MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tips on asking for Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Here's just a few tips on asking for support. Smile

1. Do not use thread titles such as "Help!!" or "Not working!"

Create a title that is unique and is descriptive of your problem.

Generally when the people want to give you answers they'd like to know what they're dealing with before looking at the thread.

2. Use descriptive details of your problem.

It really helps when you quote any errors being shown, and providing explicit detail about your problem. Screenshots are highly encouraged. Provide the link to the problem page if possible.

3. Bumping Threads

I see this a lot here. And I think it would help if you only bumped your thread after a day of no response. If your problem is not addressed, don't fret, someone will usually see it. And if they don't I suggest giving the thread a day before bumping it.

4. Versions

Please indicate in your post which version of MyBB you are using (copy the exact version information from Admin CP --> Version Check. Example: Your Version: 1.03 (100.10))

It may also be a good idea to indicate which version of PHP and MySQL you use, available on the Admin CP Homepage.

5. Try to fix it yourself.

We're glad you use MyBB, and we're glad to help you out with your issue. But, instead of just running to us with an issue, always try to fix it yourself, who knows? Maybe you'll find your answer yourself. Smile

And if your efforts failed, tell us about it so that we know what you have tried to do already.

Sometimes, problems have been fixed in newer versions of MyBB. So if it is convenient, upgrade your board to see if the problem persists.

6. Do not private message, or instant message, people for help. Important! (Tip from Matt Light)

Private messaging people for help is annoying and it won't help you get an answer quicker. Only PM someone for support if they ask you to. Instant Messaging for help is also looked down upon, and extremely annoying.

7. Search The Forums First! Read the FAQ! (Tip from Lucid)

Use the search feature, it is your friend. Wink Your problem may have already been addressed. Why open a new thread when there is already the same one with the answers. Big Grin Also read the sticky threads at the top of the support forums.

There is a FAQ available on the MyBB Wiki that may answer your question.

8. Use proper English! (Tip from k776)

The last thing we want is to try and understand what the heck you are saying. Also proofread your message, so we don't have to ask you to explain. We understand that not everyone here may be fluent in English, and that it may not be your fault for not having English as your dominant language, so just try your best.

9. Correct Place (Tip from k776)

Please read this thread to ensure that you are posting in the right forum.

Please post your support question in the right forum, I haven't seen much of this but it's always good to leave Bug Reports and Support Questions seperate, if a Support Question becomes a Bug, we'll move it accordingly.

Also, don't be afraid to open more than one thread for each question you want to ask. This makes it easier to discuss each question, than all at once in one thread with many problems on it.

10. Don't get annoyed (Tip from k776)

If someone cannot help you, but instead gives you a link to something that might help you, don't get annoyed because you don't have the answer right there and then. Go to the link and check it out. If you cannot make sense of it, say so. Don't get into an argument.

Remember, we, the support team members (and the other members in the MyBB community) are human beings who volunteer our time to help you out. We try to respond to your support requests and to resolve them as soon as possible, and so please bear with us.

11. Helping Out (Tip from k776)

If you know the answer, don't just say "You gotta...." but actually help out. Give them a step by step guide on what they can do to fix it. Not everyone knows what you know. So let them know.

These are, of course, just a few things I always take into consideration for posting a question for any type of software. And I thought I'd share these with my fellow members here. Smile
Excellent Guide! Hopefully the newer (and older) members of the community follow this Big Grin
Very good tips Ryan, thanks. Smile

Matt, that's also a good point. Perhaps Ryan will add it to his post too? Wink
Excellent advice Ryan...I'd also add...

7. Search The Forums First!
Use the search feature, it is your friend. Wink Your problem may have already been addressed. Why open a new thread when there is already the same one with the answers. Big Grin
Thanks, both tips have been added. Smile
Also add,

8. Use proper english!
The last thing we want is to try and understand what the heck you are saying. Also proofread your message, so we dont have to ask you to explain.
Thanks, k776. Wink
oh, and another one:

9. Correct Place
Post in the right forum people. If it isn't wasting time answering your queries, its having to move them to the right forum catagory!! Read the descriptions of the forums before posting. It will help us find and address your query faster.

k776
Added, but rephrased. Wink
Yet another:

10. Dont get annoyed
If someone cannot help you, but instead gives you a link to something that might help you, dont get annoyed because you dont have the answer right there and then. Go to the link and check it out. If you cannot make sence of it, say so. Dont get into an argument.
Pages: 1 2 3