MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Market Share of MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
labrocca Wrote:I guess you believe Mr. Bolton is a liar when he says mybb will ALWAYS be free. PHPBB has managed to stay free for about 7 years now and it's by far the #1 forum used today.

No, I don't believe he is a liar, nor did I ever say MyBB itself should go paid. I merely stated that eventually alternatives will need to be dreamt up in order to properly maintain this website, I don't care if it's banner ads, paid add-ons, what have you, but it will have to happen.

I've always believed MyBB will be free, even before Chris announced that it would stay free (originally, it was to become paid software, but Chris decided against it, look it up on your Web Archive, you can still find that announcement).

Quote:As you say...he might need to create more revenue but paid software isn't the only way to monetize this site or mybb. As mybb grows so will requests for good hosts. I can see Chris making enough from referrals eventually. He also seems willing to take a bit of a loss on this project. I don't know his personal life situation but not everyone does things in order to MAKE money...some people have hobbies that COST them money. I have a suspicion that's part of the thing with Chris for mybb. This is his "project" and it's just part of his life at this point.

Paid software was just an idea of mine, you're looking way too much into it. I merely suggested that the team look into creating add-ons that could be paid which would add features that aren't practical to add to the core product.

And I didn't even say make MyBB paid, just make add-ons to it that are. May not make sense but again, it was just an idea of mine.
KuJoe Wrote:Because your post was a total contradiction and made no sense. You quoted something I and MrDoom wrote, then re-wrote it in your own words while implying we were incorrect.

What your saying is incorrect. I just told you my experiences with volunteer work. Are you saying my experiences are incorrect. 0.o Plus, you still haven't showed me my post with the word "stuff" in it.

Quote:Whether you are intentially doing this or really cannot comprehend our posts I don't know and I apologize if we are confusing.

Yes, I intentionally told you my experiences. Yes, I can comprehend your posts, thanks for asking. Ya, I might of contradicted myself with my two posts, that's why I made a clarification post. Wink
Ok, I see there is a miscommunication here, continuing this conversation with you will get neither of us anywhere as you and I have different definitions of the word "comprehend". I apologize and suggest we both cease as it will be an on going stalemate that will neither progress the current topic of discussion nor would it benefit either of us in anyway what so ever.
Quote:It's inevitable, MyBB is growing, and growing pretty fast from what I can see, and with that you'll need more ways of generating revenue.
phpBB has remained free without many problems for the last 7 years as pointed out by Labrocca. You don't need to generate revenue to sustain a free product.

That being said, there are several larger companies who would be interested in helping MyBB out if it came to it - and I'm talking about providing resources to sustain the product, not change it in to something commercial.

That being said, there's a relatively large announcement we'll be making in a few months regarding a new MyBB partner which could see MyBB usage sky-rocket.

Quote:It would be cool if mybb displayed a counter on it's download page about how many times per day, per week, and per month the software is downloaded. This might actually help promote. I know that if I saw mybb had 5000 downloads per week it would give me more confidence in it's popularity. I still think mybb could benefit by placing the software at Sourceforge.
You're very close when you say 5,000 downloads per week. In fact, you're only about 500 off (in the last week)

Quote:I don't know his personal life situation but not everyone does things in order to MAKE money...some people have hobbies that COST them money. I have a suspicion that's part of the thing with Chris for mybb. This is his "project" and it's just part of his life at this point.
MyBB costs me about $13 US a month to run. The rest is paid for by the advertising. Any money that MyBB does end up making on top of what is being used to pay for the servers etc is not mine and I'm not here to make money.

Quote:MyBB also has ads and a little finical baking by Interspire? Well at least they were the sponsor for the last news letter. I mean MyBB doesn't just last on Donations.
There is no financial backing from Interspire. It's simply where I earn my keep. Interspire also provides the software we're now using for our newsletters (SendStudio) and the application that powers the search on the MyBB site (FastFind).

Just wanted to clear that up.
Well Chris speaks, now us peons have nothing to bicker back and forth about. I vote for a close of this off topic hijacked headache. Who's with me? Wink
KuJoe Wrote:Well Chris speaks, now us peons have nothing to bicker back and forth about. I vote for a close of this off topic headache. Who's with me? Wink

This is the third argument this week. (most of them being pointless.) So yes, I'm with it (so I don't have to argue about pointless things anymore. This one topping them all.) To add to it, we don't have different meanings for the word comprehend. The argument fell between multiple people seeming like I was arguing with only one.
KuJoe Wrote:Well Chris speaks, now us peons have nothing to bicker back and forth about. I vote for a close of this off topic hijacked headache. Who's with me? Wink
What's wrong with keeping it open?
Chris Boulton Wrote:phpBB has remained free without many problems for the last 7 years as pointed out by Labrocca. You don't need to generate revenue to sustain a free product.

That being said, there are several larger companies who would be interested in helping MyBB out if it came to it - and I'm talking about providing resources to sustain the product, not change it in to something commercial.

That being said, there's a relatively large announcement we'll be making in a few months regarding a new MyBB partner which could see MyBB usage sky-rocket.

Not within the scope of my ideas, but indeed, this is good news. All I was trying to do was share what I was thinking could help MyBB, I said impractical features cuz god forbid I name any specifics (I'll get yelled at for asking MyBB to copy others <_<).
My eyes are bleeding from misunderstandings. But considering that I find bliss in ignorance I don't care if it stays open. Big Grin
KuJoe Wrote:My eyes are bleeding from misunderstandings. But considering that I find bliss in ignorance I don't care if it stays open. Big Grin

I just want these pointless arguments to end. If you read my previous post after my edit, you'll know that we were arguing for no reason. Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9