MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: error after upgrade to 1.8.18 - The message is missing. Please enter a message.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2018-08-24, 10:39 PM)MinusPL Wrote: [ -> ]@Ronshaan try to use method that @Omnipotent mentioned. In this case, you should try anything that can fix this Smile

I am pretty sure it would fix it for him considering he mentioned that he had a php_max_uploads error on JS. Meaning the post_javascript template is not being hooked properly.
I've had this happen too, but only to certain members, and only when starting threads. I've checked all of the file and template updates listed in here, and they've all been put in place correctly.

I did have one other idea, though. I use CloudFlare - so, could it be that this is caching my JavaScript files, and serving old cached copies of post.js and thread.js to certain members? Some members (including myself) are able to start new threads just fine; however, others are running into "The message is missing" errors every time Sad .

I've now purged all four of the affected JS files from my CloudFlare cache. Since I only just did this (and none of the affected members has been online since), I don't yet know whether this has solved the problem for me - but, I still think it's worth me pointing it out, so that any other CDN users can make sure to remember to purge these JS files (or just configure their CDN to not cache JS files in the first place). That sort of thing is quite easy to miss.
Yeah, it's possible, because CloudFlare caches all css, js, images etc.
You can temporarily turn off that feature on cloudflare and see if it changes anything.
So check that and give us feedback if this resloved your problem Smile
Turns out that some people still had issues even after I purged the CloudFlare cache.

After doing more investigation, I eventually found that it was a problem with the RIN Editor (which I've brought up over in the relevant thread: https://community.mybb.com/thread-189422...pid1312648).

Still, probably worth keeping a note of the CloudFlare issue, since that may have been causing problems for some people.
(2018-08-24, 05:17 PM)Omnipotent Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-24, 05:07 PM)MinusPL Wrote: [ -> ]After some testing I have some information on this issue:
  • It can happen, but it's random - don't know how to make it happen every time
  • When this happens, editor seem to work properly, is shown etc. but when posting it would be empty
  • There's no second textarea - that one hidden with display:none is actually our main textarea to send data and is synchronized with SCEditor.
  • When this issue happens whole SCEditor would be totally detached from our normal textarea, like some kind of bug in js or other thing took place.
  • I had only once experienced it in about 100 tries, so it is really random - someone can experience it all the time, and other one can never experience it at all.
Any thoughts on fix - none yet. It happens too randomly to check this properly.

Yeah I noticed some users on my forum were still able to make threads normally and I had no clue how as my admin and normal account were unable to but then I fixed a JS error and now I can edit them perfectly... And that is what I meant by the "2 textareas" SCEditor was completely detached from the actual textarea html which was probably due to a JS error.

Make sure these are applied:
On newreply, newthread and editpost:
Make sure the line that hooks in post.js has been replaced with {$post_javascript}

This seems to have worked for me so far.

Replaced

<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->asset_url}/jscripts/post.js?ver=1800"></script>
in newreply, newthread, and editpost.

With

{$post_javascript}

Hopefully I did that right.
i will try this and will c.
(2018-08-26, 06:28 PM)Brody Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-24, 05:07 PM)MinusPL Wrote: [ -> ]After some testing I have some information on this issue:
  • When this happens, editor seem to work properly, is shown etc. but when posting it would be empty
  • There's no second textarea - that one hidden with display:none is actually our main textarea to send data and is synchronized with SCEditor.
  • When this issue happens whole SCEditor would be totally detached from our normal textarea, like some kind of bug in js or other thing took place.
  • I had only once experienced it in about 100 tries, so it is really random - someone can experience it all the time, and other one can never experience it at all.

Yeah I noticed some users on my forum were still able to make threads normally and I had no clue how as my admin and normal account were unable to but then I fixed a JS error and now I can edit them perfectly... And that is what I meant by the "2 textareas" SCEditor was completely detached from the actual textarea html which was probably due to a JS error.

Make sure the line that hooks in post.js has been replaced with {$post_javascript}

Replaced

<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->asset_url}/jscripts/post.js?ver=1800"></script>

With

{$post_javascript}

@Brody this worked, Nice suggestion
it solved the error, Thank you
(2018-08-26, 06:28 PM)Brody Wrote: [ -> ]

Replaced

With

{$post_javascript}

This is working for me also .... its allow me using my old theme ... tq
I was getting this on quick-reply only.
So with cloudflare development mode on I update and start testing things and notice it happen.
Turn Development mode off, fixed... ok weird, but i need it off to do upgrades without purge cache before every refresh.
So i Turn Development mode back on, and Rocket Loader off, and its fixed.
I finish my work, Turn off development mode and put Rocket Loader back on. Works great.

tl;dr
If you use Cloudflare and are getting weird JS-looking issues
Dev Mode on + Rocket Loader on = things (js mainly) break
Dev Mode on + Rocket Loader off = Good
Dev Mode off + Rocket Loader on = Good
Dev Mode off + Rocker Loader off = Good
I recently updated from 1.8.16 to 1.8.20 and getting the same error after creating a new thread: "The message is missing. Please enter a message."
The error already appears if I click "Preview Post".

I'm using Cloudflare and already have set Dev Mode off + Rocker Loader off.

Using the MyBB default theme. After switching to a different theme (Flatty) the error doesn't appear any more. How can I download a working version of the MyBB default theme?
Resolved: Needed to update Rin-Editor.
Pages: 1 2 3 4