MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Profile Comments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Feature Suggestion/Enhancement: Profile Comments

Ability for users to add comments on other users profile. They should be able to configure who can leave and view comments. E.G. Friends, Everyone, None. Administrator should also be able to turn the comments on or off on a global basis.

Expected functionality

[Image: 7410-1269125131-profilecomments_4.png]
For me this feature is no different than a shoutbox or status updates, which are more social software features and not something that I feel would add value to the core of MyBB, which is forum software.

I think it would detract from discussions in forums, much the same as shoutboxes ostensibly do.
Profile comments don't take away from threads. It lets someone thank for a post for example without creating spam in the topic. It can also be for things like saying happy birthday.
+1. Maybe we should also add a word limit.
I'm sure it could be used for many things, but no one's given a reason of what it should be used for? Or what value it adds? The things already mentioned are already covered by other things.

If you want a one on one conversation with someone, PM them. I don't think there's sufficient need for a medium that's halfway between a PM and a thread. I don't think there's a lot of people who really need to say something only to one person but publicly?
I don't see much use for this if 2.0 is going to have the ability to tag a user. a lot of times people will add profile comments if they need specific help with something they know you have knowledge with. with 2.0, you could just tag a user, which will then send an alert to them (iirc from the dev announcements and confirmed features).
(2015-06-01, 08:18 PM)Will P Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think there's sufficient need for a medium that's halfway between a PM and a thread. I don't think there's a lot of people who really need to say something only to one person but publicly?

There apparently is, otherwise social media like Facebook wouldn't be so popular.

Profile comments would be nice to see, but I wouldn't mind if they were a plugin either. So basically I'm indifferent here and I'd rather see other features implemented.
If Profile Comments are added to the core, it would be nice to have an option to turn them off (similar to how right now, you can turn off thread ratings). I personally think they're more suited to a plugin, but it isn't a big deal to have them included in the core as long as we can turn it off if we don't need that feature.
This functionality have 'plugin' written all over it. I support not adding it to the core.
In my opinion, I agree that it is a bit of a side-feature, so I understand many who are pushing for it to stay as a plugin. MyBB has always been very plugin friendly anyway, so that won't necessarily make things difficult for forum owners, plus it keeps the core lightweight and easy to maintain. However, with that said, the code requirements for this feature are honestly pretty light, and the profile comments plugin was probably, hands down, one of the most popular plugins ever released fro MyBB 1.6.X forums. I agree with jshort that if it's added, it should be something that can be disabled, but I suppose I wouldn't complain if the development team did decide to make it a part of core.
Pages: 1 2 3