MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] Google Chrome Issues [C-Rcpalace]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This browser is now out of Beta (amazingly) so now the issues could perhaps be looked as the code will probably be set now. I'm putting the two I have in here again just to prevent having to go through old threads.

Postbit Buttons

When using quick reply, not all the buttons show after the post is added via ajax.

[attachment=12046]

Also, her, clicking 'Edit' goes straight to full reply, no options.

After a refresh, it shows as normal.

[attachment=12047]

Codepress Issue

[attachment=12048]

Just shows as grey text, and you can't click in it. it also seems to treat it as a blank text area - clicking save empties the template, and a lot of users have done this, erasing the template. Exactly the same for CSS, obviously.

I have the latest release of Chrome.
Many software solutions have adjusted to Firefox and IE settings in the last couple of years, google is a partialy Safari build. I think you should address the problem to google.
Which is more viable, MyBB making something work with Chrome, or Chrome making something work with MyBB??
(2008-12-16, 10:18 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Which is more viable, MyBB making something work with Chrome, or Chrome making something work with MyBB??

Chrome making something work with MyBB. If every single website had this problem in Chrome, would Google tell each and every single 108,810,358 websites to fix it themselves?
Perhaps it's a problem with the libraries we use (Prototype, Codepress, etc) which have some incompatibilities with Chrome. I haven't taken a deep look at what the problems are, but updates to those libraries may be able to fix the issues.
Chrome comes with a JavaScript inspector / debugger that can point you to the offending lines.

I'm not a Windows / Chrome user usually but I just installed it. You right click, select 'Inspect element', that opens the inspector window. In the lower left it has a button for 'show console'. When you have that open, you reload the page and the console will show which errors occured and if you click on the errors, it will display the offending line of JavaScript.

Looks like this:
mybb.js
/*
 * CodePress regular expressions for HTML syntax highlighting
 */

// HTML
Language.syntax = [
!!! Uncaught ReferenceError: Language is not defined

I couldn't reproduce the quick edit issue yet, but at least this one seems to be a minor issue. If that part of code is not by MyBB directly but by some third party software (Codepress or whatever) maybe this issue should be reported upstream so they can look into fixing it?
(2008-12-16, 10:22 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-12-16, 10:18 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Which is more viable, MyBB making something work with Chrome, or Chrome making something work with MyBB??

Chrome making something work with MyBB. If every single website had this problem in Chrome, would Google tell each and every single 108,810,358 websites to fix it themselves?

Fair point well made, but, and I obviously don't know about anyone else, I personally haven't had problems on any other sites with JS. Also if loads of people had a similar problem, chances are they'd already know about it. Goes without saying I'm not against reporting it to Chrome if you think it's necessary or a lot of people could be affected, though.

Didn't some people say that they could use codepress after a particular 1.4.x release that attempted to fix Chrome...??
It seems there is already a bug report over on Codepress:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?t..._id=654507

But the project seems dead. More than one year ago an update was announced but it never came round. And there are issues reported for Codepress in Firefox 3 too. So it doesn't seem like Codepress will be patching anything anytime soon (that bug report is already >3 months old).

With a little more digging, this bug is also already reported over at Chrome:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=617

Summary: they expect Codepress to fix it, so nothing will be changed in Chrome.

So it seems all MyBB could do is fix this by themselves or simply not fix anything or see if there isn't some other syntax highlighting project around that is better maintained than Codepress...

Possible alternatives:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...de_editors

Out of these, EditArea impresses me by far the most and it claims to support all sorts of browsers including Firefox 3 and Chrome. Last release less than two months ago. May be worth checking out.
Actually Codepress is still an active project as seen here http://codepress.svn.sourceforge.net/vie...evel%20v1/

It may not be extremely actively developed but it appears to be only managed by a small team, so it's not exactly unexpected.
Thankfully syntax highlighting is one of the few things I don't need in a forum. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3