MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Future
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2017-10-07, 01:45 AM)Dead-i Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not bitching about it lol, I proved the same point few months ago forgot which staff member replied but he knew damn well I spoke the truth. If half of the team has been busy for years why not replace them? I'll say one thing though the only guy that actually bothers to even support anyone is .m., but of course your next reply would be I'm not understanding lol. I know were your coming from but like I said I've been here a while even since 2008 never bothered registering because I hardly even used MyBB then but I only came on forums just to see how this community is.. Back then the staff team was alright but now it's simply dead. Not all staff team have family issues or something in life lol if that's the case then their probably living in the same house ffs.

Anyways glad there are few members with knowledge and experience helping the newbies out.

If you have been around since 2008 then you would know that there has been changes in the team members on a regular basis this is common within this type of community and project.

MyBB is going through a phase of trying to evolve into a modern product now and find ways to offer a more secure and better designed product the issue is as Nathan states MyBB is not the i get out of bed and live to offer everything i have to it kind of thing.

Over time there has been some Team members that gave so much to get what you have today and they too learnt life exists and they move on but as they do other flow in and bring their own styles to things that is how communities continue.

for the last couple of months i have watched the things you comment about the newbies asking questions and wanting this and that done but if you delve deeper you will see within the plugins a lot of chatter about old outdated plugins that are not compatible and users trying to get them to work on the current build.

There is no simple answer to this you cannot flip a switch and have it work.

This is a part of why MyBB is talking about direction now to clear up this confusion

the issue is there are so many different users out there all using old builds that it is hard to support or answer something when it is years old it is not practical for the devs to do this.

MyBB is still alive and functional it just to redefine a couple of things and then things should move on
I should also add that the Team is currently split into subteams with their own tasks. While supporting people is surely an important one, there are many other tasks in charge to different staff members who clearly don't have time to do what they are assigned to AND support people too.
(2017-10-07, 01:45 AM)Dead-i Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not bitching about it lol, I proved the same point few months ago forgot which staff member replied but he knew damn well I spoke the truth. If half of the team has been busy for years why not replace them? I'll say one thing though the only guy that actually bothers to even support anyone is .m., but of course your next reply would be I'm not understanding lol.

You're not even "not understanding", you're blatantly saying the team can't be bothered. That is simply not true. Anyone is free to apply to join the team, but MyBB is not a company. You can't just 1:1 replace people. There isn't a flood of applications of people wanting to dedicate their time to an open source forum software project. If you can't comprehend that someone's life goes beyond a forum there's nothing I or anyone else can say to convince you otherwise.

(2017-10-07, 01:45 AM)Dead-i Wrote: [ -> ]Not all staff team have family issues or something in life lol

Yes they do, it's called "life". Education, work, family, hobbies, unforeseen circumstances, mental health, burn out, relationships. That's just off the top of my head. Then they come here to be told they can't be bothered to support people for free.
I feel that slow progress or lack of a release date is causing all these threads taking on the team. Just like Ubuntu, set a date for releases. A date will satisfy a lot of people.
(2017-10-08, 06:30 AM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]I feel that slow progress or lack of a release date is causing all these threads taking on the team. Just like Ubuntu, set a date for releases. A date will satisfy a lot of people.

Or, disappoint them. The reason why we don't set release dates is that we would be submerged by complaints if we didn't make it on time, which for a volunteering-based project is likely to happen.
(2017-10-08, 07:07 AM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]Or, disappoint them

people do expect things no matter who or how they just want.

I guess the big issue for MyBB is to remain relevant whilst a solution to the what to do is achieved.

the hard part in a team environment such as these is getting enough of the team together to exchange the questions then have a community point put forward to show the overall progress towards the goals.

Anyone who has ever worked on a project such as MyBB would all agree timelines and deadlines cause more hassles and grief than good.

this is where the PR groups comes in and they may not be the coding team but rather a group to deal with the community to rather than work by deadlines provide a positive spin towards the progress of the project highlighting the need for time but detail the built features and to talk up the background work.

MyBB has people trying to do this but at the same time these guys are working on the code and also trying to help others in the community and live their own lives some may have education some family others work it may even be two or three jobs to pay the bills.

as some of these guys have to move on there is no magic wand to replace them, there is no simple answer to get the code out there but also keep in mind just how much things change when it comes to the wonderful world of technology, frameworks, API's and devices all change the playing field and you have to adapt to that within the design we cannot predict the future damn if i could i would be worth millions by now rather than cents.

The MyBB team has been poised at a decision making point just like many others and have to take a look at what is the best way to remain relevant and keep the community at peace whilst offering the best product they can that keeps in tune with what MyBB is.

i cannot see why bashing the Dev Team or the Forum Team is the answer i do not see people offering to help them or chipping in to do some of the coding or developing a plugin or two or even a theme.
(2017-10-08, 07:07 AM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-10-08, 06:30 AM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]I feel that slow progress or lack of a release date is causing all these threads taking on the team. Just like Ubuntu, set a date for releases. A date will satisfy a lot of people.

Or, disappoint them. The reason why we don't set release dates is that we would be submerged by complaints if we didn't make it on time, which for a volunteering-based project is likely to happen.

A forum scheme is only valid for 1 or 1.5 years. A year ago, I was looking at Xenforo like notification system at the most. Today, there is PWA, Push Notifications, Native apps etc. If you set a date, say June 2018, you can work without dealing with hate threads.

Just my opinion Smile
The problem is that you can't estimate it. If you knew exactly how many hours people were going to work in the year, then an estimate would be easy (maybe, I'm exaggerating it slightly here, but you get the point).

I know how long it would take given a certain set of hours and x number of people, but not how long it would take for *MyBB*.
I'm sure Kier and Mike could probably guesstimate how long it'll take for them to come out with XenForo 2, but that's because they get paid for it and it's their job.

Oh yes, I just pushed a PR for the first part of the Word Filter ACP Component. The List. More to come.
(2017-10-09, 12:01 AM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ][...]If you knew exactly how many hours people were going to work in the year, then an estimate would be easy [...]

If you knew exactly how many hours then it wouldn't be an estimate, now would it? Toungue
Something to note with developing 2.0 is that once you know where things are, and you actually read Laravel's documentation... This stuff is easy. I didn't have time to do that, so I just reverse-engineered the code in my head.

It would be great, if some contributors could be strummed up instead of tossing out a 1.10.0, and there are plenty of simple features people can toss in by imitating existing code, especially in the ACP. Maybe, take a look at implementations for PRs, code, etc. and apply it in a different component like I dunno... MyCode?

Just need the people to contribute.
Pages: 1 2 3