MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Release version 1.9 before 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2016-08-18, 07:51 PM)jimski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-18, 07:43 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]Also, it's a misunderstanding to believe that 1.8.7 will be the last release before 2.0. 1.8 will continue to be supported until 2.0's release and for some time (TBD) afterwards.

Thank you Josh, I stand corrected.

I still would like to fork the 1.8.7 under MIT license if possible.  

I guess I should address my question to Chris Boulton ???

Yes, you should contact Chris or Stefan T.
I would love to see a continuation of the 1.X series (since I'm invested in that ecosystem) but I totally understand why we're not going to get it. I'm really grateful for the work the team has done and continues to do on 1.8.

That said, were there a version 1.9, I'd be happy if the only new feature was threaded PMs. Toungue
Very nice thread and very nice discussion here.

Thanks for the devs to have time to discuss here and explain properly the questions. Nice job guys.

1.8 is a very good system but must evolve to 2.0 asap.

Do you guys can comment WHEN is gonna be released a final version of 2.0? Any predictions? Would be great for us, forum owners.
We don't have a set date. We never set dates as due to us all being volunteers, it's nearly impossible to stick to them. We do plan to have an Alpha release by the end of the year should all go well.
(2016-08-18, 09:31 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]We don't have a set date. We never set dates as due to us all being volunteers, it's nearly impossible to stick to them. We do plan to have an Alpha release by the end of the year should all go well.

Great news Smile
(2016-08-18, 08:06 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, you should contact Chris or Stefan T.

Thanks Euan
(2016-08-18, 09:31 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]We don't have a set date. We never set dates as due to us all being volunteers, it's nearly impossible to stick to them. We do plan to have an Alpha release by the end of the year should all go well.

Thank very much for your post Euan.

Keep the great job all of you!

If i just have any good programming skills Sad
(2016-08-19, 02:27 PM)palhanow Wrote: [ -> ]If i just have any good programming skills Sad

Well that's why I want to fork it to make it simpler and faster (though programming skills will still be needed).  Going to Laravel will take the project towards more OOP and entangle it into more complexity .  Yes, I know that the whole world is writing OOP but there s a small albeit growing number of programmers who view OOP as a form of disease. I'm one of them :-). https://blog.pivotal.io/labs/labs/all-ev...g-bullshit

So my idea is to use as much of the existing code as possible but augument it with a custom functional framework which I have build and which is about 10 times faster than Laravel, and much cleaner and simpler to the effect that any intermediate PHP programmer can learn it in 1 day. That way the framework complexity will be ignorable without any loss of speed and with the benefit of coding and structural clarity.
Frankly, the template system in MyBB 1.8 is not very bad. It works pretty fast, but has few serious drawbacks:

1. Unlike the include() the eval() function can't be cached by built-in PHP OPcache. Also there are some difficulties with the debugging

2. The user can't use his custom PHP code in templates. I'm talking about conditions, cycles and formatting functions. It's OK when you just changing the color or add a class, but it is the big pain, when you want to implemetnt some serious changes. Yes, this allows the user to run the PHP code in templates, but is it bad? The PHP is the best templating engine. The most popular CMS are using it. I'm talking about WordPress with WooCommerce, Joomla, Drupal, OpenCart and a lot others.

3. There number of templates is very big. There are nearly 935 (!!!) different templates. Partially it caused by a previous drawback. It makes the theme support and developing really hard. I've even wrote some script that saves all the templates in the files to make it easier. The system is using them during the theme development.

The creation of MyBB 1.9 should start with a huge refactoring to migrate to MVC.

First of all, we need to refactor the whole template system, move the templates in a PHP files and reduce their number. The whole process of the migration can be splitted in few stages.

On the first stage the template calls like:

eval("\$searchforum = \"".$templates->get("forumdisplay_searchforum")."\";");

can be replaced with:

$searchforum = $templates->get("forumdisplay_searchforum", array('lang' => $lang, 'fid' => $fid));

The get method should be changed in this case. It should extract the passed variables, turn on the output buffering, include the template and return the outbut buffer contents. There are only 49 files with template calls. This changes will not affect the most part of extensions and plugins.

The second stage is more complicated. The templates should be reorganized. A lot of them should be merged to make it easier to understand and support.

To clearify whan I mean lets take a forumdisplay.php file. This script is parsing the request, retreives the data from the database and builds the page using the plain templates. The template building logic is hardcoded in this script. It is very bad.

I suggest that the whole templating code should be moved to the separate template. The forumdisplay.php script should prepare a data, compose an array with threads, pass it through filter and send the whole data a single template. This template should include the foreach cycle for threads and a call the other template to build a single thread, for example.

This changes will dramatically simplify the forumdisplay.php code and make it support much easier. The steps in the second stage can be implemented sequentially and they doesn't break the existing code.

On the third stage the existing database queries shold be moved to functions/methods in appropriate files.

Yes, the second and third stage will break the compitability with a lot of extensions, but I think, that this is the only easy way of MyBB evolution.

I have a serious doubts that the MyBB 2.0 will be finished in near future, because it will require a huge amount of time and work. The current MyBB software is very complicated. You can't just throw it away and write the new one even using the modern tools and frameworks.

I can't say that I like the MyBB 2.0. It uses a lot of libraries like FontAwesome and some controversial methodologies like BEM. As the result the size of the front page is nearly 734 Kb comparing to 74 Kb on MyBB 1.8. The MyBB 2.0 page generation time is nearly 100 ms on empty board comparing to 10 ms on MyBB 1.8 with a lot of posts.
We will not be creating a MyBB 1.9. MyBB 2 is MyBB's future.

If this does not align with your vision for the future of MyBB, you are welcome to fork the project within the limitations of our license agreement.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5