MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: For those Firefox lovers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
destroyer Wrote:My firefox uses 91 MB of memory, 14 tabs are open.

Well dosen't it depend on whats needed on the site as it could need shockwave, marcomedia etc... it dosen't depend on the browser it self.. does it?
Firefox uses a lot more memory. From what I've read by default it remembers the last 5-10 pages you've visited for each tab in the memory so you can go back and forth quickly. Also, if you close the tab the memory for that tab isn't erased since you can go "Undo tab close" (which saved me actually a few times, but it eats memory)

I'm not sure how much memory Opera uses (I haven't used it much) but it's using about the same amount of memory as Firefox, but it is a lot faster at page loading.
I've never gotten above 60-70 MB lately (usually got near 100MB regularly) after doing some about:config tweaks (one to release memory when you minimize FF, and another that makes the cache appropriate for my 500ish MB of RAM.

I think most of it comes from FF wanting to have access to all of the RAM by default.

On a side note, I did used to use Opera, but a lot of the stuff I use regularly is only on FF (no Opera script to replace it). x_x
Kinda stupid site, with stupid informations ^^
Let's take, for instance, "IE is faster than FF".

Open a page with dozens of imagens in FF and in IE and see wich of them is faster.
DennisTT Wrote:I'm not sure how much memory Opera uses (I haven't used it much) but it's using about the same amount of memory as Firefox, but it is a lot faster at page loading.

ALOT faster is something i don't care as i have patience. What differances are there with security?
Quote:ALOT faster is something i don't care as i have patience.

That's because you are used to slow loading. I can't take slow browsing. I need quick quick quick action from my browser. When I say jump it should jump. As for the security...Opera has excellent security and they patch exploits quickly and uploads are pain-free.

And on that memory issue. When I do test with Firefox I see FF using as much as 250k vs opera which depending on my work is 100k-150k max. FF has gotten better with their memory problems but it's actually forced the browser to be slower.
labrocca Wrote:
Quote:ALOT faster is something i don't care as i have patience.

That's because you are used to slow loading. I can't take slow browsing. I need quick quick quick action from my browser. When I say jump it should jump. As for the security...Opera has excellent security and they patch exploits quickly and uploads are pain-free.

And on that memory issue. When I do test with Firefox I see FF using as much as 250k vs opera which depending on my work is 100k-150k max. FF has gotten better with their memory problems but it's actually forced the browser to be slower.

Isn't security based on what type of websites you go it and also i understand that you mean by exploits in the program but it there a script blocker built in (or anything)
Speed and RAM usage are often at odds with each other. If you want faster, it means caching more.
laie_techie Wrote:Speed and RAM usage are often at odds with each other. If you want faster, it means caching more.

Maybe if you have a fast PC. More Cache means more ram usage. If you're pc is a little outdated, it could actually run alot slower with more cache.
Let's see:

Stumble Upon
1337key
Search Status
and SEOpen

I haven't tried turning off prefetching yet. The only problem is that I think there is no alexa toolbar for Opera, which forces me to use IE or Firefox...
* Cool_Guy tries to speed up IE 7
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10