn't realise Mybb was competing with anyone. Maybe it's just me but I've never paid for a Mybb licence?
MyBB is completely free, there are paid alternatives but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are any better. The fact that XenForo is targeting MyBB's userbase means we must be doing something right. I don't see XenForo having any significant impact on MyBB.
I agree that there are benefits to using MyBB and that paid alternatives aren't necessarily better. BUT I also think that ignoring the innovations Xenforo is bringing to the table is not a smart idea. I won't list them here but there are quite a few things that XF DOES do better than MyBB. If nothing else, it has a much lighter footprint when scaled up to 1M posts.
We're certainly not ignoring what other forum software brings. It's having the right balance. There are things that phpBB does better than MyBB and vice versa. There is a clear divide though - free vs paid. We implement features which users request that fit the product.

MyBB is a community built product by the people who use MyBB. Labrocca, Justin, Stefan, frostschutz - just a few people who run MyBB forums and contribute a lot to the project. If there's something you like about another piece of software - request for it to be added. If not for 1.8 then for 2.0. The idea of MyBB 2.0 has been built around user feedback and requests and that's the great thing about MyBB.
I can't see how anyone can really say MyBB is better personally. It's not expected to be, so I don't think people need to go down the competitive route. I also lol'd that someone said "it says something that Xenforo wants to target MyBB's userbase, we're doing something right" (paraphrased); there are tons of requests on Xenforo from MyBB users asking how to move there. They simply acknowledged all these requests and gave them an easier and cheaper option to move to their software. It's not always practicable or affordable to pay $400 for someone to do it for you.

I have seen plenty of people here want to move to Xenforo because of how great it's going there, and how active and incredible their development side is. Will it significantly affect MyBB? Not in my opinion. MyBB has competed with paid software like vBulletin in its prime and IPB, and the fact that MyBB is free, and currently the best free option, will always be a reason why people will choose MyBB.

(2013-07-10, 08:39 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]We're certainly not ignoring what other forum software brings. It's having the right balance. There are things that phpBB does better than MyBB and vice versa. There is a clear divide though - free vs paid. We implement features which users request that fit the product.

MyBB is a community built product by the people who use MyBB. Labrocca, Justin, Stefan, frostschutz - just a few people who run MyBB forums and contribute a lot to the project. If there's something you like about another piece of software - request for it to be added. If not for 1.8 then for 2.0. The idea of MyBB 2.0 has been built around user feedback and requests and that's the great thing about MyBB.

I've seen features like notifications and threaded conversations be requested millions of times. They are must-have features now, and MyBB has always said the same thing. Shooting those features down is inevitably going to result in threads like this. Big forums are becoming a rarity in MyBB now. The list of big forums Xenforo has in such a short period of time is proof that Xenforo is just the preferred option for more serious forums.
Quote:I've seen features like notifications and threaded conversations be requested millions of times. They are must-have features now, and MyBB has always said the same thing. Shooting those features down is inevitably going to result in threads like this.

Have we ever said we won't implement those features? You have to remember MyBB has a release cycle. Both of those can't be implemented in 1.8.
Ok, I admit it, I custom coded Asperger's Network, as MyBB wasn't fitting my needs, but I do run a couple of other sites on MyBB, and phpBB similarly.

I, for one, refuse to use the poor excuse for a software that is XenForo - And they make you pay for it...
(2013-07-10, 10:42 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I've seen features like notifications and threaded conversations be requested millions of times. They are must-have features now, and MyBB has always said the same thing. Shooting those features down is inevitably going to result in threads like this.

Have we ever said we won't implement those features? You have to remember MyBB has a release cycle. Both of those can't be implemented in 1.8.

You really expect MyBB users to be excited for these features to possibly be introduced in like 2-3 years time? 1.8 looks like another 1.6 to me. If I were still with MyBB, I wouldn't even upgrade (based on what I know about it now ofc). I don't mean to sound rude saying these things, I'm just being honest, and I know for a fact I am not the only one thinking this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4