MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Noob Mode. Because forums are dying.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2014-09-13, 06:49 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]HolyPhoenix, you're being pedantic.

A few of my users started a WhatsApp channel and I can attest that forum activity has decreased, but if they like it better who am I to stop them?

I think of it more as product differentiation. The signal to noise ratio is a lot higher in a forum but by nature it is not an ideal format for idle chit chat. I'm not sure why you would want it to be.

To the OP, I don't think forums are dying - they are still the best mode for focused Q & A. And I don't think a dumber format would attract smarter conversation.
I second that. Especially if you are searching for informations posted years ago you'll have no chance in a noob mode social system - try to find one post from 2009 by keyword on facebook.

On some of my forums, the threads being found most in google are tutorials that have been posted four years ago. Forums are not dying, forums are just no social engine. Use things like elgg instead.
I've noticed this, lots of people asking me 'how do I use the forums', 'where do I post'.

Even if I tell them to go to a specific category, by simply clicking it, they do not know where to find that.
There are help documents that give some basic usage instructions for the forum. Admins can modify these to their liking even.
Pages: 1 2 3 4