MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: For those Firefox lovers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
After reading those Myths I would have to say that the guy is obviously anti-Firefox and therefore is bias against it.

Most of the statements he refers to which compare I.E and Firefox were written before IE7 came out and were therefore true at the time.

It should also be noted that most of his "I.E has this feature" evaluations are with a heavily modded version of I.E, and not the default install (as with Firefox).

As for the Acid2 test, Firefox 2 might not see the face, but Firefox 3 does...

I'm a fan of Opera as well and do use it on occasion, but I prefer the variety I get with Firefox (and of course the caching).
Quote:After reading those Myths I would have to say that the guy is obviously anti-Firefox and therefore is bias against it.

Ugh...bias why? Because he offers proof against the myths of firefox being so great? Anti-Firefox? No I don't think so...just telling the Firefox fanboys some much needed truth. As you exhibit..you refuse to hear the truth that Firefox is by far not the best browser. Test after test...study after study...comparison after comparison. Firefox is NOT a good browser. It's just an IE alternative.

Quote:It should also be noted that most of his "I.E has this feature" evaluations are with a heavily modded version of I.E, and not the default install (as with Firefox).

It should be noted that Opera does just about everything you need from default install. I have no need of any add-ons, plugins, or widgets to gain functionality. I have email client, Torrent, Downloaders, Voice commands, RSS Reader, and lots of other goodies built right in. Could you use Firefox with default install? It's faster than IE or Firefox and that's the truth of it.

Being a fan of the second best browser is fine. But don't go fooling yourself or anyone else that Firefox is anywhere near the category of Opera.
labrocca Wrote:Personally I like knowing who can spell without resorting to a checker.
I like to read text in proper English. Spelling and grammatical errors just annoy me (especially people who are educated in the language but resort to "IM language")
labrocca Wrote:You can also normally tell a persons age by how they type.
I disagree.
I never said that Firefox is the best browser, and I do know that Opera is way more secure. It has way more work put into it than Firefox so it should be. However, I've used Opera and I didn't like the feel of it. I prefer the customisation of Firefox.

My point still stands that a large percentage of the guy's points were version related. They were either made before Firefox 2 or before I.E 7 and were therefore true at the time. If you want to create a list of Firefox Myths, you should keep them updated to keep with the times. You should also only evaluate default installs. Sure, I.E 6 could have tabs, but only with the MSN toolbar, and likewise, Firefox could only have decent tab control with the Tab Mix Plus addon.

I support Firefox because it is a growing project that will one day be an outstanding application. Just because it hasn't got there yet doesn't mean people shouldn't use it. In fact if they didn't then half the bugs wouldn't even be discovered!

It's the same reasoning that we all use to support MyBB instead of phpBB.
DrPoodle Wrote:I never said that Firefox is the best browser, and I do know that Opera is way more secure. It has way more work put into it than Firefox so it should be. However, I've used Opera and I didn't like the feel of it. I prefer the customisation of Firefox.

My point still stands that a large percentage of the guy's points were version related. They were either made before Firefox 2 or before I.E 7 and were therefore true at the time. If you want to create a list of Firefox Myths, you should keep them updated to keep with the times. You should also only evaluate default installs. Sure, I.E 6 could have tabs, but only with the MSN toolbar, and likewise, Firefox could only have decent tab control with the Tab Mix Plus addon.

I support Firefox because it is a growing project that will one day be an outstanding application. Just because it hasn't got there yet doesn't mean people shouldn't use it. In fact if they didn't then half the bugs wouldn't even be discovered!

It's the same reasoning that we all use to support MyBB instead of phpBB.

Yes, because it has a track record of great potential. It's your choice if you want to stick with the grandmother or with the new hot sexy girl.
I wish Opera would install different accents into it's Voice Control though. There is only so long I can go speaking in an American accent before starting to laugh at myself Toungue
Jeesh, why the debate? Labrocca, you slam everyone who likes FF by calling us "fan boys"? Well, obviously you are an Opera "fan boy"! Personally, I'd rather stay away from a browser that pulls every fault of a website and displays it. Not everyone out there that runs a website will even care to be WC3 compliant (or any kind of compliance). I don't! And I KNOW I'm not alone! I'd rather be able to use a browser that is fast and dependable AND will show me the site the way it's supposed to be shown...not look for anything that is coded wrong and point arrows and highlight it in neon!

But that's just my humble opinion. I respect what you do as a coder (after all, I'm a posting member of your forum), but please...I beg you, stop slamming the rest of us just because we don't agree with you! Smile
labrocca Wrote:No comments on Opera?

"Opera invented Tabbed Browsing back in 1994. "

Opera has invented a TON of features for browsing.

He also clearly states that tabbed browsing requires the toolbar in 6x but that 7x has tabbed by default. It's just dry information and he isn't using opinions. If you can't handle the truth of his myth busting then you are a FireFox fanboy too.

It isn't just dry information if he uses the default install of an outdated version of Firefox and compares it to a souped-up install of Internet Explorer.

And for the record, my site has a disclaimer saying it is best viewed in a W3C compliant browser followed by links both to Firefox and Opera.

Competition is always a good thing.
Well, I do have to say something good for Opera. It "forced" me to take a look at one of my themes that looked all screwy in that browser. It was actually an easy fix, so all my themes look good in all three browsers! Smile
Tikitiki Wrote:Opera's caching methods are weird. Forums I go are never updated even when I do a hard refresh with Opera yet it works fine in Firefox. I swear it takes the page downloads it into cache and uses it as static and never renews it even when it's forced to

I've had that same problem. It's a pain when I'm trying to code a new section of my website, and I need to force-refresh all of the time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10