MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2014 MyBB vs phpBB vs SMF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1) I'm a strong advocate against LDAP on anything that has web access, as it promotes laziness on end-users for passwords. Having separate passwords for separate applications is a much better choice and is much better for security. But I understand the want if it's all internal. There is a 1.6x plugin for this but I haven't used it, and it doesn't seem to be actively maintained so who knows how well it works.

2) I find that generally MyBB's search works fine without the need of boolean operators, but if you /needed/ it, I'd suggest just swapping out your search bar for a google one. (Simple enough to do.)

3) Explain this one a little more please.

4) What user interface? Like the design of the forum itself? I find MyBB to be a lot cleaner, minus the UCP which I'll admit is a little dated and not exactly user friendly. The amount of time a user spends in the UCP makes the design really not a key fact of importance imo.

5) Totally agree with you. I hope it's something that get's some attention in 2.0, but we'll see.
As for making MyBB a little more, uh "Human Friendly" check out Brad's MyBB Humanization Project for design tips. He, and the community do a wonderful example of how MyBB can look with some editing.

I hope that helps. 
1) It will be a local server only. In a enterprise, LDAP is everywhere and really convenience. Users have already a lot of password to remember. There is less support for IT to reset passwords. And yes of course data will be important for us but it is not strategic.

2) The search engine works fine but of my point of view it is a shame that there is no boolean operators. As it will be a local server, no bots, no access to web.

3) The community in PHPBB is more reactive. If you post something, you'll get a quicker answer.
Look this thread => http://community.mybb.com/thread-167758.html no one give an answer, apparantly I'm the only one to care about that.
And that one as well => http://community.mybb.com/thread-167716.html.

4) Yeah that's subjective both are nice. MyBB is more "HTML 5".
(2015-02-27, 08:00 AM)sayannara Wrote: [ -> ]1) It will be a local server only. In a enterprise, LDAP is everywhere and really convenience. Users have already a lot of password to remember. There is less support for IT to reset passwords. And yes of course data will be important for us but it is not strategic.

Not true. 

Active Directory is everywhere. Yes. But I don't think I have seen one enterprise ACTUALLY use LDAP. 
Well I don't know what your job is. I don't know where you work. But you can't just write "Not true".

WMware vSphere web client can use Windows session authentification, OTRS which is a ticketing application can be used with LDAP, in a University I have seen many applications using LDAP, PHPBB, HTTP Commander, ....
(2015-02-27, 08:00 AM)sayannara Wrote: [ -> ]1) It will be a local server only. In a enterprise, LDAP is everywhere and really convenience. Users have already a lot of password to remember. There is less support for IT to reset passwords. And yes of course data will be important for us but it is not strategic.

2) The search engine works fine but of my point of view it is a shame that there is no boolean operators. As it will be a local server, no bots, no access to web.

3) The community in PHPBB is more reactive. If you post something, you'll get a quicker answer.
Look this thread => http://community.mybb.com/thread-167758.html no one give an answer, apparantly I'm the only one to care about that.
And that one as well => http://community.mybb.com/thread-167716.html.

4) Yeah that's subjective both are nice. MyBB is more "HTML 5".

1)I don't have the means of a spare computer right now to test the LDAP plugin's compatibility with 1.8, I will try to pick up a PSU so I can boot up a spare machine as a server, but I'm positive it will work on 1.6x, you can see if that meets your needs. I wouldn't be able to get you an answer for about ~3 weeks, if you'd rather try yourself.

2) Throw a suggestion to the team, it's super reasonable imo and it might be tossed in. I haven't looked at the code but I can't imagine it'd be too hard to implement.

3) To be fair, I read both threads and only the second one I really had an idea of what you meant. What do you need added to the editor? Have you tried one of the custom editors?
(2015-02-27, 09:55 AM)sayannara Wrote: [ -> ]Well I don't know what your job is. I don't know where you work. But you can't just write "Not true".

WMware vSphere web client can use Windows session authentification, OTRS which is a ticketing application can be used with LDAP, in a University I have seen many applications using LDAP, PHPBB, HTTP Commander, ....

Actually I can - I'm not just referring to where I work. 

Just because something can use LDAP, doesn't mean that the Sys Admin actually chooses to work with it. 
(2015-02-27, 07:07 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-27, 09:55 AM)sayannara Wrote: [ -> ]Well I don't know what your job is. I don't know where you work. But you can't just write "Not true".

Actually I can - I'm not just referring to where I work. 

Just because something can use LDAP, doesn't mean that the Sys Admin actually chooses to work with it. 

I don't see how that's relavent. I've worked with LDAP in various organizations maybe close to 150-250 times. I find it to hone bad practices, but it is what it is, it is useful and fairly decent. Active directory uses LDAP 2/3 IIRC anyways so there is no point arguing about it.
Lo. Thanks for your answer. If I chose MyBB I'll take the last version 1.8 and I won't take the risk to use a MOD that will maybe not be maintained in future version.

Quote:To be fair, I read both threads and only the second one I really had an idea of what you meant.
Okay sorry english is not my mother tong. The goal is simple: when you create BBCode like a spoiler, text style, etc... I would like to add a button that include these BBCode, so the user can use it in the editor. Otherwise how can they know how to use the feature ? All this is built-in with a PHPbb forum. Hope I'am clear enaugh now.
sayannara,

We've discussed including the feature into the editor whereby buttons could be automatically and easily included in the UI. If I remember correctly, we declined it because of the complexity of implementing it.

http://www.sceditor.com/documentation/custom-bbcodes/ might be a helpful resource to you. I'm not sure what your skill level is in dealing with code, so if you need help, don't hesitate to ask or post a tutorial request in the 1.8 Support section.
(2015-03-03, 03:30 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]sayannara,

We've discussed including the feature into the editor whereby buttons could be automatically and easily included in the UI. If I remember correctly, we declined it because of the complexity of implementing it.

http://www.sceditor.com/documentation/custom-bbcodes/ might be a helpful resource to you. I'm not sure what your skill level is in dealing with code, so if you need help, don't hesitate to ask or post a tutorial request in the 1.8 Support section.

i will return to develop this http://community.mybb.com/thread-156575.html and i will release 1.0 version until end of this month
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8