MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: error after upgrade to 1.8.18 - The message is missing. Please enter a message.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2018-08-24, 09:36 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]This upgrade makes a lot of template changes and adds CSS to the global.css, something that many users miss after upgrading.

So @Ronshaan first tell us if this happens on your forum with the default theme, and secondly you need to check your custom theme against the modified templates list here:
https://mybb.com/versions/1.8.18/

Then you need to go add the changes to global.css as well.

As you can see editpost and postbit_edit templates have changes in them.

hI, 
It happens with every theme, default and others too
i have added manually to some themes, it was there in some default themes 
hopping it will solve the problem

(2018-08-24, 12:56 PM)MinusPL Wrote: [ -> ]Okay so your problem isn't connected with too old php version, now I could check it myself. Can I get link to your forum?

I'd like to check it on my own and try to reproduce problem. Of course if it isn't a problem.

Nevermind: found your forum url. Registered. It posted, but I noticed some error right before I had redirection page in console.

hi, 
test again, i have seen your post there. 
it was just waiting for my approval there.
P.S; This is only on newreply.php and newthread.php, using quickeditor works fine.

It's pretty obvious what is happening.
At least in my case when the HTML page is handed out there are 2 textareas and the one focused on the newreply and newthread pages is the wrong one, it doesn't even have the "message" id so therefore any message typed into it will be ignored which is why you're all getting the "Missing Message" error. If you inspect element and type your message onto the actual textarea with the "message" html id then whatever you type will be posted.

Sidenote; How the hell is /jscripts/post.js supposed to get the "php_max_file_uploads" variable, its not passed anywhere.
I'll check with commits on gihtub. There's an option that somehow it has not been added to some files.

Edit: All files seem to be okay. Everything is in there.
(2018-08-24, 02:07 PM)Omnipotent Wrote: [ -> ]Sidenote; How the hell is /jscripts/post.js supposed to get the "php_max_file_uploads" variable, its not passed anywhere.
It's defined in template "post_javascript".
@Ronshaan Did you fix this error on your forum? If so please explain how.

Nevermind I finally fixed it, it was an issue with JS+CSS no idea why the update triggered this but it messed newreply and newthread templates.
After some testing I have some information on this issue:
  • It can happen, but it's random - don't know how to make it happen every time
  • When this happens, editor seem to work properly, is shown etc. but when posting it would be empty
  • There's no second textarea - that one hidden with display:none is actually our main textarea to send data and is synchronized with SCEditor.
  • When this issue happens whole SCEditor would be totally detached from our normal textarea, like some kind of bug in js or other thing took place.
  • I had only once experienced it in about 100 tries, so it is really random - someone can experience it all the time, and other one can never experience it at all.
Any thoughts on fix - none yet. It happens too randomly to check this properly.
(2018-08-24, 05:07 PM)MinusPL Wrote: [ -> ]After some testing I have some information on this issue:
  • When this happens, editor seem to work properly, is shown etc. but when posting it would be empty
  • There's no second textarea - that one hidden with display:none is actually our main textarea to send data and is synchronized with SCEditor.
  • When this issue happens whole SCEditor would be totally detached from our normal textarea, like some kind of bug in js or other thing took place.
  • I had only once experienced it in about 100 tries, so it is really random - someone can experience it all the time, and other one can never experience it at all.

Yeah I noticed some users on my forum were still able to make threads normally and I had no clue how as my admin and normal account were unable to but then I fixed a JS error and now I can edit them perfectly... And that is what I meant by the "2 textareas" SCEditor was completely detached from the actual textarea html which was probably due to a JS error.

Make sure these are applied:
On newreply, newthread and editpost:
Make sure the line that hooks in post.js has been replaced with {$post_javascript}
@Omnipotent - No i didn't fix it, i saw that it comes rendomly sometimes it posts normally and sometimes the empty message error shows up. i tried several times and once it came with an error so no idea how to make this error go away.

is this how to fix this error?
(2018-08-24, 05:17 PM)Omnipotent Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-24, 05:07 PM)MinusPL Wrote: [ -> ]After some testing I have some information on this issue:

Yeah I noticed some users on my forum were still able to make threads normally and I had no clue how as my admin and normal account were unable to but then I fixed a JS error and now I can edit them perfectly... And that is what I meant by the "2 textareas" SCEditor was completely detached from the actual textarea html which was probably due to a JS error.

Make sure these are applied:
On newreply, newthread and editpost:
Make sure the line that hooks in post.js has been replaced with {$post_javascript}
Hi, I have the same problem with default theme and language.
Many users have reported "The message is missing. Please enter a message." error.
@Ronshaan try to use method that @Omnipotent mentioned. In this case, you should try anything that can fix this Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4