MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Noob Mode. Because forums are dying.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Facebook is only a social network for clearly talking to your real life friends and family and promoting your site or business/create pages for fun because your bored nothing more.

and I would laugh if someone didn't know how to use a forum it seems simple when I first started at 14. that was 4 years ago.
It's because you started using forums at a young age that they are easy for you.

Why is everyone always down-talking social in defense of forums? They're separate entities. You just sound insecure.
a forum ain't no social network or blog. If your members tend to compare your forum to facebook, then something is wrong with it.
Can't say I've read the majority of other replies to this thread, but from the first post I can see the idea behind this, and personally I like it. I agree, forums are dying. People are leaving forums for social networks. I'm not comparing them and disagree that they can be compared, but I would definitely say that people tend to stick to someone they're used to or that makes it easy to do things, so the idea of making a simple mode in MyBB that's still more functional than lite/archive mode is excellent.

It'll probably be left to theme developers that will leave out links or to some sort of plugin, even though I'd like to see this in core. Something that stands between the usual forum layout and lite/archive mode but still retains some of its visual appearance would be great.
(2014-08-15, 03:16 PM)groovybluedog Wrote: [ -> ]Can't say I've read the majority of other replies to this thread, but from the first post I can see the idea behind this, and personally I like it. I agree, forums are dying. People are leaving forums for social networks. I'm not comparing them and disagree that they can be compared, but I would definitely say that people tend to stick to someone they're used to or that makes it easy to do things, so the idea of making a simple mode in MyBB that's still more functional than lite/archive mode is excellent.

It'll probably be left to theme developers that will leave out links or to some sort of plugin, even though I'd like to see this in core. Something that stands between the usual forum layout and lite/archive mode but still retains some of its visual appearance would be great.

Can you please read the replies in this discussion before you reply then? I'd rather not argue all of the things which have been argued already. Archive mode feels like a legacy feature, I'm not sure why it still exists. It might have been relevant a long time ago, if ever, but it really feels unnecessary today.

Forums are dying? Yeah, right. If you say so. Maybe, if people used your forums for the same purpose as a social network rather than, proper discussion. I've seen people going crazy over how terrible FB Groups can be. I really don't think it's a solution.
In my case i must say that what threatens my forum is not social sites, but phone apps like whatsapp and his group conversations.

To fight that what I made is to make like "whatsapp" moderators, that create that chat channel to join muy forum users, so they talk about the forum, and not about things related to the forum. I don't know if I'm explaining myself, sorry for the bad english.

Today I finished milestone one in creating a simpler theme in my forum, this is it:

http://www.foro125.com/showthread.php?tid=6460

As my forum has a dynamic moving background i post you a link to a example thread where you can see how simple i left it for new users to forums.

Hover the mouse over the users avatars.
(2014-09-09, 03:00 PM)Majes Wrote: [ -> ]In my  case i must say that what threatens my forum is not social sites, but phone apps like whatsapp and his group conversations.

To fight that what I made is to make like "whatsapp" moderators, that create that chat channel to join muy forum users, so they talk about the forum, and not about things related to the forum. I don't know if I'm explaining myself, sorry for the bad english.

I don't exactly see how a dynamic moving background is particularly great and hiding statistics until you hover over a user isn't a bad idea.
Additionally, if there's anything which pushes me away from registering on a forum.. It's an annoying overlay or other nuisance asking me to register.

I don't really see chat apps as real competition. It's not like you can't integrate a chat system into a forum. It's been done many times, however I rarely ever see any sort of quality discussion on a chat system.
As for group conversations on a chat system, they tend to have a huge mass of **** in them for the most part and they are hard to search through.
(2014-09-10, 10:14 AM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]Additionally, if there's anything which pushes me away from registering on a forum.. It's an annoying overlay or other nuisance asking me to register.

"You need to sign up to view the links in this post" *close tab* and a mental note to not visit again.
Forums are too social networks.

The definition of a social network is:
"a dedicated website or other application that enables users to communicate with each other by posting information, comments, messages, images, etc."

Forums have always been social networks.
HolyPhoenix, you're being pedantic.

A few of my users started a WhatsApp channel and I can attest that forum activity has decreased, but if they like it better who am I to stop them?
Pages: 1 2 3 4