MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: post edit history
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I saw this functionality on a forum I was chatting on today that uses discourse. I must say, it was very nifty. if you click on their edit icon in the top right corner of the post you've edited, it'll open a new window where it compares your original post on the left side to the edited post on the right side, with the edits highlighted in green.
better as plugin.
and what i know already has plugin of this in 1.8 made by Starpaul20 http://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=33
this should be core so it stays in sync with the development of the rest of the postbit functionality for mybb 2.0, imho.
(2015-08-22, 10:44 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]this should be core so it stays in sync with the development of the rest of the postbit functionality for mybb 2.0, imho.

i not like this type of feature because personally this only increases size of database.
Personally plugin like Report post to forum http://community.mybb.com/thread-49436.html is more usefull and use low resource to against bad post.
(2015-08-22, 11:01 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-22, 10:44 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]this should be core so it stays in sync with the development of the rest of the postbit functionality for mybb 2.0, imho.

i not like this type of feature because personally this only increases size of database.
Personally plugin like Report post to forum http://community.mybb.com/thread-49436.html is more usefull and use low resource to against bad post.

doesn't a plugin - and it's functionality - increase the size of the db, too? of course it should be configurable by admins if they do not want to log edit histories on their boards.
(2015-08-22, 11:37 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]doesn't a plugin - and it's functionality - increase the size of the db, too? of course it should be configurable by admins if they do not want to log edit histories on their boards.

Report post to forum use very less space in database... because will made only copy of post that reported and more usefull personally. Histories will save any change, use more space and resource and less usefull personally.
(2015-08-23, 12:58 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-22, 11:37 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]doesn't a plugin - and it's functionality - increase the size of the db, too?  of course it should be configurable by admins if they do not want to log edit histories on their boards.

Report post to forum use very less space in database... because will made only copy of post that reported and more usefull personally. Histories will save any change, use more space and resource and less usefull personally.

please keep this thread about my suggestion. we can talk about the merit of your suggestion in another thread.
The database size is surely not a reason for a decision for us (except saving attachments in the database, that won't happen). We won't bloat the database of course but saving the edited post, the editor and the timestamp won't do that.
Plus any history would likely have pruning options.
(2015-08-23, 08:25 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]The database size is surely not a reason for a decision for us (except saving attachments in the database, that won't happen). We won't bloat the database of course but saving the edited post, the editor and the timestamp won't do that.

only post table in my forum has more than 200 MB...
if save all change edit of all users... and with possibility to one post edited several times (if user edited one post 3 times, is same thing that user made 4 posts)... will become easily the second most used table in the system.

If you want to save only bad message to a user before it will edit It is much smarter use plugin like Report post to forum and more usefull too personally (to discuss reported message between moderators before take some action).

Unless post edit history has another purpose.
Pages: 1 2 3