MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.8.16 release is a disaster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Updates always break something. My advice is wait 4 weeks before updating and let those that know sort out the problems.

I could be wrong, but I think it was around this point of 1.6 that it all started getting worse. I won't be applying any more updates and will stay with 1.8.15.

v_2 is right it could put end users off. We just want it simple, updating is bad enough as it is let alone when it causes more problems than fixes.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate what everyone at MyBB does, but I feel the updating has been too erratic of late and when it does come something usually goes wrong. Even a small update 1.8.15 broke videos, it's time to stop 1.8 and move on.

Disaster is probably a bit strong, we have to remember that those working on the software are doing so in their own time and as end users we get to use it for free. But it's not looking good when end users see the problems created with the updates.   

1.9 is being worked on and my advice to end users would be to wait till that is released at .2 then review it and change over or stay on 1.8.15
Just to clarify, 1.8 has a feature lock, meaning no more features will be added. It’s important to note that we will continue to provide bug fixes and release incremental updates when necessary.
(2018-07-09, 03:18 AM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-09, 02:51 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]If people don't read the forums before updating/installing they probably don't take their role too seriously as a webmaster anyway.

That's a seriously flawed excuse.
The release has been up since July 4th, today is July 8. 

Re-read my post(s) ,  no-one says "bugs" don't exist, I said it's a bad idea to have such a BAD RELEASE still available for download, people "unaware" are still downloading it and installing it, this is  bad for marketing.

It's not an excuse, it's just my opinion on the situation. I would NEVER update to a new release on the day it came out without doing my research first.

(2018-07-09, 03:18 AM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]Is a web-master suppose to read every single post on community.mybb.com to find out EVERY SINGLE BUG/SECURITY that s/he needs to PATCH himself ? ( because I don't see all the "reported" bugs condensed into one  single-thread.)

Also, are you saying that the webmaster of community.mybb.com doesn't take his/her role too seriously ?..  because  he/she sure updated this site with the "buggy release". shouldn't he/she have "read the forums before updating" to 1.8.16 ?

A webmaster shouldn't just jump on every release immediately, they should take upgrades seriously and assure that no issues crop up from a release.

We update the community forums before we release to test it in a live environment (After it has been tested locally). There were no serious bug reports when the community was upgraded for .16.

I don't deny that there are issues, I just do not think it's a disaster and that if people just do some research before they update/install there will be no problem.
Do you advise to update or wait?
It seems that there are many people with problems after the update, or are they solved?
(2018-07-09, 12:58 PM)MaFeSa Wrote: [ -> ]Do you advise to update or wait?
It seems that there are many people with problems after the update, or are they solved?

I advise that you wait until .17. It should be coming very soon.
Thanks Wink
(2018-07-09, 10:49 AM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]Updates always break something. My advice is wait 4 weeks before updating and let those that know sort out the problems.

Someone has to be the guinea pig. If everyone waits 4 weeks before updating, then existing bugs will be found 4 weeks after release.
(2018-07-09, 04:07 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-09, 10:49 AM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]Updates always break something. My advice is wait 4 weeks before updating and let those that know sort out the problems.

Someone has to be the guinea pig. If everyone waits 4 weeks before updating, then existing bugs will be found 4 weeks after release.

The people that run tests locally instead of installing on their live boards are the real MVPs.
(2018-07-09, 04:07 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]

Agreed but I know nothing about the inner workings, that is why I suggested waiting. It's better to let those that understand do the testing as they can explain better what is gong on and in some cases add a fix.
I'm still using 1.8.15. Can I skip the current version for the next upgrade?
Pages: 1 2 3 4