MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What PHP versions are compatible with MyBB 1.6 and 1.8?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need to upgrade my PHP on my server but I don't want to blow anything up!  I am running PHP 5.4 now but need to go to 5.5 or 5.6.  Will either version work with MyBB 1.6 AND 1.8?
There are no known issues under MyBB 1.8 on PHP 5.5, 5.6 or 7 (also works on latest versions of MySQL 5.7.11 and Apache 2.4.18, so that stack can be safely upgraded).

MyBB 1.6 is no longer supported.
Are there any benefits to going up to v7 ?

Just updated mine to 5.6 but have the option to go to 7....
I realize MyBB 1.6 isn't supported any longer but does anyone know if it will run on PHP 5.6?  I have a 1.6 forum that I cannot upgrade to 1.8 just yet!!
(2016-04-09, 06:58 AM)talkhearts Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any benefits to going up to v7 ?

A question like "Should I upgrade to a newer version of software?" shouldn't even be a thing.. Well, rarely newer versions are broken in some way and you may want to stay on an older one to wait for a fix, at other times software changes so much that you won't like it's new UI or whatever. None of these applies to PHP 7, at least there are no known big issues AFAIK.
(2016-04-09, 02:18 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-09, 06:58 AM)talkhearts Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any benefits to going up to v7 ?

A question like "Should I upgrade to a newer version of software?" shouldn't even be a thing.. Well, rarely newer versions are broken in some way and you may want to stay on an older one to wait for a fix, at other times software changes so much that you won't like it's new UI or whatever. None of these applies to PHP 7, at least there are no known big issues AFAIK.

So, do you think MyBB 1.6.x will run fine on the newest PHP?
I don't know since I have no 1.6.x installation. That depends on the minor version as well, which you didn't provide. It definitely shouldn't break entirety, but there may be some less visible errors/warnings.
(2016-04-09, 04:57 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know since I have no 1.6.x installation. That depends on the minor version as well, which you didn't provide. It definitely shouldn't break entirety, but there may be some less visible errors/warnings.

Sorry, it is in my sig...I am actually running two 1.6.16 installs and one 1.8.7  install on the same server.
MyBB 1.8.12 appears to be incompatible with php 7.0 or 7.1
For me at least changing to either of these results in

"MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue.

Error Type:
MyBB Error (44)
Error Message:
MyBB was unable to load the SQL extension. Please contact the MyBB Group for support. MyBB Website
Please contact the MyBB Group for technical support."

Changing back to php 5.6 restores normal functionality
(2017-07-09, 12:26 PM)ArchPrime Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 1.8.12 appears to be incompatible with php 7.0 or 7.1
For me at least changing to either of these results in

"MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue.

Error Type:
MyBB Error (44)
Error Message:
MyBB was unable to load the SQL extension. Please contact the MyBB Group for support. MyBB Website
Please contact the MyBB Group for technical support."

Changing back to php 5.6 restores normal functionality

You're php version 7.0 and 7.1 don't load the sql extension. It is not an issue with mybb.
Pages: 1 2