MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 2.0 Can Read or Support Files .xsl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Josh H.,  Thanks for feedback and comments,

I understand your position and respect!

No problem, my suggestion stay posted! 
Staff can deleted post if they wish, it's just a suggestion!

Life goes on...

Best regard!
Hey,

I don't know what benefits we could get from that, as I hardly see anywhere on MyBB where XML needs stylesheeting.
Like, unless you decide to re-write MyBB as a whole into only producing XML files, then you'd need XSL to tell the browser how to display it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, there's no need at all for that sort of technology on a bulletin board.

Would having it on MyBB make it better? No, if stuffing something with useful/less things is what makes it better, then I demand a chat board, a blogging system and a video sharing system built into MyBB. It just doesn't make sense.

But that's just my point of view.
(2015-10-30, 01:33 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: or teach it in schools or educational institutions

Well, schools also teach kids HTML 3.1 stuff. That doesn't mean it's great. Schools only tend to update curriculum every other eon.

Additionally, you are the first person I have ever heard of using XSLT before. I have never, ever seen XSLT used in any other project before. I'm not everywhere on the Internet, I've browsed a lot of web application projects before, and haven't ever seen XSLT used. Ever.

Beyond that, we asked for examples of how XSLT is better than CSS for designing things (i.e. why is the technology good to use other than for the sake of not being part of the status quo), and have seen nothing other than that it is an XML-formatted, more verbose stylesheet alternative. Why is it any better than CSS?

Again, I'm open to being convinced, but the argument for it is going to need a lot more substantiation.

Why does it have to be better than CSS to be acknowledged at all? How much harder is it to just allow it to be processed as normal vs deny XSL processing? Why should MyBB deny processing of XSL at all; what are the benefits of rejecting it? Just because no one uses it, doesn't mean the software should block it from getting processed on the off-chance that someone actually does decide to use it when they decide to extend their board installation. Is it really so bad to at least allow MyBB to let XSL files be processed? I'm curious to know why XSL is being refused at all. CSS just works. Why can't it be the same way for XSL files?

(2015-10-31, 01:50 AM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]Would having it on MyBB make it better? No, if stuffing something with useful/less things is what makes it better, then I demand a chat board, a blogging system and a video sharing system built into MyBB. It just doesn't make sense.
That is the lamest excuse I've ever seen. They aren't comparable features. Chat boards, blogging, video sharing are huge features that end up turning into more than just a few lines of code, you could call them "programs" and they can easily be called stand alone products, because they literally have been made as stand alone products before. XSL is a stylesheet that is dependent on the content it's supposed to "decorate" for lack of a better word. When you try to view that single file, you typically get the code output (or "document tree" as a browser would put it) as if it were a text file or JavaScript file.
Quote:Why should MyBB deny processing of XSL at all; what are the benefits of rejecting it?

The benefits outweigh the negatives.

Benefits:
  • The team doesn't have to write a new library which works with Twig, Sass and Less. A huge waste of time for something no one uses.
  • The team (developers, SQA, and support) don't have to worry about supporting an old language which likely none of them know how to use, or have even heard of.
  • The codebase is kept small and manageable.

Negatives:
  • Someone, somewhere, at an unknown date might have the need for processing XSL files in MyBB.

Once again, it's exactly the kind of thing which should be a plugin (or not exist at all, considering the demand).
(2015-10-31, 03:49 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]what are the benefits of rejecting it?
That's not the question at all. There need to be good reasons to add new features because we need to plan, implement and support every feature.
And that's where education faces the reality, and its theories crash into millions of pieces.

(2015-10-31, 03:49 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]That is the lamest excuse I've ever seen. They aren't comparable features. Chat boards, blogging, video sharing are huge features that end up turning into more than just a few lines of code, you could call them "programs" and they can easily be called stand alone products, because they literally have been made as stand alone products before. XSL is a stylesheet that is dependent on the content it's supposed to "decorate" for lack of a better word. When you try to view that single file, you typically get the code output (or "document tree" as a browser would put it) as if it were a text file or JavaScript file.

I think if we did a poll on MyBB.

[ ] I want 2.0 to support video sharing, blogging and chatting.
[ ] I want 2.0 to support XSL.

You'd be amazed by the results.
Anyway, I'd suggest since you know about XSL, why don't you make a small plugin that would allow others (maybe) to benefit from the support of XSL on MyBB? Everyone here is volunteering Smile
I'm going to disagree with XSL being in the core. Even I don't see many requests for custom plugins that require XSL support.
Doesn't supporting XSL involve configuring your browser to serve up XSL files with the proper Content-type and then make your XML content reference the correct XSL file? Where's the work for the MyBB staff?
(2015-11-02, 09:29 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't supporting XSL involve configuring your browser to serve up XSL files with the proper Content-type and then make your XML content reference the correct XSL file? Where's the work for the MyBB staff?
Pretty much what I was trying to ask, but failed completely because apparently making excuses not to let it get processed is more important than explaining why it's getting blocked at all. I always thought that XSL would be processed as normal when XML referenced for it. MyBB 1.8 prevents it completely from being processed, even though an XML file can be processed fine and links to the XSL file. It's only the XSL file that gets ignored and I haven't been able to figure out why.
I personally do not need xml within MyBB. And I think, the 'why do you need it?' is the right question. If you don't ask and answer this question, then you could implement nearly everything and get a monster nobody likes to maintain. If there is no way to implement it as a plugin, you should fight for it if there is a reason why you cannot do it with another way. But 'because it is modern and I want to use it' sounds not really convincing to me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4