MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Discussion] Page Management System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
NO this is in CORE when your moderators need access to the ACP, instead of just posting to the forums...which is big disadvantage for admins like myself who want the moderators more control but not access to the ACP

if you have SEO URLs and you can create permalinks, it really doesnt matter where you make the posts
(2016-01-31, 05:20 PM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]NO this is in CORE when your moderators need access to the ACP, instead of just posting to the forums...which is big disadvantage for admins like myself who want the moderators more control but not access to the ACP

Emphasis mine.

Your responses to this topic are absolutely mind boggling and incredibly self-centered. That's fine that you don't want to give moderators access to the ACP so they can manage pages. You've made it clear that you would rather they use the posts function instead. More power to you, but not everybody runs their boards the same way, and it's absurd how combative you're being over a feature that nobody is going to force you to use.

There are fundamental differences between pages and posts. It isn't just a matter of where they are located, but a matter of functionality. Up until now, I have created my own pages to get the effect that I need. Including this page manager in the core would mean I can have other staff members help me without needing to give them FTP access. That allows other admins and, in my case case, moderators, to manage different pages without needing to go through me to do so. Everything that I've read about this feature in this thread sounds great for my needs, and I fully support it being included in the core product.
emphasis yours indeed....LOL

Quote:Everything that I've read about this feature in this thread sounds great for my needs

and the other option is the better one, which is to integrate Xthreads straight into core.......really saves on a secondary posting option
(2016-01-31, 04:30 PM)jshort Wrote: [ -> ]One of the advantages of including this in the core is that you would be able to make these pages through the admin panel (as I'm understanding it, correct me if I'm wrong, Euan). That to me is a huge bonus over the current method of doing it (needing to create a new PHP page and upload it). I have staff members on my board who I would love to be able to help manage extra pages, but I don't want to give them FTP access. I fully support including the custom page system in the core.

Yes, they would be editable via the admin panel and could possibly also be editable via the moderator control panel if we decided to go down that route (and controlled by group permissions).
(2016-01-31, 06:49 PM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]emphasis yours indeed....LOL

Quote:Everything that I've read about this feature in this thread sounds great for my needs

and the other option is the better one, which is to integrate Xthreads straight into core.......really saves on a secondary posting option

mybb has to be focused on a broad appeal, not something that 1 particular forum admin doesn't care for.

xthreads has a learning curve that a basic page probably won't have. can xthreads be made to be easier for the end users? I don't know..probably!
Everything has a learning curve, and like most if not all web applications, they are just a bunch of switches.

And exposing your forums to the moderators run the risk of getting hijacked like for phpfreaks
(2016-02-01, 08:07 AM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]And exposing your forums to the moderators run the risk of getting hijacked like for phpfreaks

Then don't hire moderators that you don't trust, and the ones you do trust, make sure their information is secured? I don't think that's a huge deal? Moderators, like all other types of staff, are users that you're trusting to moderate and contribute on an administrative level to your forum. Moderators with minimal access to things just shows that their board owner doesn't trust them, which greatly discourages members. If you're so worried about security, then enable 2FA or another system with the same function so that it's a longer trek for someone to hack into staff accounts. 

As for this feature, I would highly recommend putting it as a core feature, as like Leefish said, I also add it to every board I've used. Even if I don't intend to use it at the time, there's always the possibility, and I'd rather have it and not use it than need it and not have it. This core feature having pretty urls is also a huge plus, because it doesn't have the long end urls like "{board}.{TLD}/misc.php?page=pagename" through the page manager. Yeah, you can get around that by adding a new PHP file with it fetching the templates and adding a new page through that, it would be much more efficient and user-friendly to have it as a core feature like suggested.
Hi,

Your feature suggestion has been accepted as a planned feature to be implemented in MyBB 2.0. Thanks for your contribution!
So once added and oage created it gives me a url i can enter the url and page comes up bow hiw to add a button on main bb to get to the page ..and thank you
(2017-05-29, 10:24 PM)Loon Wrote: [ -> ]So once added and oage created it gives me a url i can enter the url and page comes up bow hiw to add a button on main bb to get to the page ..and thank you

I don't think any of this has been designed or coded for 2.0 yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5