MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editing Report Reasons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just installed 1.8 on a development server, looking at the changes that are being made. I was shocked to discover an epic new way of reporting posts. Instead of an open field, there is now a dropdown box with options, and the other option opens up the box for an open field if required.

I like this idea, however I went to look in to how I could change those reasons. They are currently "Breaks Forum Rules", "Inappropriate Content", "Spam Content", "Wrong Forum" and "Other. I looked all over the Admin CP for options to change these with no luck. Searched MySQL with no luck.

Then found the report.php file which showed that the reasons would be in a template. I went to the "report_reasons" template to find this;

<select name="reason" id="report_reason">
			<option value="rules">{$lang->report_reason_rules}</option>
			<option value="bad">{$lang->report_reason_bad}</option>
			<option value="spam">{$lang->report_reason_spam}</option>
			<option value="wrong">{$lang->report_reason_wrong}</option>
          <option value="wrong">Test option</option>
			<option value="other">{$lang->report_reason_other}</option>
		</select>

As you see, I attemped to add my own reason. I did the test option with the value as "test" and when attempting to report under this reason, it asks me for more details but doesn't provide a field. When I put the name of another value, like "wrong", like you see above, it works like the other options.

This is kind of a bug/issue and kind of a suggestion in a way. Why is editing these not easier, how does it rely on the "value" field and where are these values configured? How does having "wrong" treat the report? Is it some kind of hidden priority system that wrong forum would be put lower in the moderation list than say, breaking of rules?

Hmm...
We can probably work on that later. But you can specify a custom reason in the report if you want.
@groovybluedog - I agree with you... it is really umconfortable. There should be a setting for this in GUI... in 1.8.1 MyBB I hope
(2014-08-03, 01:12 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]We can probably work on that later. But you can specify a custom reason in the report if you want.

I can, however while I no doubt love having a custom field (one person can't think up all of the reasons why someone may become offended or distressed), people are more likely to report with the easier it gets.

For example, if you have to call your mobile phone network, would you rather press through a bunch of options or be put through straight to an advisor? If people go straight through, they'll use the helpline, yet if they have to go through options they may avoid it - by putting in my own custom pre-set reasons, people can much more easily report, and it will also allow me to get really detailed with the reasons, thus having a more precise pre-set description of the issue coming through to the ModCP.

(2014-08-03, 01:52 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]@groovybluedog - I agree with you... it is really umconfortable. There should be a setting for this in GUI... in 1.8.1 MyBB I hope

Hopefully so. What I'd really like to know is what the difference in the values are. What would happen if I just made everything;

<select name="reason" id="report_reason">
            <option value="bad">REASON 1</option>
            <option value="bad">REASON 2</option>
            <option value="bad">REASON 3</option>
            <option value="bad">REASON 4</option>
          <option value="bad">REASON 5</option>
            <option value="other">OTHER REASON</option>
        </select> 

What I'd love to know is what the value is actually for... like... does "bad" make a report higher up in the list than another value? Etc.

Room for thought!
I agree. Moreover, there should be a posibility to set different report types for different content types. For example we shouldn't be able to report a user profile for a "wrong forum".

I posted about this a while ago: http://community.mybb.com/thread-154446.html
(2014-08-03, 04:15 PM)Adriano Wrote: [ -> ]I agree. Moreover, there should be a posibility to set different report types for different content types. For example we shouldn't be able to report a user profile for a "wrong forum".

I posted about this a while ago: http://community.mybb.com/thread-154446.html

Apologies I missed that thread or I would of added my feedback to that - but nonetheless the issue still exists and I agree completely with you. I too noticed that things like wrong forum were on reputation points. These should all be separated and configurable. I also think some sort of priority system as well as colors should be put in.

For example, if someone selected "Illegal Discussion" on a family based forum, I'd love to have that report at the top of the list, with a bold report title, signed off by being colored in red. Whereas something like "Pointless Posting" (someone just posting to get their count up) could easily wait and take a lower priority with no formatting on the name, and I can deal with that sitting at the bottom of the list for half an hour.

Of course, this is about communities and all are different so everyone will do it differently, but at absolutely minimum, having seperate reports for different areas of the site like your thread suggested is certainly needed.

I also spotted when looking at a demo of IP Board, that they can set their reports to "In Progress" - maybe something like this can be integrated? Some sort of assignment to a certain staff member? Ability to have an email sent to a certain person if a certain category is chosen, or have a post soft deleted (e.g. a post reported as advertising against the rules).

In general the whole reports system should have it's own submenu in the adminCP and be a completely configurable element at core. As more trolls join the internet, and as MyBB integrates StopForumSpam and Spam Pruning, it's time to allow easier action against real people who are either making mistakes or are actual trolls but aren't doing activities that an automatic process can pick up.

It's bad enough MyBB doesn't have a core mobile layout yet so this as a core feature would be excellent, not as a plugin.
Will be added in the next 6-12 months.
And add an option for different color for each reason Wink

@fxzt - you can help and send a pull request with this feature, feel free to do this Wink it is easy to complain! Smile
(2014-08-03, 06:08 PM)fxzt Wrote: [ -> ]Will be added in the next 6-12 months.

*cry* - Wish development was faster Toungue

(2014-08-03, 06:18 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]And add an option for different color for each reason Wink

@fxzt - you can help and send a pull request with this feature, feel free to do this Wink it is easy to complain! Smile

I'd love that, or some sort of categorisation.

As more trolls find ways around services like StopForumSpam, reporting and safety tools will need to advance at the same or faster rate to make the reporting feature more efficient. It's not very efficient within MyBB at the moment and it's got me considering other options if I want to start a serious community - it's a sensitive one where there could be lots of abuse so a good reporting tool is needed and MyBB simply isn't there with it yet.
(2014-08-03, 06:18 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]And add an option for different color for each reason Wink

I have tried posting suggestions on the MyBB forum like I am supposed to. Seven of my eight suggestions don't have a reply from MyBB developers. I think the developers hope that we develop plugins ourselves or wait 6-24 months for them to add the features people want in core. OP will most likely be waiting for a plugin to do this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4