MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Pre-Parse Post/Signatures & Sphinx Search plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Unfortunately I had to uninstall the plugin as it was causing a number of signature glitches.
(2009-03-02, 05:38 PM)YCMaker Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately I had to uninstall the plugin as it was causing a number of signature glitches.

What were they? Reporting your problems in more detail can possibly fix them. Wink
I was basing this off of the initial user reports, found here and here. It's hard to tell exactly what the problem was, but it seemed widespread enough that there was no point in using the plugin.
my forum is quicker after installing... most users will talk to me if something new happens for sure kkk
(2009-03-02, 10:32 PM)YCMaker Wrote: [ -> ]I was basing this off of the initial user reports, found here and here. It's hard to tell exactly what the problem was, but it seemed widespread enough that there was no point in using the plugin.

Their's no way I can reproduce this, and if I can, I can't update the file since I have no idea what it's licensed under. Since Ryan Gordon runs these plugins on a big board, it would be best left to him to debug the issue since I do not have a big board to reproduce your problem, and their's not much sufficient information on reproduction instructions.

Let's try to break it down a bit:

Do you have any plugins installed that touch the show thread templates?
Do you have any plugins installed that effect the signature in any way?
function preparsersig_showthread()
{
	global $mybb;

$mybb->user['realshowsigs'] = $mybb->user['showsigs'];
	$mybb->user['showsigs'] = 0;
}

function preparsersig_functions_post(&$post)
{
	global $mybb, $templates;

if($mybb->user['realshowsigs'] != 0)
	{
Note that $mybb->user['realshowsigs'] is only ever set to true once the thread is viewed. Doing a quick reply causes this not to be set, yet the functions_post function is run, which clears the signature.

^ That's the issue.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I fixed the signature pre-parse attachment with the proper file name. I don't know how it got renamed.

I also fixed the problem where the signature didn't show up in AJAX replies. To upgrade just replace the inc/plugins/preparserpost.php file with the new one in the attachment located in the main post.

(2009-02-27, 05:08 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-01-12, 06:18 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-01-12, 06:03 AM)Rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]the best solution would be developing your own solution if and when possible.

That is absolutely not true. Why should I reinvent a perfectly good wheel?

Sometimes it's necessary if you need your own solutions to make sure it reaches your standards of security. Similarly, here on the community forums, why not use MyBB plugins created by the users instead of reinventing the wheel? I am going to try sphinx on my local machine though, just to see how it works. Smile

Because:

1) They normally don't follow our standards
2) They may or may not be secure
3) They may or may not have bugs
4) This board is used as the exemplar for everyone elses forum. If we start adding non-default functionality people get confused.

Thanks,
Ryan
Quote:1) They normally don't follow our standards

Applies to Sphinx. Smile
(2009-03-03, 08:01 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:1) They normally don't follow our standards

Applies to Sphinx. Smile
Sphinx isn't installed here.

An indexer programmed in C will always be MUCH faster than the same code written in PHP. I believe the issue here is speed, not whether you can hack up something in PHP.
There are certain lines to draw at places. The Linux OS you're running may have security holes, the Apache server, MySQL server or PHP engine may have bugs/exploits etc. However MyBB isn't here to rewrite an OS or webserver platform. MyBB is at the PHP level of coding, so they take responsibility for PHP and anything of a higher level (ie plugins).

Sphinx operates at a lower level than PHP, thus it does not make sense to provide your own implementation of such.
Quote:Sphinx isn't installed here.

I don't recall saying such.

Quote:The Linux OS you're running may have security holes, the Apache server, MySQL server or PHP engine may have bugs/exploits etc.

Of course (they are) (it would), but (it is) (they're all) necessary. MySQL have other ways to fix such, I've talked to a representative, MySQL has different settings for different sized databases, if you adjust yours to the correct settings, it'll definitely increase speed; other measures may be taken, creating your own method is one. If you can't, Sphinx is perfect. I don't want to dive into this "debate" again, you like your methods, I like mine. We can agree on one thing though: to agree not to agree. Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10