MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Do Schools Etc, Teach English These Days?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
English isn't my native language.
Yet I can guess that people understand my posts, right? Toungue
with respect to 'English', it is pretty customary these days in large corporations and industries to write at the very lowest level possible. That is to say to write company notices, training programs, etc at a very low grade level such as 3 or 4. IN this way they can accommodate everyone that can potentially be under their employment so that they don't miss anyone or so that no one is kept out of the loop.

On the subject of grammar, there is a new language out there and it is the internet language, where people use emoticons and short cuts to get their messages across. This probably come out of the fact that so many people just don't know how to type.

IMHO Smile CoolBig GrinToungue
Im da best ma english r0ckzzz lawlzz!!1!1111one....... Toungue

In all seriousness: I really like posting replies with proper grammar and spelling; it gives a really good impression, it also makes it easy for others to read and understand what I mean. but it's not an easy job since English is not my native language of course, and I'm still learning it too!

I agree with rh1n0 on hating people using improper words instead of some words, like using "your" instead of "you are", which is pretty annoying and confusing.
rh1n0 Wrote:
spikescot2005 Wrote:wat r u tryin 2 say, dont fink there is a prob!
I think you mean..
wot r u tryn 2 sey, dnt fnk der iz a prob!

See, increase in spelling errors already, and shorter!

iz ya tryin 2 dis ma!

Being serious now... I know it helps to post with proper grammar and spelling but for some of us it can be quite hard even if English is your first language.
Unfortunately for those who persist on using the shortened version of the English language, there will always be those who will correct and apply proper use of language. That does not go to say, however, that the shortened version will become more or less popular in the future.
ct2k7 Wrote:that the shortened version will become more or less popular in the future.

In hope, it will become less popular. I know many instructors can't handle the improperness. Toungue
They may later on think they're using "sophistication" by replacing seriously with horsly. lol!
I hope I used some improperness grammar to give how annoyed it can see.
Mamoun Wrote:In all seriousness: I really like posting replies with proper grammar and spelling; it gives a really good impression, it also makes it easy for others to read and understand what I mean. but it's not an easy job since English is not my native language of course, and I'm still learning it too!

I agree and since this is a "help" forum, post asking for help should at least be "readable".

Mamoun Wrote:I agree with rh1n0 on hating people using improper words instead of some words, like using "your" instead of "you are", which is pretty annoying and confusing.

I think it's okay to abbreviate the words just so long as it's done properly.

Another one that makes me laugh is when folks say "I would of done that", when it should be "I would have done that"! LOL!

All in all this has been an interesting read. It's been good to see all the comments, although I certainly wouldn't want to rely on Firefox for any spelling errors! :p
You know what's also annoying?

"Lawlz iZe uh iveezybuwl TM Neenja T! Ize likes 2 eet lowza punkakez and suryup wif nubz..."

That makes me sick, the crappy ninja jokes... Okay you told me once, you're a F***ing invisible teenage mutant ninja turtle who eats syrup and pancakes with noobs. And I hear it fifteen times more out of their mouth.

I hear that a lot, especially on MySpace...
MrDoom Wrote:I know I like to abuse commas Toungue

Some! people! abuse! exclamation marks! too! !!!
Quote:Another one that makes me laugh is when folks say "I would of done that", when it should be "I would have done that"!

That's just the way I speak. Toungue

I see fewer and fewer people actually using shorthand to type messages anymore. As we get more and more into the Digital Age, more and more people actually learn how to type properly.

So, I really could foresee Short Hand being phased out. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5