MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Market Share of MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
HarryWx Wrote:THAT IMO is basically the same thing. Basically being told that if you want the better features that you have to pay for them. I STILL think mybb offering some type of paid hosting and paid forum hosting service with paid extras such as installing the forum etc would be the route to go. Maybe even offer paid services such as having them install the forum for you which i have seen a few wish/suggest mybb had. The furthest i would go is to perhaps offer a paid package for better support BUT after the community has picked up ofcourse. Basically pick up where IPB dropped the ball at right before they went paid.

Too each his own. Toungue

Either way, MyBB will need to come up with a way to generate more revenue as they get bigger (and with 1.4 I expect a member increase), they can't last much longer on donation alone, and the text link ads on the main page won't do much either.
We can't last much longer on donations alone? We need a way to generate more revenue?

I'd like to know where you're getting these ideas from.
Yeah. I think it will be a while before MyBB becomes so absolutely massive that money could be a concern. Though more members == more people to donate Wink
Chris Boulton Wrote:We can't last much longer on donations alone? We need a way to generate more revenue?

Oh don't get me wrong, what I'm saying is that eventually (maybe not now, but eventually) you'll need a stronger revenue flow than what you have now.

It's inevitable, MyBB is growing, and growing pretty fast from what I can see, and with that you'll need more ways of generating revenue.

Not lasting much longer was a bad way of putting it, I admit that, but my point is still valid. It may not be today, tomorrow, nor may it be next year but it's clear that MyBB is the hottest free forum software on the market now. More people are coming in from phpBB and SMF due to the Converters being ready to use. And with 1.4 around the corner then 1.6 or 2.0 coming within the next year or two MyBB's member base will jump, no doubt about it. And with that comes more daily hits, downloads, forum members, posts, etc. And you'll need to start looking into a bigger server or possibly multiple servers (if you haven't got them already).

I didn't mean to offend in anyway, I was just trying to state what will eventually happen. Not everyone can or is willing to donate, they just want the product.
KuJoe Wrote:LoL, I still use it, but not for all my forums. It's nothing against MyBB, it's just that the developement/patching tends to be a bit better for paid software than freeware. Of course there is exceptions and MyBB is the best I've encountered on the freeware market to date, but having only been using it for a short period I'm not ready to trust it completely just yet with my important production sites. Wink

I agree to a certain extent. If you are fully reliant on the mybb staff you're in trouble imho.

I have seen more than once the attitude from staff that "it's free so don't complain". However I don't rely on staff too much (other than the 1.4 update wait) for support so for me paying VB or IPB is a pure waste of my money.

It would be cool if mybb displayed a counter on it's download page about how many times per day, per week, and per month the software is downloaded. This might actually help promote. I know that if I saw mybb had 5000 downloads per week it would give me more confidence in it's popularity. I still think mybb could benefit by placing the software at Sourceforge.

Quote:It's inevitable, MyBB is growing, and growing pretty fast from what I can see, and with that you'll need more ways of generating revenue.

I guess you believe Mr. Bolton is a liar when he says mybb will ALWAYS be free. PHPBB has managed to stay free for about 7 years now and it's by far the #1 forum used today.

http://web.archive.org/web/2001102910555...net/phpBB/ <-- get a laugh

Paid software is normally done to pay for support staff. So far mybb has done pretty well with it's volunteers. I don't see them all getting greedy at once and forcing Chris to add them to a payroll. We might see people come and go but that's about it.

As you say...he might need to create more revenue but paid software isn't the only way to monetize this site or mybb. As mybb grows so will requests for good hosts. I can see Chris making enough from referrals eventually. He also seems willing to take a bit of a loss on this project. I don't know his personal life situation but not everyone does things in order to MAKE money...some people have hobbies that COST them money. I have a suspicion that's part of the thing with Chris for mybb. This is his "project" and it's just part of his life at this point.
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:
Chris Boulton Wrote:We can't last much longer on donations alone? We need a way to generate more revenue?

Oh don't get me wrong, what I'm saying is that eventually (maybe not now, but eventually) you'll need a stronger revenue flow than what you have now.

It's inevitable, MyBB is growing, and growing pretty fast from what I can see, and with that you'll need more ways of generating revenue.

MyBB also has ads and a little finical baking by Interspire? Well at least they were the sponsor for the last news letter. I mean MyBB doesn't just last on Donations.
MrDoom Wrote:
rcpalace Wrote:If MyBB does go paid, I'd probably go to Vbulletin or IPB for my business sites.
See, that's the kind of logic I never understand. "Oh, well, I guess I have to pay for this now. Hey! Let's go pay 10 times the amount for something with more bloat." It's like your some kind of trend tangerine or something.

With more bloat? MyBB doesn't have any bloat. Btw, I only said it to *try* to discourage you guys to go to paid if it ever comes to thought. Toungue As I said in a previous post, if MyBB does go paid, I always have my own forum software to use. (which would need some revision).

KuJoe Wrote:
MrDoom Wrote:
rcpalace Wrote:If MyBB does go paid, I'd probably go to Vbulletin or IPB for my business sites.
See, that's the kind of logic I never understand. "Oh, well, I guess I have to pay for this now. Hey! Let's go pay 10 times the amount for something with more bloat." It's like your some kind of trend tangerine or something.
but asking for more from a volunteer team is selfish and unreasonable.

You have a lot to learn friend; I already have been there. I Was treated like some kind of working machine. Especially when I did the work and they'd tell me they don't like it and I need to re-do it. Not to mention, in the end they ended up not needing the entire project. That was the last time I did volunteer work for anyone. This is why I don't like to show people my skill anymore or I would show them that I'm not to great. Of course I still do some volunteer work but for small projects, unless otherwise I'm proven that most volunteer work isn't the way I was treated.
rcpalace Wrote:...stuff...

Once again you didn't bother to read either of our posts. *Shakes head* You just agreed with both of us while at the same time contradicting what you said.
KuJoe Wrote:
rcpalace Wrote:...stuff...

Once again you didn't bother to read either of our posts. *Shakes head* You just agreed with both of us while at the same time contradicting what you said.

I'd like to see my full post that you quoted "stuff" from, becuase I can't seem to find it.
Because your post was a total contradiction and made no sense. You quoted something I and MrDoom wrote, then re-wrote it in your own words while implying we were incorrect. At this point you are arguing for the sake of arguing which is not helping the discussion at all. Whether you are intentially doing this or really cannot comprehend our posts I don't know and I apologize if we are confusing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9