MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Release version 1.9 before 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
MyBB 1.8 is made a lot more flexible with plugins like PHP in Templates, xThreads, Google SEO, and others, along with its extensive library of themes. If you're currently finding it lacking, you can accomplish a lot if you're willing to think creatively.

MyBB team has no incentive to build a version 1.9 and there's no point in doing so if it breaks compatibility with the existing plugin library, which is the major strength of the 1.8 platform as it stands.
(2016-11-02, 02:08 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 1.8 is made a lot more flexible with plugins like PHP in Templates, xThreads, Google SEO, and others, along with its extensive library of themes. If you're currently finding it lacking, you can accomplish a lot if you're willing to think creatively.

MyBB team has no incentive to build a version 1.9 and there's no point in doing so if it breaks compatibility with the existing plugin library, which is the major strength of the 1.8 platform as it stands.

A lot of plugins will continue to work with a minimal or without any modifiaction, including Google SEO and full PHP support in templates.

I have two large forums with a 120K and 320K posts and I want to upgrade them to MyBB 1.8. This version is pretty good, but it has the obsolete design and a lot of SEO flaws. That's why I've decided to completely redesign it using the modern techniques and tools like SCSS, iconic fonts, make it lightweight, mobile friendly and easy to understand.

I'm planning to finish it in next few months and share the results with community.
Quote:To clearify whan I mean lets take a forumdisplay.php file. This script is parsing the request, retreives the data from the database and builds the page using the plain templates. The template building logic is hardcoded in this script. It is very bad.

I suggest that the whole templating code should be moved to the separate template. The forumdisplay.php script should prepare a data, compose an array with threads, pass it through filter and send the whole data a single template. This template should include the foreach cycle for threads and a call the other template to build a single thread, for example.

This changes will dramatically simplify the forumdisplay.php code and make it support much easier. The steps in the second stage can be implemented sequentially and they doesn't break the existing code.

On the third stage the existing database queries shold be moved to functions/methods in appropriate files.

That's just moving to an MVC approach which is essentially what we're doing anyway.

Releasing another version and then 2.0 would mean more fragmentation and something else to support. The thing is we could ask 10 different people their opinion and get 10 different responses, 10 different frameworks to use, 10 different design methodologies, etc etc. We're using established frameworks, libraries and methodologies so there is some sort of familiarity for the wider PHP community, rather than coming up with our own frameworks (that was the original 2.0 plan), own way of doing things, or re-hashing decade-old code into new structures.
(2016-11-02, 09:42 AM)TwistedAndy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-02, 02:08 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 1.8 is made a lot more flexible with plugins like PHP in Templates, xThreads, Google SEO, and others, along with its extensive library of themes. If you're currently finding it lacking, you can accomplish a lot if you're willing to think creatively.

A lot of plugins will continue to work with a minimal or without any modifiaction, including Google SEO and full PHP support in templates.

I have two large forums with a 120K and 320K posts and I want to upgrade them to MyBB 1.8. This version is pretty good, but it has the obsolete design and a lot of SEO flaws. That's why I've decided to completely redesign it using the modern techniques and tools like SCSS, iconic fonts, make it lightweight, mobile friendly and easy to understand.

I'm planning to finish it in next few months and share the results with community.

I'm also working on something similar and plan to share the results with the community as a follow-up to this. However, replicating my results is possible with template edits and plugins only.

You can see some of my progress so far here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bnrdaetfvlixf...qdjua?dl=0

I understand your frustration and I definitely clamoured for a 1.9 version a few years ago ... but it's 2016 now. 1.8 is best mostly as it is, which is a well-understood piece of software with tons of modular functionality available. It's a bit primitive, but that isn't necessarily a limitation of its potential.

I just wish we could get threaded PMs and I could live with everything else. :')
(2016-11-02, 04:19 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I just wish we could get threaded PMs and I could live with everything else. :')

The hopefully 2.0 will be worth the wait Big Grin
(2016-11-02, 05:00 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-02, 04:19 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I just wish we could get threaded PMs and I could live with everything else. :')

My site won't be running it for a very long time! I meant for the 1.8 platform. That's the one missing feature I consider to be a glaring issue. Hopefully we'll get a plugin someday ...
(2016-11-02, 06:19 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-02, 05:00 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]

My site won't be running it for a very long time! I meant for the 1.8 platform. That's the one missing feature I consider to be a glaring issue. Hopefully we'll get a plugin someday ...

Something like this http://i.imgur.com/xiLMmDa.png ?
(2016-11-02, 06:32 PM)Johnny S Wrote: [ -> ]Something like this http://i.imgur.com/xiLMmDa.png ?

Yes! :O
(2016-11-02, 12:31 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]That's just moving to an MVC approach which is essentially what we're doing anyway.

Releasing another version and then 2.0 would mean more fragmentation and something else to support. The thing is we could ask 10 different people their opinion and get 10 different responses, 10 different frameworks to use, 10 different design methodologies, etc etc. We're using established frameworks, libraries and methodologies so there is some sort of familiarity for the wider PHP community, rather than coming up with our own frameworks (that was the original 2.0 plan), own way of doing things, or re-hashing decade-old code into new structures.

I fully understand everything you say and agree with you.

I remember the discussions about choosing the framework for new MyBB version few years ago. I must admit, that at that time I also was fully confident that the rewritting the whole forum using one of the frameworks will be the best solution.

From that time I've created few hundreds different themes for a various CMS (mostly WordPress) and changed my point of view. Yes, in some cases the full system rewrite with modern tools is reasonable and necessary, but in a lot of others cases this is not a good idea. The main problem is the complexity of this task. If the system is large and complicated its rewrite will require a lot of working hours. If the team is small and resources are limited the continious partial refactoring will be the best solution.

I've installed the current MyBB 2.0 build. Yes, the main functions is working, there is a simple admin panel, but there are no a lot of small, but very important features. I'm afraid that their implementation will take a years. Forum optimization and fixing main bugs also will take a lot of time.

You can create a simple blog with comments and registration within a few days using the Bootstrap and Laravel, Yii2 or any other framework. It will be very simple and can't compete with WordPress, for example, because there are no thousands of small useful features like image editor, metafields, post formats and lot others. Their implementation can take a years. The deveopers from OctoberCMS have spent almost 3 years to build something which can be comparable in some aspects with current popular CMS.

Anyway, I hope that the version 2.0 will be finished someday. I wish you good luck in your work.

(2016-11-02, 04:19 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I understand your frustration and I definitely clamoured for a 1.9 version a few years ago ... but it's 2016 now. 1.8 is best mostly as it is, which is a well-understood piece of software with tons of modular functionality available. It's a bit primitive, but that isn't necessarily a limitation of its potential.

I just wish we could get threaded PMs and I could live with everything else. :')

I want to rewrite almost all templates, make its code modern. I really don't like inline styles, obsolete and unnecessary attributes and unclear class structure. I'm not alone in my intentions, Google doesn't like it too Smile For example, I'm replacing "<td class="trow1" align="center" style="white-space: nowrap">" with "<td class="stats">". After the templates redesign I'm planning to refactor some parts of the engine, make the templates easier to understand and support.
While it indeed takes much time to rewrite the whole software we've reached a point where maintaining the old legacy code is not reasonable. It's simply not possible to replace the template system or the database abstraction without rewriting major parts of the existing code. This is where an existing framework saves us a lot of time by proving convenient wrappers for common tasks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5