MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Responsive theme of your forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Of all the forums mybb is the only one that is a little more up-to-date (compared to phpbb, smf, vbulletin etc.) but the defoult theme (and your theme you use on this site) are not compatible with mobile phones and Tablet.
In 2021 it is not possible to have an unresponsive theme.
Among the free themes that you can download on your site there are various responsibe and then the official forum is not responsibe?
I understand that forums are not much used as they used to be but designers are also doing everything to keep them from being used.
With MyBB 1.9, the default theme will be responsive. That and a lot of new features are coming up in 1.9 Smile
Let's hope it comes out soon then.
Those who have to install a forum and then see that defoult is not responsive, they are not very inclined to use it later ...
(2021-03-02, 03:33 PM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-02, 05:24 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]I stopped waiting for MyBB 1.9x. I stopped justifying continuing use of MyBB for my websites.
After reading over and over the same canned responses... "MyBB 1.9x will be released when it's ready...", I moved onto a different forum software and I haven't l

I been considering launching a forum here soon, already got hosting. 

The problem is I really want to use MyBB because I know it much more then any other forum software but I fear that MyBB won't be around much longer at this rate. 

So I got a few options. 

1. MyBB and hope it remains updated and stays around and work around all these buggy plugins because nobody is updating them anymore due to 1.9 anticipation.

2. phpBB which has already had modern features for years now including responsive and built in alerts and also is well known to be very secure out of the box and is always getting updates. Just maybe slightly harder to work on and I prefer the MyBB theme system. 

or cough up money for a paid option.

(2021-06-12, 04:10 PM)Ricsca Wrote: [ -> ]Of all the forums mybb is the only one that is a little more up-to-date (compared to phpbb, smf, vbulletin etc.) but the defoult theme (and your theme you use on this site) are not compatible with mobile phones and Tablet.
In 2021 it is not possible to have an unresponsive theme.
Among the free themes that you can download on your site there are various responsibe and then the official forum is not responsibe?
I understand that forums are not much used as they used to be but designers are also doing everything to keep them from being used.

I would argue that SMF default theme is responsive and mobile friendly.
No discussion board guru, but been around the computing game longer than many have been alive.  Most of that time in business solutions, but for the last few years, involved with a well known board in a niche genre.  Very few BBS's left in our subject area - most have migrated to big tech - if they exist at all.

Seems to me making your theme responsive is only part of the challenge.  Many of these devices don't lend themselves well to the concept of a discussion board.  With all the options and choices typically available.  So you have to rethink what you're offering and how.  A responsive theme intuitive for a mobile device might appear overly simplistic to some PC users.  So do you cater to mobile, or take an adaptive approach?  With the duplication of effort that entails?   Finding the sweet spot will be a big part in adapting to internet usage metrics.

I support mybb's approach in revising the technical underpinnings of 1.9 - rather than releasing a responsive theme which uses css to hide overflows for certain screen sizes.  Not sure what these changes will mean to a good-sized and long term board like ours.  But keeping the 1.8x series alive - even without a default responsive theme - gives us some choices.

We've made a responsive theme available - one of @WallBB's in fact - but you have to join to use it.  It's a well thought out theme, and works very well, but not many take advantage.  Does that mean we're obsolete?  Maybe.  But responsive themes by themselves are not a complete solution.  IMO...

Seen many things come and go over the 40+ years I've been involved with tech - over 30 as a salaried professional.  Wish I had all the answers, but don't.  Just know this paradigm change in internet usage can't be resolved by a theme.  Could be wrong - been wrong before.  But I find that answer overly simplistic.

cheers...
Here's one real-world example:
We're using MyBB to run a discussion board of a small community since 2013. Main custom theme BlackTimes was somewhat narrow, especially on a widescreen desktop, but in use by all. Way too small on a mobile screen, but usable by zooming the display and sliding to the right to see post content, occasionally having to go to landscape view. PITA, hence introduced a responsive theme from WallBB. Many tried it, but only one kept it. Most have gone back to the legacy theme BlackTimes, the rest use the NewBlackTimes theme which is a look-alike created on the MyBB default theme when we went from 1.6 to 1.8.

Old codgers don't take to new-fangled stuff so easily. Big Grin

Big tech has gobbled up the vast majority. I consider ourselves a specialty niche, and look forward to 1.9, but willing to stick with 1.8 until then.
I think you're making it too complicated ...
Today most users have moved to facebook and therefore very few still use the forums but they are used anyway ...
Most artiva mobile users therefore need to have a responsibe theme.
I think you're oversimplifying, and may be surprised.

But $25 USD isn't much of a gamble, so go for it. Toungue
I attach how you can see the forum from iphone for those who wrote that it is responsive ...

This free responsive theme: https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?acti...w&pid=1037

[Image: 25-AA2-B6-D-7-E60-4-C70-8-F3-D-98-EB631704-A3.png]

I've moved this thread out of the General Support section because it seems no actual support is required.

It's worth mentioning that you can follow the 1.9 Development updates - https://community.mybb.com/thread-215211...pid1367827
Pages: 1 2 3 4