MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advance the private message system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Background

As it is now when you are having a conversation with another user, you have one link for each message sent. So for each reply, there's a link in either sent message or in your inbox depending if you sent it or the other party. If you have a conversation and each party sends five messages; that gives you 5 PMs in "Sent Messages" and 5 PMs in your "Inbox". I want to cut those down to 1 PM. Am not sure what's able to be done of what am suggesting as i don't know the myBB system well, but here's my idea anyways.

Idea

As it is now, a conversation has a PMID which is a great start.
https://FORUMDOMAIN/private.php?action=read&pmid=80257602

What i am suggesting is to somehow (again, i don't do myBB) make the conversation link stick to one unless the existing is deleted.
Instead of it being like this, it will be like this. Where the same conversation gets updated when there's a new message. It would function like this. But doesn't have to be chat boxes.

Results in

> Conversation between two users is one link.
> Whole conversations can then be moved to specific folders without generating new links in other folders
> More people use the conversation system on-site instead of moving to Discord/Skype/XMPP/Other

It would no longer be private messages but instead more like conversations.
I'd support this being one of the core new changes in 1.10, along with alerts baked in too. I've seen a few different forums implement it and it's way better than the default PM system we have currently.
There's one in 2.0, it's a pretty bog standard feature in forums these days, and a must have.
(2017-12-02, 11:45 PM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]There's one in 2.0, it's a pretty bog standard feature in forums these days, and a must have.

Due to the uncertainty surrounding the exact release date or timeline of 2.0, and the announcement of 1.10 to fill the interim - I believe that it should happen sooner, rather than later.
A conversation based system for PMs would make sense to include, along with attachments in PM messages.
(2017-12-03, 10:56 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]A conversation based system for PMs would make sense to include, along with attachments in PM messages.

To be honest i don't think that a CK editor is important in private messages/conversations.
But i guess it really depends on the design. 

Hope to see this as one of the core new changes as @kawaii said.
My users rather dislike (to put it mildly) the MyBB private message system - in a perfect world I would prefer to see a conversation system like it is suggested in the OP
A conversation based PM system is a must.
Chat-like PMs in 2017/18, a must. Without it, MyBB is far far behind in "standards" of the internet. Anywhere you go now is a chat-like communication system, except reddit. Which they're also changing now IIRC.
I seem to recall PMs turning into conversations for 2.0; with 1.10 being the focus, I'd be happy to see this included.
Pages: 1 2 3 4