MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Release version 1.9 before 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2016-11-12, 10:25 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]And even when SQLite or PgSQL is available most use MySQL because a lot of plugins just work with MySQL.

You keep mentioning plugins, but the core itself did not support anything other than MySQL well, so there was no point to support it in plugins either. I haven't tested this in 1.8 but in 1.6 it used to be you'd get database errors within 5 minutes after installing, long before adding any plugins.

And that's fine by me, really. It's called LAMP for a reason.
So you are talking about issues you've experienced years ago? I've already mentioned these in this thread and most PgSQL/SQLite issues should be fixed by now.
(2016-11-09, 09:02 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]there have been many compatibility issues with SQLite and PgSQL
Quote:We do not have figures.

So that install/upgrade process where data is sent to MyBB does not include the DBMS? It should if it doesn't. A lot of work could be done for what might be less than a couple percent of users. That's disproportionate and a potential waste of developer time. Focus is key to quick development and also lowers the bug count.
(2016-11-15, 09:28 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:We do not have figures.

So that install/upgrade process where data is sent to MyBB does not include the DBMS? It should if it doesn't. A lot of work could be done for what might be less than a couple percent of users. That's disproportionate and a potential waste of developer time. Focus is key to quick development and also lowers the bug count.

If I remember correctly, it sends PHP dbms modules available, not the one that MyBB is using.
Correct, the anonymous statistics is sent before even selecting the DBMS.

Dropping a DBMS in a minor point release is of course no option anyway...
As everyone has stated, it will dramatically slow down 2.0's production..

Likewise, if you upgrade to 1.9, everyone who has for the past few weeks been making their forum/plugins/themes compatible for 1.8.8, will have to scrap everything and restart to make it 1.9 compatible.

As people have stated, the best thing to do it make 1.8.8 as stable as it can be, and work on 2.0. Then people can be sure to have AT LEAST 1 working version of MyBB while 2.0 gets it's bugs / issues fixed. As a personal note, I do not plan on installing/upgrading to MyBB 2.0 until at least 2-3 months pass so all the major bugs can be ironed out - less work and issues you have to deal with.
Hi,

Your MyBB 2.0 suggestion has unfortunately been rejected. Your suggestion does not fit with the direction that MyBB is heading in as a project at this time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5