MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advance the private message system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2018-01-21, 05:13 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]If you implement a conversation, can you add a way to block certain users as well as usergroups from contacting you through that means?

There's an Ignore List for a reason.
If this was done, it would need to nearly match discord/skype and be Instant messaging instead of having to reload the page to see what someone said. As well as maybe read/delivered message statuses etc.

I have plans for adding such an advanced messaging system to my board eventually, but it would be nice to not have to go the extra mile myself and it just be a feature already.
(2018-01-04, 10:21 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-04, 09:29 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-04, 07:56 PM)darkhorus Wrote: [ -> ]A conversation system in place of the traditional PM system is a given in this day and age. This was planned for 2.0, but since that's been delayed, I agree it should happen in 1.10.

Yeah, let's put everything we wanted in 2.0 into 1.10 and then we can wait another 3 years for a responsive theme.

No thanks.  1.10 should not be about the PM system. It's adequate as is and can be altered in the future when we have a mobile theme in place.

Read the roadmap I posted recently. All these things being suggested/planned for "1.10" will happen across a multitude of releases. The next major release will be 1.9.0, which will bring:
  • New responsive theme
  • Twig template system
That's it. The next major release (1.10.0) will bring some more new features/enhancements, as will the next major release after that, and so on.

Keeping these suggestions organised and categorised is quite difficult unfortunately and everybody has different ideas on what they think are priority issues/features.

Why are we talking about version 1.9, 1.10 or even 2.0 when we haven't seen the so-called pending update to 1.8.15?

To me all I am seeing is from the MyBB.com developers is a lot of "It's coming" responses but nothing to show for it. 

All I am reading are empty promises.

So what gives?
(I found this thread after searching rather than starting a new thread).

I have just been using the private message system on MyBB and the fact that it isn't a single link per conversation and instead require me to skip from Inbox to Sent to see the conversation is very clunky and annoying.

I highly suggest fixing this ASAP.
(2021-05-10, 05:09 AM)W13 Wrote: [ -> ](I found this thread after searching rather than starting a new thread).

I have just been using the private message system on MyBB and the fact that it isn't a single link per conversation and instead require me to skip from Inbox to Sent to see the conversation is very clunky and annoying.

If you're prepared to spend a modest amount, you could have what you want already in MyConversations [Community forum thread].
I prefer the traditional PM system, so I cannot say I support this. I'm running a forum, not an IRC chat or discord.
What @Laird said...

It's a modest amount, and it works well. Definitely an improvement over standard implementation of PMs.
Think of it as quite similar to texting SMS or more like MMS messages on your phone, but on your forum.
(2021-05-10, 08:29 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-10, 05:09 AM)W13 Wrote: [ -> ](I found this thread after searching rather than starting a new thread).

If you're prepared to spend a modest amount, you could have what you want already in MyConversations [Community forum thread].

Maybe this is just me , but I'm always happy to donate , but not being forced to buy a plugin. Unless this plugin offers exceptional functionality no other forum software can offer. 
Yes in my humble opinion MyBB pm system is seriously outdated. Besides if to rely just on plugins forum will be overwhelmed by calling for for the endless amount of external libraries, in many cases conflicting with each other. 
This is the problem I'm facing right now. 

Yes my forum ticks most of my boxes, but I want to cry looking at Google insights and all them external libraries called.
(2021-05-26, 08:00 AM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this is just me , but I'm always happy to donate , but not being forced to buy a plugin.

Alright then, just for you, here's an offer: contact me privately and I'll send you a copy of MyConversations. If you like it, you can donate whatever you think is reasonable; if not, then delete it and be done with it.

(The usual EULA would apply: you would be understood under its terms to have entered into "a sale", the amount of which you are free to stipulate (as a donation) after being given reasonable time to evaluate the plugin, so long as that amount is non-zero, and which - whatever it is - the Developer (that's me) agrees to in advance; refusal to donate anything at all would be taken as cancelling the "sale").

(2021-05-26, 08:00 AM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]Yes in my humble opinion MyBB pm system is seriously outdated.

Agreed. On top of adding conversations beyond the core MyBB PM system, MyConversations offers these features:
  • Attachments.
  • Quoting (with the green link-back arrow as for public posts).
  • MyAlerts alerts (e.g., "so-and-so added you to conversation/group such-and-such").
  • Conversation groups (so you can manage participants at a higher level than just a conversation).
  • Rights (five of them, so the group/conversation starter can choose who can do what in a group/conversation).
  • Simple migration from the core PM system (and back to it via reverse migration).
There are more on top of those, but perhaps that inspires you to try it out...
(2021-05-26, 11:40 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-26, 08:00 AM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this is just me , but I'm always happy to donate , but not being forced to buy a plugin.

Alright then, just for you, here's an offer: contact me privately and I'll send you a copy of MyConversations. If you like it, you can donate whatever you think is reasonable; if not, then delete it and be done with it.

(The usual EULA would apply: you would be understood under its terms to have entered into "a sale", the amount of which you are free to stipulate (as a donation) after being given reasonable time to evaluate the plugin, so long as that amount is non-zero, and which - whatever it is - the Developer (that's me) agrees to in advance; refusal to donate anything at all would be taken as cancelling the "sale").

(2021-05-26, 08:00 AM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]Yes in my humble opinion MyBB pm system is seriously outdated.

Agreed. On top of adding conversations beyond the core MyBB PM system, MyConversations offers these features:
  • Attachments.
  • Quoting (with the green link-back arrow as for public posts).
  • MyAlerts alerts (e.g., "so-and-so added you to conversation/group such-and-such").
  • Conversation groups (so you can manage participants at a higher level than just a conversation).
  • Rights (five of them, so the group/conversation starter can choose who can do what in a group/conversation).
  • Simple migration from the core PM system (and back to it via reverse migration).
There are more on top of those, but perhaps that inspires you to try it out...

Many thanks Laird.
I will PM as soon as I have a bit more time. Certainly will.
Sorry at the moment I'm working 6 or more days in a week and have no time for my forum development.
Just coming here from time time and checking what's new.
Pages: 1 2 3 4