MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: BBv2 - vBulletin And MyBB Might Worry...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
drygnfyre Wrote:
asdf1248 Wrote:Perl used to be the all-powerful language, and still is good; but a new age has come and PHP has taken over, so people should start using PHP.

I would try it if it was in PHP though...It looks really good.

I'd say that vBulletin and MyBB has nothing to worry about so far.
PERL is actually a pretty good language to code a BBS in. It isn't affected by many common vulneralities.

Anyways, I've tried this software out before, and it's quite nice. It's also not too expensive at only $98 for a lifetime licenese. Unfortunately, the software is still category based, not forum based, and the postbit has a weird effect where the posts start off in their normal positions, then move way over to the left, which is pretty ugly.

It's 100+ for lifetime license.

http://www.bbv2.com/ca/purchase.boy

Quote:Regular License ($282.81 CAD, Discounted To: $117.84 CAD)
Choose this option if you will not be using the software for business use.

Business License ($374.72 CAD, Discounted To: $209.75 CAD)
Choose this option if you will be using the software for business use.

thats for purchasing it, not renting.
It's Perl and it looks messy. *shivers*
Nice forum! I've not seen a perl based forum before like this one! But I'd say that'll be the leader for Perl Based boards.

Perl is a nightmare to code with and is soo picky! unlike PHP which gives you info on the problem, unlike Perl which gives nothing but a 500 Internal server error!
eXaulz Wrote:It's a nice little BB, I especially like the admin cp.

But.. it's in Perl. harhar :o
I'm pretty sure you're the same person who, on The Forum Insider, said that the Admin CP sucks. Raymond, that's it.

And to Joel, the original poster,
It's not new. It has been around for quite a while.

I do think it looks very nice. I'm not so sure on the usability though.
stalker... :p

anyways, that was a long time ago.
its not perl its cgi
I guess your sort of new..... perl and cgi are sort of the same in a sense.....
Uhhh... Actually, Perl and CGI are not the same and if BBv2 is written in I CGI would be shocked since CGI is not really a programming language. Here is my post from another thread (http://www.mybboard.com/community/showth...p?tid=1934):
Quote:YaBB and Ikonboard are written in Perl. For whatever reason people seem to think Perl and CGI are the same thing. When I first started programming I thought the same. Perl and CGI are NOT the same, though.

CGI (Common Gateway Interface) is one way that common programming languages are ran on a web server. In fact, both Perl and PHP can be ran as CGI. However, both can also be ran as an Apache module.

Anyways, to answer your question: CGI is looked down upon because it opens a new process for every call. This means if you have 200 users on your board at once you are going to have 200 processes open up. This can cause the server to slow down and so the board can be considered inefficient.

You are probably wondering how it can be done without opening so many processes. Running it as an Apache module means that all calls to the program, or in this case bulletin board, are opened under the Apache process. This means that there is always only the one process for your site. Of course, it still uses up memory but because it is not an individual process it can more efficiently use up the memory and CPU.

As for YaBB and Ikonboard being consider "yuck," this is partially because people do not realize the difference between Perl and CGI, and the fact that it is run in Perl. There are also some other reasons for PHP being superior to Perl but I will not go in depth with them because I would be lying if I told you I knew all of the reasons
Their postbit looks funny.
then it is perl am I correct if it is not really a programing language then that crosses out cgi....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5