MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is there any estimate for mybb 1.9?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2018-08-16, 12:51 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-16, 12:27 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-14, 07:18 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Also note that conversations and alerts aren't planned to be a part of 1.9, but may happen in another future release such as 1.10.

Ok... about that 'Conversations' thing.

What is the difference between 'PMs' and 'Conversations'?

I have read that elsewhere and I'm not totally convinced that adding 'Conversations' is necessary for MyBB. 

Alerts, on the other hand, should become part of the MyBB core. 
So many Admins request this feature. This can be coded to be toggled On or Off depending on Admin preference.
Why wait until 1.10.xx for this? I don't see the logic of putting that feature on hold.
Why not add the Alerts to the MyBB core during the 1.9.xx series?

Conversations is more real-time in a sense and allows for multiple participants to converse. I'd say this is definitely necessary if we want to keep up with today's standards and compete against social media sites.

The team's made some great progress with 1.9 as of late. We're (or most) all agreed that 1.9 needs to come out and it needs to come out quick mainly due to the responsive theme, so why would we delay this even more by adding another main feature to the 1.9 map? Adding alerts to 1.9 would probably set us back months.

I'm not talking about adding Alerts function into the MyBB core with the first release of 1.9.xx, I'm talking about adding the Alerts DURING the 1.9.xx series. 
(I'm predicting that the 1.9.xx series, with all of the incremental upgrades, will probably take up around 2-3 years before 1.10.xx gets released)

It can be done anytime after the first release. In the interim, the Alerts can be worked on and tweaked during the beta testing. 

If that takes months, then so be it, but you still haven't stated why this couldn't be added onto the 1.9.xx release except it would "take months" to do add this feature that many Admins have requested.
Conversations are vital for a fluid chat - I moved my forum from PB to Mybb, and it is the biggest complaint that PMs are nowhere near as clean and intuitive as the PMs on PB (which are basically conversations).

If only one thing was changed on 1.9, I would like it to be conversations (but, JMO of course)
(2018-08-16, 01:22 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-14, 07:18 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Also note that conversations and alerts aren't planned to be a part of 1.9, but may happen in another future release such as 1.10.

I have read that elsewhere and I'm not totally convinced that adding 'Conversations' is necessary for MyBB. 

So many Admins request this feature. This can be coded to be toggled On or Off depending on Admin preference.
Why wait until 1.10.xx for this? I don't see the logic of putting that feature on hold.

Conversations is more real-time in a sense and allows for multiple participants to converse. I'd say this is definitely necessary if we want to keep up with today's standards and compete against social media sites.

The team's made some great progress with 1.9 as of late. We're (or most) all agreed that 1.9 needs to come out and it needs to come out quick mainly due to the responsive theme, so why would we delay this even more by adding another main feature to the 1.9 map? Adding alerts to 1.9 would probably set us back months.

I'm not talking about adding Alerts function into the MyBB core with the first release of 1.9.xx, I'm talking about adding the Alerts DURING the 1.9.xx series. 
(I'm predicting that the 1.9.xx series, with all of the incremental upgrades, will probably take up around 2-3 years before 1.10.xx gets released)

It can be done anytime after the first release. In the interim, the Alerts can be worked on and tweaked during the beta testing. 

If that takes months, then so be it, but you still haven't stated why this couldn't be added onto the 1.9.xx release except it would "take months" to do add this feature that many Admins have requested.

It was decided that no new major features will be added into 1.9. There is A LOT more than just a new design and template system that's being added to 1.9, so you can imagine on how many patches, bug fixes and smaller feature suggestions there will be in the incremental updates. It's simply not suitable for an incremental update.
(2018-08-16, 03:00 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-16, 01:22 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

It was decided that no new major features will be added into 1.9. There is A LOT more than just a new design and template system that's being added to 1.9, so you can imagine on how many patches, bug fixes and smaller feature suggestions there will be in the incremental updates. It's simply not suitable for an incremental update.

Well, that's fine, but people will be waiting 2-3 years before seeing any 'Conversations' feature being added for the 1.10.xx release. 

In the interim... many Admins will be wanting that feature added. So, expect more of the same.
We're not looking at 2-3 years for 1.10. The plan is to release more often, and not just minor releases. There won't be anywhere near as big a delay between 1.9 and 1.10 as there was for example 1.6->1.8 or 1.8->1.9. We're aiming for smaller, faster release of both minor patch releases and feature releases. In an ideal world, we'd be releasing feature releases once a year and patch releases at least once a month.
(2018-08-16, 07:14 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]In an ideal world, we'd be releasing feature releases once a year and patch releases at least once a month.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as an "ideal world", so realistically, I do not see this happening due to past history. 

I would love to be proven wrong, though.
Conversations are chat ? More than 2 people can talk at the same time , on a single board ?
(2018-08-17, 11:19 AM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]Conversations are chat ? More than 2 people can talk at the same time , on a single board ?

Correct. Read the thread, it's not that long Toungue
(2018-08-17, 11:19 AM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]Conversations are chat ? More than 2 people can talk at the same time , on a single board ?

Well, hey, I do have this plugin called DVZ Shoutbox installed on my website.

Granted it's not private... but you can chat in real-time.  Cool
(2018-08-17, 11:19 AM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]Conversations are chat ?

Current PMs are a bit like email. Each message is stand-alone. Unless you quote the previous message, it's hard to put it into context. (Actually e-mail has perfect threading but not everyone uses it that way, also because many webmail interfaces don't support it).

Future PMs should be more like private threads. You always see the message history. Like is the case on Twitter, Hangouts, Whatsapp, Facebook, and whatnot.

Well, it would actually be relatively simple, when reading a PM, to also query other messages sent to / received from the same user(s) and then simply... show those too. (Regardless which message was actually replied to)

But that wouldn't be fancy.

And the internal data structure could use some optimizing (currently it creates many copies of the same message, one for each sender and recipient).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6