MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 2.0 Can Read or Support Files .xsl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2015-10-30, 08:19 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]It's exactly the type of thing which should be a plugin. As I said, it's not widely used and there's basically no demand for it. The team won't be using it, and supporting it will be a hassle. MyBB should remain a minimal forum software which is easy to extend.

Quote:MyBB is the free and open source, intuitive, extensible, and incredibly powerful forum software you've been looking for.

To:
MyBB is the free minimal forum software that contains the things the team does use and does not contain features that are a hassle to support.
MyBB has always been relatively minimal compared to other major forum softwares. Adding features for the sake of adding features isn't the right way to do things.

Even if you disregard my comment about the team not using it in the core software, it's still not going to be used by pretty much anyone. Supporting a feature which isn't used is a waste of time and effort.

One request every 8 years isn't enough to justify supporting it. There's no way any competent developer on the team is going to add a feature without a solid reason.
(2015-11-03, 09:10 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB has always been relatively minimal compared to other major forum softwares. Adding features for the sake of adding features isn't the right way to do things.

Even if you disregard my comment about the team not using it in the core software, it's still not going to be used by pretty much anyone. Supporting a feature which isn't used is a waste of time and effort.

One request every 8 years isn't enough to justify supporting it. There's no way any competent developer on the team is going to add a feature without a solid reason.

My thoughts exactly. Why would I waste my time on a feature used by 3 people out of several thousand, when there are much larger more highly requested features? Got a feature you want to add? Either create a plugin or create a pull request (or pay for someone to do either of those two).

We can't add every single feature that's requested: there simply aren't enough developers or time to do so. We're a very small team (and not all of us are even active) working on MyBB on the side whenever we have (limited) free time. Just because you want a feature, we don't have to make it a priority.
So why go to the moon, when only a few people can land there ? Toungue

Thats just not one small step for man Toungue

Have a plan and then execute it, dont pander to the mob, coz never underestimate the power of stupid people in large number LOL

Not saying you should or should not add this, and i see no use for my needs, but your reason for rejecting is all wrong
...and do not feed the trolls.
(2015-11-03, 12:29 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-03, 09:10 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Supporting a feature which isn't used is a waste of time and effort.

My thoughts exactly. Why would I waste my time on a feature used by 3 people out of several thousand, when there are much larger more highly requested features?

I absolutely agree with your posts - the post by Nathan was quite out of line though in my opinion. It reads like MyBB is heading where the team wants it to and not to what the community needs. 

For me, there is no need for .XSL inside MyBB eighter, I'd not vote for implementation on a poll here.

Sorry, my english is terrible today.
its called leadership for a reason, stick to your principles and be damned

Lite, editable and secure Toungue
(2015-11-03, 01:02 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]I absolutely agree with your posts - the post by Nathan was quite out of line though in my opinion. It reads like MyBB is heading where the team wants it to and not to what the community needs. 

I'm sorry you misunderstood. What I meant was, in the scenario where it was implemented, the team wouldn't use it, let alone anyone else.

I have no influence on team decisions, I'm just a guy with some experience.
(2015-11-03, 01:18 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-03, 01:02 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]I absolutely agree with your posts - the post by Nathan was quite out of line though in my opinion. It reads like MyBB is heading where the team wants it to and not to what the community needs. 

I'm sorry you misunderstood. What I meant was, in the scenario where it was implemented, the team wouldn't use it, let alone anyone else.

I have no influence on team decisions, I'm just a guy with some experience.

well it still precious on his part, the team decided on 
  • The Laravel PHP framework (specifically Laravel 5.1) will be used for backend development.
  • Twig will be the template engine.
  • 2.0 will use jquery 2.x as its base JavaScript library.
  • 2.0 will include full Search Engine Friendly URLs out of the box, along with meta tags and canonicals.
  • A WYSIWYG editor will be included with the option of disabling at the admin and user levels.
  • 2.0 will feature a new, modern, responsive theme.
  • An API will be available to make integration easier.
  • Improved User CP
  • Conversation PMs
  • New Profiles
  • Mobile Functionality
  • There will be modal boxes in 2.0 as Matt wrote in this post
  • Threaded mode will be removed.
Any community input? i doubt it Toungue
Quote:Any community input? i doubt it

Please stop trolling. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Of course the team didn't decide on all those features. What does the team have to gain from it? They don't get paid, they put in tens of thousands of hours into developing free software and supporting users, and they don't accept donations either. The team is a part of the community.
Pages: 1 2 3 4