MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Subforum read/unread inconsistencies [R]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quote:// If our subforum is unread, then so must be our parents. Force our parents to unread as well

I did this at the beginning in my plugin, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing to do. It may be too aggressive. Doing this forces a user to read all posts in all forums always, even if he's not interested in a specific subforum. And it breaks the 'mark this forum read', and changes how MyBB used to work, so far it was legal to mark a parent forum read while a subforum was still unread. So the user could say, "yes I know there are unread threads in the subforum, but I'm not interested in them right now, so mark the parent forum read anyway".

Forums with combined icons don't have that problem, they can show parent forum status and subforum status separately. Without combined icons, you have to make a choice as to what the icon is supposed to stand for. Parent forum only? Subforum always wins? Or something in between (subforum wins but only if it's lastpost is newer than the parent forums lastread), which is what MyBB did so far.

For the case where there is no read record, I think thread read cut must be used instead of 0. Otherwise it'll always be unread even if thread read cut causes threads to be read anyway. Unless I understood that feature wrong. It marks all threads that are older than a certain threshold as read, right?

Quote:Since cookies have a limit, sometimes it would be impossible to properly store all the forum ids in the forumsread cookie.

Even if it was possible, if a user has to upload 4kb of cookie data for every request (I think that's the limit imposed by IE), the forum is going to be slow as heck too. Most people have a decent downstream nowadays, but upstream is usually extremely limited, at least that's how DSL works in Europe. Big downstream, small upstream. So cookies shouldn't be used for storing 'huge' amounts of data.

This is getting a bit out of hands here, huh Huh
(2009-01-31, 11:56 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:// If our subforum is unread, then so must be our parents. Force our parents to unread as well

I did this at the beginning in my plugin, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing to do. It may be too aggressive. Doing this forces a user to read all posts in all forums always, even if he's not interested in a specific subforum. And it breaks the 'mark this forum read', and changes how MyBB used to work, so far it was legal to mark a parent forum read while a subforum was still unread. So the user could say, "yes I know there are unread threads in the subforum, but I'm not interested in them right now, so mark the parent forum read anyway".

Yes. One thing at a time though. We'll worry about everything else later. Once we get the indicators working 100%, we can then modify things to work with what we broke but right now I am only concerned about the indicators.

(2009-01-31, 11:56 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]For the case where there is no read record, I think thread read cut must be used instead of 0. Otherwise it'll always be unread even if thread read cut causes threads to be read anyway. Unless I understood that feature wrong. It marks all threads that are older than a certain threshold as read, right?

All it does is simulate a non read record forcing the indicator to be "unread". Either way should work but 0 should 110% always work. So unless there is a specific reason we should use one over the other, I don't see the point in questioning it.

(2009-01-31, 11:56 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Since cookies have a limit, sometimes it would be impossible to properly store all the forum ids in the forumsread cookie.

Even if it was possible, if a user has to upload 4kb of cookie data for every request (I think that's the limit imposed by IE), the forum is going to be slow as heck too. Most people have a decent downstream nowadays, but upstream is usually extremely limited, at least that's how DSL works in Europe. Big downstream, small upstream. So cookies shouldn't be used for storing 'huge' amounts of data.

I forgot to mention that I specifically commented out that line so we didn't have to worry about further functionality. I just want to focus on this one bit of logic and then we can branch out to other logic once we get this one to work.

(2009-01-31, 11:56 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]This is getting a bit out of hands here, huh Huh

Not really. We're making some progress. I definately fixed 4 separate problems all for 1 bug lol.
Feel free to move this old bug report to bogus or something. While the problem isn't fixed, most comments in this thread are invalid / outdated, so if you want to fix this issue you'd probably have to start from scratch. I decided to not use subforums in my own forum after all (too many issues with it) so I personally am no longer interested in getting this fixed.

Maybe issues such as this can be given some more thought for 1.6 or 2.0 because it's really a shame if a forum software can't even tell correctly wether it has unread posts in a forum or subforum somewhere.
(2009-04-30, 08:32 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Feel free to move this old bug report to bogus or something. While the problem isn't fixed, most comments in this thread are invalid / outdated, so if you want to fix this issue you'd probably have to start from scratch. I decided to not use subforums in my own forum after all (too many issues with it) so I personally am no longer interested in getting this fixed.

Maybe issues such as this can be given some more thought for 1.6 or 2.0 because it's really a shame if a forum software can't even tell correctly wether it has unread posts in a forum or subforum somewhere.

Every forum software has the same problem - Like I said, it's a limitation. Implementing a 100% way would make servers crash. If you don't believe me, try it yourself.
(2009-04-30, 02:41 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Every forum software has the same problem
Has WBB the same problem? No.
Has phpBB the same problem? No.
Has vBulletin the same problem? No.
Has MyBB the problem? Yes.
(2009-05-02, 07:42 PM)daniel2037 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-04-30, 02:41 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Every forum software has the same problem
Has WBB the same problem? No.
Has phpBB the same problem? No.
Has vBulletin the same problem? No.
Has MyBB the problem? Yes.

They do have the same problems. If you don't believe me, show me what we are doing wrong and give me a way that won't crash servers and doesn't remove functionality.
will this bug that you guys are discussing / mentioning / fixing
will it come out as fixxed in any of the next versions to come ?

Or is there a patch for 1.4.6 ?
as 1.4.6 is what im using now.
No. Apparently it's impossible to fix.
Completely out of the kit-n-kaboodle, bobbit, but you seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot with Ryan here.
Maybe I'm confusing another impossible fix with this one. Either way, it's not 100% fixable :p
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7