MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.8.16 release is a disaster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2018-07-09, 04:07 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Someone has to be the guinea pig. If everyone waits 4 weeks before updating, then existing bugs will be found 4 weeks after release.
My forum is small enough for me to risk it. On release I usually dedicate the coming weekend to update MyBB and then test what I can. I always apply the update on my test forum first to make sure there are no major breaking issues, then I update the live one.

Only do the usual stuffs though - e.g. sign in/out, registering new user, create new post/PM, reply. I didn't check anything else much. e.g. I would have missed the reporting bug as my forum don't generate enough activity for people to report posts. Didn't even notice the first comma in the online list until somebody pointed them out.

If MyBB staff or the community can provide a checklist on what to do/check. Then I can run through the checklist. If possible, release a beta or Release Candidate, supply the checklist. Me (and others hopefully) can run through it all - fix any issues discovered. If no issues - release official version.
(2018-07-09, 12:46 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-09, 03:18 AM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-09, 02:51 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]If people don't read the forums before updating/installing they probably don't take their role too seriously as a webmaster anyway.

That's a seriously flawed excuse.
The release has been up since July 4th, today is July 8. 

Re-read my post(s) ,  no-one says "bugs" don't exist, I said it's a bad idea to have such a BAD RELEASE still available for download, people "unaware" are still downloading it and installing it, this is  bad for marketing.

It's not an excuse, it's just my opinion on the situation. I would NEVER update to a new release on the day it came out without doing my research first.

(2018-07-09, 03:18 AM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]Is a web-master suppose to read every single post on community.mybb.com to find out EVERY SINGLE BUG/SECURITY that s/he needs to PATCH himself ? ( because I don't see all the "reported" bugs condensed into one  single-thread.)

Also, are you saying that the webmaster of community.mybb.com doesn't take his/her role too seriously ?..  because  he/she sure updated this site with the "buggy release". shouldn't he/she have "read the forums before updating" to 1.8.16 ?

A webmaster shouldn't just jump on every release immediately, they should take upgrades seriously and assure that no issues crop up from a release.

We update the community forums before we release to test it in a live environment (After it has been tested locally). There were no serious bug reports when the community was upgraded for .16.

I don't deny that there are issues, I just do not think it's a disaster and that if people just do some research before they update/install there will be no problem.

This has been my practice for years. I personally don't rush to upgrade because things like this do happen.

Also a test clone of your forum (with plugins and themes used) should be upgraded first, test it out, if you have moderators have them test it out and see if you find anything not working. This way your live site doesn't have issues. Again I've been doing this for 15 years and haven't ran into problems with this method of doing things.
I am not able to log in, my members not able to log in
only ACP working, everything else is not.

If someone manage to log in, he can stay in and be active
but log in is a big thing. i tried every suggestion given nothing works.

members can not register or log in. error not leaving since i updated to 1.8.16

tried using new theme still same issue.

Seems we will all learn now,
Not update the forum until u make sure the upgrade is good and working.
i upgraded last night and I regret doing so.
(2018-07-10, 05:56 AM)Ronshaan Wrote: [ -> ]I am not able to log in, my members not able to log in

What date did you download the update/release files ?
(2018-07-10, 05:56 AM)Ronshaan Wrote: [ -> ]I am not able to log in, my members not able to log in

Not update the forum until u make sure the upgrade is good and working.

You've already been given the fix - https://community.mybb.com/thread-218460...pid1308282

If this doesn't work for you then you must simply not be applying it correctly. I've seen you complain about the fix not working when applied but not once asked a user to do it for you or posting your template to see if it's applied correctly.
(2018-07-08, 12:59 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-08, 12:35 PM)PT82 Wrote: [ -> ]I still wating for fix...

For what exactly? A hot fix should be released over the next few days. 99% of the issues have been fixed already.

I waiting for fix to - not showing usergroups and bad icon in footer (i mean this locked icon) not showing
(2018-07-10, 04:40 PM)PT82 Wrote: [ -> ]

For what exactly? A hot fix should be released over the next few days. 99% of the issues have been fixed already.

I waiting for fix to - not showing usergroups and bad icon in footer (i mean this locked icon) not showing

Which have also both been fixed. You're free to test the Usergroup fix here. See here for fix for icon.
(2018-07-10, 06:06 AM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]

What date did you download the update/release files ?

yesterday 9/7

(2018-07-10, 06:09 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]

Not update the forum until u make sure  the upgrade is good and working.

You've already been given the fix - https://community.mybb.com/thread-218460...pid1308282

If this doesn't work for you then you must simply not be applying it correctly. I've seen you complain about the fix not working when applied but not once asked a user to do it for you or posting your template to see if it's applied correctly.

I posted it now 
here
https://community.mybb.com/thread-218460...pid1308653
[quote pid='1308737' dateline='1531242914']

Which have also both been fixed. You're free to test the Usergroup fix here. See here for fix for icon.
[/quote]

Thanks, it is possible download this files or i must edit it manual ?
(2018-07-10, 06:32 PM)PT82 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-10, 05:15 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks, it is possible download this files or i must edit it manual ?

The fix for the icon in the footer is a template edit. Edit the "index" template and change "forum_offlock" to "forum_offclose".

The fix for the user group icons has several files changed. You can download a ZIP with all the MyBB files for the fix branch here: https://github.com/euantorano/mybb/archi...-stars.zip

You then just need to upload the files listed on this page (there are 7 files): https://github.com/mybb/mybb/pull/3315/files
Pages: 1 2 3 4