MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Noob Mode. Because forums are dying.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Really, I think punBB and fluxBB are along the lines of what you are talking about, to a large extent. MyBB has always been a more powerful forum software, and at this point I don't really see that changing.

I agree, it should be both powerful and simple out of the box, but there is no doubt that 2.0 is going to be a major step towards modernizing the software, so I don't see them stripping it down to the bare basics at this point.
(2014-08-07, 06:08 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]tl;dr: No noob mode and if you were too lazy to read the entire post, you probably should skip out on being an administrator. That title is definitely not for you.

I was too lazy to try to parse your giant text-block. More paragraphs, please :')
Noob Mode? The problem is that if they hide too much then, it can be hard to find the features which you need. It took me years before I even found the User Views feature in the ACP. Mostly due to not knowing that it even existed.
He's talking about user view, not admin view.
(2014-08-07, 06:10 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]He's talking about user view, not admin view.
Quote:Subscribe to this thread
An example on this very thread. Hidden away at the bottom of the page.
If I didn't explicitly know that this existed then, I would probably overlook it.
I really don't think the software needs to be made simpler to use. I challenge you guys to see how easy it is administrating use VBulletin. It is a royal pain to deal with.

I really don't feel a person should own a website if they don't at least know basic HTML and CSS. How can it really be your site if you aren't the one doing work? There are plenty of tutorials online to teach users the basics and more advanced concepts of those.
(2014-08-07, 06:57 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't think the software needs to be made simpler to use. I challenge you guys to see how easy it is administrating use VBulletin. It is a royal pain to deal with.

I really don't feel a person should own a website if they don't at least know basic HTML and CSS. How can it really be your site if you aren't the one doing work? There are plenty of tutorials online to teach users the basics and more advanced concepts of those.
To be honest, vBulletin is currently a disaster. IB really dropped the ball with vB5. A better comparison would be XF/phpBB/IPB/SMF/etc. as they're atleast relevant. Who knows, maybe vB6 will be a masterpiece, but I'm just not seeing it.

Making things easier for the end-user is the way to go, although I don't think forums need to be "reimagined" like some of the new forum software like Discourse are doing, with a million ways to make things simpler for the admin by simply removing much of the functionality.
That said, it can be hard to actually find what you want in the ACP until, you get used to it and have a good idea where everything is. Maybe, a search system or some helpful tips might be useful.
Even things like moving the ModTools drop-down so, you don't have to scroll to the bottom of the page whenever you want to close a topic or move it would be useful.

As for doing work, I believe that you shouldn't need to do more work than you have to do. Back in the old days, installing mods was a colossal waste of time, compared to modern plugins. That said, there comes a point where simplifying things too much either takes away from the software or it creates potential security issues (uploading plugins).
(2014-08-07, 06:21 PM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-07, 06:10 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]He's talking about user view, not admin view.
Quote:Subscribe to this thread
An example on this very thread. Hidden away at the bottom of the page.
If I didn't explicitly know that this existed then, I would probably overlook it.

Agree. I would expect in 2.0 that such things will be addressed. But that is a very, very small thing and has nothing to do with noob mode – it's just a poor design that should be corrected. That said, you can easily correct this via a small template change.

(2014-08-07, 06:57 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't think the software needs to be made simpler to use. I challenge you guys to see how easy it is administrating use VBulletin. It is a royal pain to deal with.

Did you read the original post? He is talking about for forum users, not administrators.

I am not hugely technically minded but I've never found the MyBB Admin CP to be a problem. Some tasks seem a little awkward but I've never had trouble figuring out how to accomplish something.
(2014-08-07, 07:53 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Agree. I would expect in 2.0 that such things will be addressed. But that is a very, very small thing and has nothing to do with noob mode – it's just a poor design that should be corrected. That said, you can easily correct this via a small template change.

Did you read the original post? He is talking about for forum users, not administrators.

I am not hugely technically minded but I've never found the MyBB Admin CP to be a problem. Some tasks seem a little awkward but I've never had trouble figuring out how to accomplish something.

I agree, but it snot really worth complaining about simple layout issues that are subjective. As long as the functionality it there, the admin (who should know some html/css to alter templates) can make that tweak to layout.

I feel that the ACP here is one of the best. Very simple to use and it is plugin friendly as well.
(2014-08-07, 08:25 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, but it snot really worth complaining about simple layout issues that are subjective. As long as the functionality it there, the admin (who should know some html/css to alter templates) can make that tweak to layout.

I feel that the ACP here is one of the best. Very simple to use and it is plugin friendly as well.
This is Woltlab Burning Board 3's ACP: (see screenshot [here]).
Have you used the Plugin Uploader plugin? WBB3 had something similar built into the core so all package updates (core and add-on/plugins) could be done via remote address and an administrator could do it from anywhere (if they knew the Master Password). Something MyBB 2.0 could definitely use. Updates wouldn't be as much of a problem if a system like Plugin Uploader was part of the core. MyBB updates tend to reverse template modifications for Configuration -> Plugins causing you to "update" Plugin Uploader or re-install it, depending on how much the templates were reversed from a MyBB update. WBB3's user interface (both admin and end-user) doesn't scream absolute simplicity. Woltlab only made it easy to navigate (again, this includes the end-user side as well) without stripping out a bunch of features like what the OP calling for (end-user side).
Pages: 1 2 3 4