MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Discussion] Page Management System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Sometimes you want a page without comments or without any extra decorations. Forum rules are a good example, as are terms of service pages, privacy policy pages, contact us pages, and more. This is evidenced by the large number of downloads existing page management plugins for 1.x have received.

Pages would never have commenting in the core (though plugins may add such a thing - I don't see why or how that would be at all useful) and would be intended to display basic content that could be hooked into by plugins. Right now if plugins want to add new pages, they hook into misc.php or add a new PHP file. With a core pages system, they'd simply add a new page controller or action and gain the benefits of "pretty" URLs and easy ACP management.

We've already discussed multiple times that we really want to remove the portal system from the core. With pages, the portal could simply become another page making use of a controller action to provide the same functionality (or more) as the current 1.x portal.php page provides. The advantage of it being a page is that it could be easily removed by those who don't want it and expanded by those who do want it.

I would hardly say it's a waste of resources given the above potential uses, the fact it overwhelmingly so far has been voted in favour (72% at the time of writing) and the fact that it's a very simple thing to implement.

Regarding announcements, we've already said that announcements will be staying but will just be threads with a special field attached (e.g.: "is_announcement": true) in order to stop duplicating efforts.
pages is a very useful feature for static content, as Euan mentioned above.
well then put a switch/option/disable on the decorations like author and comments, it should be part of the authors arsenal.....

this is 2016, lets start moving software along

And the fact that the PORTAL has not developed very much, shows that even when people download that pages mod they are not using it fully

Pages mods invariably is just people wanting to duplicate the blog style appearances.....i have yet to see a good blog from a forum package, like vB or IBP or xenforo.....people want it and find it limited and rush back to WP, Drupal, Joomla

there is a tutorial on how easily to make a new page, if it can be done easily from the ACP, THEN why not, but it needs tools to pull assets/posts from the forums Toungue
Pages will be manageable from the ACP. As I mentioned in the OP, pages would be able to be static HTML, use templates, be stored PHP or even call page controller actions. So yes, they could pull assets/posts/threads/users/whatever from the forums with no problem whatsoever. They could also pull additional information such as game servers, video feeds, recent news updates, and more. Adding this ability to the core would be moving us forward IMO. The reason the portal hasn't moved forward much is because the default options and tools available for it are extremely limited and weak and don't allow much customisation. Editing it using plugins is also extremely difficult and you en up basically having to rewrite it which is a pain to maintain.

Pages are in no way a replacement for blogs, but they do add a lot more flexibility to the overall package. We've already discussed adding the calendar as an official mod. With pages in the core, the mod could just hook into the core pages feature to add the calendar as a custom page (thus allowing multiple calendars with different names if written correctly).
(2016-01-29, 09:19 PM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]well then put a switch/option/disable on the decorations like author and comments, it should be part of the authors arsenal.....

this is 2016, lets start moving software along

And the fact that the PORTAL has not developed very much, shows that even when people download that pages mod they are not using it fully

Pages mods invariably is just people wanting to duplicate the blog style appearances.....i have yet to see a good blog from a forum package, like vB or IBP or xenforo.....people want it and find it limited and rush back to WP, Drupal, Joomla

there is a tutorial on how easily to make a new page, if it can be done easily from the ACP, THEN why not, but it needs tools to pull assets/posts from the forums Toungue

a page management system that's included with mybb is probably more efficient than having to use joomla/wordpress/drupal for a few custom pages. I know I'd much rather have everything integrated as one rather than having to use X system for 1 thing, Y system for another, and so on..

also, being that the page manager system was very popular as a plugin shows that people want that functionality added to their forum. furthermore, it would be a very bad idea for the overall future growth of the mybb product if they're basically telling users to go find a better forum software because they won't implement very popular features.
Quote:having to use joomla/wordpress/drupal for a few custom pages.

for a few custom pages you could use the threads as "static" page (i still dont see much difference as WP makes difference between static pages and posts, all the same to me), or

use the tutorial on how to make a custom pages: it s cut and paste one php file then add your custom html content.

secondly, the most popular pages mod stopped with mybb 1.6 which means this poll is sorta contrary to popular wishes, or what the modders could or wanted to make. In other words, if more people wanted it, it would have been made.

If you are gonna bring the pages mod into core, IT MUST NOT BE A SIMPLE STATIC PAGE mod, it must at the very least do what the PORTAL currently does, and it SHOULD be able to pulls assets, threads and users for the CALENDAR, maybe even the GALLERY attachment....

BUT i have to add that Xthreads by itself it can change the PAGE LAYOUT of a whole forum, its Threads and posts, so you CAN set up a "static" pages forum....ITS drawback (and maybe its strength) is that its FORUM specific change ONLY.....

And global system of pages is what "I" need: PORTAL, CALENDAR, GALLERY, DOWNLOADS,

SO developers need to think of the tools to make those things happen, coz a pages mod that end up for a few static pages when the portal is removed is useless to me !! Sad
(2016-01-30, 09:01 AM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]

for a few custom pages you could use the threads as "static" page (i still dont see much difference as WP makes difference between static pages and posts, all the same to me), or

use the tutorial on how to make a custom pages: it s cut and paste one php file then add your custom html content.

secondly, the most popular pages mod stopped with mybb 1.6 which means this poll is sorta contrary to popular wishes, or what the modders could or wanted to make. In other words, if more people wanted it, it would have been made.

If you are gonna bring the pages mod into core, IT MUST NOT BE A SIMPLE STATIC PAGE mod, it must at the very least do what the PORTAL currently does, and it SHOULD be able to pulls assets, threads and users for the CALENDAR, maybe even the GALLERY attachment....

BUT i have to add that Xthreads by itself it can change the PAGE LAYOUT of a whole forum, its Threads and posts, so you CAN set up a "static" pages forum....ITS drawback (and maybe its strength) is that its FORUM specific change ONLY.....

And global system of pages is what "I" need: PORTAL, CALENDAR, GALLERY, DOWNLOADS,

SO developers need to think of the tools to make those things happen, coz a pages mod that end up for a few static pages when the portal is removed is useless to me !! Sad

sure, you could use a thread if you want, but a lot of people don't want to judging by the amount of downloads and popularity the page manager plugin received when it was released. sometimes folks just want a clean static page without the extra fluff that a thread has. personally, I think a static page that's built using a page manager looks more professional.

I'd also like to point out that building a custom php page without using any type of plugin/manager is less efficient in the management department. people use CMS type products because it increases their efficiency and groups most tasks into 1 system.

most 1.6 plugins will work just fine with mybb 1.8...take google seo for example. I don't understand your argument here.
(2016-01-30, 09:01 AM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]

Did you read my post at all? This is the exact opposite of what I would like to add. Even the first post in the topic mentions the page system being able to use PHP, use templates, use static HTML or use controller actions (which inherently means using PHP...). This makes the pages totally capable of replacing gallery mods, download mods, etc.
well good then, if you dont mind getting the portal "page" as an example and then we can duplicate it for other pages LOL

Was gonna duplicate the portal.php
One of the advantages of including this in the core is that you would be able to make these pages through the admin panel (as I'm understanding it, correct me if I'm wrong, Euan). That to me is a huge bonus over the current method of doing it (needing to create a new PHP page and upload it). I have staff members on my board who I would love to be able to help manage extra pages, but I don't want to give them FTP access. I fully support including the custom page system in the core.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5