MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: For those Firefox lovers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Cool_Guy Wrote:
msgworld.net Wrote:I love FireFox! But I really like Safari better.

I have used Safari, and it sucks. Almost no features. I hope to be switching to opera soon. Firefox uses way too much memory, 200/300MB. IE is a little better, 100/200MB, but is slower that Fx and Opera.
My Firefox only uses around 100MB or memory, and that is with around 6 tabs open. What add-ons do you have? It sounds like you have one that has a memory leak.
I've had Firefox at 95MB with 25 tabs and 3 windows open. You may want to try turning prefetch off.

"about:config"

Look for "network.prefetch-next" and set it to false.
I'm trying out Opera and so far it's lightning speed compared to Firefox. The only bad point is that it's so difficult or impossible to rearrange the toolbars >.>
Firefox is good, but i cant understand the hype. The major advantage is the Plugin system, but he needs many times over 100 MB Memory and starts very slow. I think Opera is on the default settings the better broswer, with plugins maybe firefox.

I think we dont have to talk about the IE Smile
DennisTT Wrote:I'm trying out Opera and so far it's lightning speed compared to Firefox. The only bad point is that it's so difficult or impossible to rearrange the toolbars >.>

No it's not hard to customize..just different than Firefox. Opera is VERY customizable...I position my toolbars exactly how I want them. Check the opera site for help or google around for questions. You can right click the toolbars and customize to start.

And yes...Opera is light speeds faster than any other browser and no memory leeks or add-ons needed. Plus it has incredible built in features. I just got Opera 9.21 and it has the added Speed Dial feature which I have found rather nice. Opera continues to impress.
Um..... this is sad news for firefox lovers like me Smile

But I am in a habit of using firefox now.
labrocca Wrote:
DennisTT Wrote:I'm trying out Opera and so far it's lightning speed compared to Firefox. The only bad point is that it's so difficult or impossible to rearrange the toolbars >.>

No it's not hard to customize..just different than Firefox. Opera is VERY customizable...I position my toolbars exactly how I want them. Check the opera site for help or google around for questions. You can right click the toolbars and customize to start.

And yes...Opera is light speeds faster than any other browser and no memory leeks or add-ons needed. Plus it has incredible built in features. I just got Opera 9.21 and it has the added Speed Dial feature which I have found rather nice. Opera continues to impress.

Yeah the Speed Dial page is quite a good idea in my opinion. I wonder if there's something like "Google browser sync" for Opera, and a "password convertor from firefox" Toungue
labrocca Wrote:

Well i can agree on that as iv tested it recently but my BT yahoo homepage won't work on it which is a problem for me as all my bookmarks, rss feeds etc.. are there. Iv been surfing on it and seems quite good and i can tell it's much safer Wink
I made Opera look just like firefox once. You can actually find toolbar scripts or whatever online that will automatically set your toolbars up. I love that feature, but again cache problems made me quit using it. And after a while opera always seemed to freeze up on me in the middle of usage. I think that had to do with the cache becoming so large. I like alot of URL's being saved in history. Firefox seems to save alot, but opera doesnt by default.

Has anyone tried these to speed up firefox? I did this a week ago and it works alot faster. Especially when you close it and reopen it:

1) In the URL bar, type "about:config" (w/o quotation mark)

2) In the filter box, type "network.http.pipelining" and change the value to TRUE.

3) In the filter box, type "network.http.proxy.pipelining" and also change the value to TRUE.

4) In the filter box, type "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" and change the value to a higher # (either 20 or 30).

5) Right-click anywhere and select NEW then INTEGER. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to 0.

6) CLOSE FireFox and RESTART.
My firefox uses 91 MB of memory, 14 tabs are open.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10