MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: leecher problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a problem with to many people coming to my forum and only leeching not making any posts.... so i have decided to make it so they cant view certain parts of the forum without geting at least 5 posts... how would i go about doing this?
ugar0 Wrote:so i have decided to make it so they cant view certain parts of the forum without geting at least 5 posts...
This isn't practical...they will make the 5 posts and then start leeching.Sad
This is more of a psychological problem.

Generally, this is what happens (unless there's a big factor to convince users to contribute):
- Open boards -> more Guests than users
- Closed boards -> if the board is known to have good content, there'll be a lot of "useless" users; if not, people will probably go away
- Closed boards that force contribution -> you'll tend to end up with a heap of junk posts, provided the board is known to have good content

You'll have to decide what you want.
This is mainly why I manually upgrade my members when they made the necessary posts, so they can't just make useless posts to move on to the restricted areas. If they do that, I simply delete their posts and they must start over. At least I don't have too much of a problem with members doing that, which is a good thing.
hmm well i just need them to make 5 posts then they might get energized with posting. i intsalled the plugin but it wont show up in my plugin manager for some reason.... i put all the files in the right place.
also when i activate certan plugins like custom pages i get an error like this

MySQLi error: 1050
Table 'mybb_pages' already exists
Query: CREATE TABLE mybb_pages ( id INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY , page TEXT NOT NULL , title TEXT NOT NULL , content TEXT NOT NULL , permissions TEXT NOT NULL , active TEXT NOT NULL , use_table TEXT NOT NULL )
Have you activated the plugin before? It looks like it doesn't check if it's table exists before trying to recreate it.

If you don't need data in the old mybb_pages table, delete it and activate the plugin. If you do need the data in the table, comment out the query which tries to create the table in the activate function of the plugin.
i dont need the data how would i delete the mybb_pages table?
ugar0 Wrote:i dont need the data how would i delete the mybb_pages table?

In your myphpadmin. Locate the table and delete (drop) it.
Pages: 1 2 3