MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Host upgrading their PHP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
No, I didn't. I figured that might of been an issue, but I had no idea what I had to change. I will have to look for that tomorrow. It's too late now and it seems I had more time than I thought.

On that note I might have a plugin that will cause me trouble. When I took over the site I had to change the URL and one of the premium plugins the founder installed didn't like that and stopped the site from working. Fortunately my host found a work around. I never did get around to removing that blasted thing. We were already having issues with it before the move. I'm afraid I wasn't quite sure how to uninstall it. For the record he got it from MyBB Extras.

Well my website is down and I get a MyBB Error (44). I assume that's about the out of date PHP I'm using, in which case I have to contact my host. I just wanted to double check that that is the issue.
Go to your inc/config.php file and edit the value $config['database']['type'] to be mysqli instead of mysql ( this is assuming you are using mysql which is the most common type ). Error information
(2021-03-02, 06:17 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]I am wondering something here...

When you uncompressed the backup into that subdomain, did you change the URL to reflect the subdomain route?

If you tried to keep it identical, it won't work until you actually change the paths in the Settings.php.

For example...

Current website: mydomain.com
Subdomain website: mydomain.com\subdomain\

If that is not fixed in the Settings.php, you won't be able to access anything.

That's the 1st place I would look at before driving yourself crazy.

No, I didn't. Where would I find this settings.php? I ran a search and found five of them in my cPanel File Manager, two of which were in my subdomain. They were forums/admin/modules/newpoints/settings.php and forums/admin/modules/config/settings.php. However nether of them had my URL in them. I found a fifth one I don't understand, as it was also in the public_html folder and should of been copied like the other two, but for some reason seems not to. That one was in forums/inc/settings.php. In fact the whole inc folder seems to be missing from my subdomain even though I was of the understanding everything was copied except two files I created accidentally and have since deleted.

Also I'm not sure what the proper way to edit it is. I'm using Hostgator if that helps and I'm still on 1.6, since this is part of me trying to update to 1.8.

Its not clear to me how I'm suppose to edit the file. When I select settings.php and click the "edit" button at the top of the Hostgator cPanel file manager I find a notice at the top that says "Please do not edit this file, please use the settings editor." but I don't know what that is or where to find it.
(2021-03-03, 01:22 AM)Negima Wrote: [ -> ]No, I didn't. Where would I find this settings.php? I ran a search and found five of them in my cPanel File Manager, two of which were in my subdomain. They were forums/admin/modules/newpoints/settings.php and forums/admin/modules/config/settings.php. However nether of them had my URL in them. I found a fifth one I don't understand, as it was also in the public_html folder and should of been copied like the other two, but for some reason seems not to. That one was in forums/inc/settings.php. In fact the whole inc folder seems to be missing from my subdomain even though I was of the understanding everything was copied except two files I created accidentally and have since deleted.

Also I'm not sure what the proper way to edit it is. I'm using Hostgator if that helps and I'm still on 1.6, since this is part of me trying to update to 1.8.

Its not clear to me how I'm suppose to edit the file. When I select settings.php and click the "edit" button at the top of the Hostgator cPanel file manager I find a notice at the top that says "Please do not edit this file, please use the settings editor." but I don't know what that is or where to find it.

That warning is a standard blurb in  .../inc/settings.php.  Warning you (I believe) that any changes made are temporary - until the corresponding values in the ACP are updated.  Which also writes them to the database.  Also to warn screwing up this file can cause problems. Toungue  Not a bad idea to make a backup of the file before editing.  Although it will regenerate if missing IIRC.  Still, a backup is quick and easy.

So ...inc/settings.php is the file you're after.  Hopefully getting things working enough you can go into the ACP and make any required changes.

cheers...
(2021-03-02, 09:26 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]Go to your inc/config.php file and edit the value $config['database']['type'] to be mysqli instead of mysql ( this is assuming you are using mysql which is the most common type ).  Error information

I had been holding off doing that while trying to get my subdomain up and running so I could test that out before I messed with that. However when I checked I found that the inc/config.php file I found it was blank for some reason. I do worry my site took some damage when they updated the servers. Something like that happened before during server maintenance and my skins broke. It was mostly cosmetic as it was still functional, it just didn't look as nice, and I had lost my backups, so I hadn't restored it. This time had created a backup shortly before this happened. I have been thinking about doing it anyway since the field is blank.

(2021-03-03, 11:21 AM)nixer55 Wrote: [ -> ]That warning is a standard blurb in  .../inc/settings.php.  Warning you (I believe) that any changes made are temporary - until the corresponding values in the ACP are updated.  Which also writes them to the database.  Also to warn screwing up this file can cause problems. Toungue  Not a bad idea to make a backup of the file before editing.  Although it will regenerate if missing IIRC.  Still, a backup is quick and easy.

So ...inc/settings.php is the file you're after.  Hopefully getting things working enough you can go into the ACP and make any required changes.

cheers...

So far that hasn't work. I don't know what I'm doing. Granted several files weren't copied over like I thought they were.

(2021-03-02, 09:26 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]Go to your inc/config.php file and edit the value $config['database']['type'] to be mysqli instead of mysql ( this is assuming you are using mysql which is the most common type ).  Error information

A follow up. I have since fixed the error by having my host revert the update and it seems like everything is back to how it was before, such as it is, but that's just a temporary fix.  However I am concerned that the file you told me about was blank. I'm still on 1.6, but I am trying to update to 1.8. I'm hoping the file will be fixed during this.

On that note I also found this YouTube video on how to update MyBB, but it's 10 years old. It was helpful to see it in action rather than just reading about it, but I wanted to know if that is still current. I also don't have filezilla and wonder if that's necessary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8gPVfRuddw
I am having a similar problem, also with Hostgator and v1.6

Is it possible to test locally rather than a subdomain?
I have complete backup, including database.

Once running, I would like to transfer from Win back to host. Using Xampp.

In near future I can do this from Linux.
Okay, I was finally able to preform the update and I'm now running on version 1.8.26 and as far as I can tell everything is working fine. I haven't found any issues and in fact an issue I had before the update is gone.

I do have one concern. In my admin cPanel is says I am running on PHP 5.2.17 and I preformed this update because my host was updating their servers and I will need PHP version 7.4 or later. Is there anything I need to do to change this or will it fix itself when the host does the update?

Okay, I'm running into some issues. I was unable to delete a thread. I select several boxes to delete some spam threads, but the Inline Thread Moderation didn't work. When I tried I got an error message saying "Sorry, but you did not select any threads to perform inline moderation on, or your previous moderation session has expired (Automatically after 1 hour of inactivity). Please select some threads and try again."

I get the feeling it was the former, as the button that said "go" has a (0) on it that wouldn't change.

Also what happens if I selected the wrong version during the update when it asks for my current version? I might of selected the wrong one. One of the options was for several versions of 1.6, but I don't recall if 1.6.15 was among them. Due to some issues I had been unable to access my home page in admin CP to check and I didn't remember my notes until I was already well into the process.
Most likely you are using a theme from the MyBB 1.6 series which would explain the errors such as the number of threads next to Go. To fix this, you could install a theme from the Extend section that is for the 1.8 series. I would recommend using a theme that has been updated within the last couple months because then it would probably have fixes for some of the more recent issues that were patched.
I see. Good to know. Speaking of which I can't find the option to change themes. Maybe I don't remember where it was or maybe it was moved, but the option could just be gone. I hope it doesn't cause any trouble if I remove my existing themes, after installing new ones of course.
Well my site is down again. I don't know if it is the fault of my PHP or not. After upgrading to the 1.8 series was I suppose to manually change the PHP?
Pages: 1 2 3