MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discussion Board is Set Up! How Do I...(5 questions)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hi! OK I've got my discussion board set up with forums. Now I have a lot of questions!

1. My user name to set up the discussion board was not my real name. How do I get it changed to my real name?

2. How do I export the discussion board to Facebook?

3. How do I design the discussion board to look pretty? I saw the words "themes" and "templates" but could not look at any choices of designs.

4. How do I tell and invite people to it? Those that I only contact on Facebook?

5. Is there a way to get it listed on search engines?

Thanks in advance Big Grin

Tink
Oops! I've got a sixth question. How do I set it up so users have an Avatar? And is there a way to do it so that their Avatar is a photo of themselves that they have uploaded?
(2009-02-11, 02:53 AM)TinkBelle Wrote: [ -> ]Hi! OK I've got my discussion board set up with forums. Now I have a lot of questions!

1. My user name to set up the discussion board was not my real name. How do I get it changed to my real name?

3. How do I design the discussion board to look pretty? I saw the words "themes" and "templates" but could not look at any choices of designs.

4. How do I tell and invite people to it? Those that I only contact on Facebook?

Thanks in advance Big Grin

Tink
Oops! I've got a 6th question. How do I set it up so users have an Avatar? And is there a way to do it so that their Avatar is a photo of themselves that they have uploaded?
1) Admin CP > Users > Your name > Profile(you should be able to change it there)

2) Huh? Please explain more

3) http://mods.mybboard.net/themes

4) You can email them a thread, if that would work for you?

5) Enable SEF(Search Engine Friendly) URLs(Admin CP > Configuration > Server and Optimization Settings)

6) They can have an avatar by default.

Kind Regards,
TomL
question 1: log into your Admin control panel and go to users and groups then find your username then click options and then edit profile and settings.

question 2: not really sure, you should maybe check with facebook about that.

question 3: you can use a theme on here in the download sections, or if you know how to edit css you could do it yourself.

question 4: you can send emails to them and have them sign up, or put your link in your what are you doing right now Wink

question 5: you could submit your url to google or any other search engine, but i believe it will take awhile.

question 6: they upload a avitar and the image cant be to to big, and they can upload anything really =].

hope thats helps.
(2009-02-11, 03:20 AM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-11, 02:53 AM)TinkBelle Wrote: [ -> ]1. My user name to set up the discussion board was not my real name. How do I get it changed to my real name?
1) Admin CP > Users > Your name > Profile(you should be able to change it there)

2) Huh? Please explain more

3) http://mods.mybboard.net/themes

4) You can email them a thread, if that would work for you?

5) Enable SEF(Search Engine Friendly) URLs(Admin CP > Configuration > Server and Optimization Settings)

6) They can have an avatar by default.

damn, you beat me to it, i just wasted time Wink
(2009-02-11, 03:23 AM)indigored Wrote: [ -> ]damn, you beat me to it, i just wasted time Wink
Yeah, by 3 minutesToungue
she'll have alot of info though.
(2009-02-11, 03:28 AM)indigored Wrote: [ -> ]she'll have alot of info though.
The info is the same thoughToungue Should answer all her questions fine, thoughSmile
true, true
(2009-02-11, 03:43 AM)indigored Wrote: [ -> ]true, true

...?...

Facebook can't integrate with your Forum - it doesn't have the capability in it's development platform to do this. You can however post links (of course Wink ) to important/good topics on your forum - just head to http://www.facebook.com/posted.php
Hi indigored and Tom!

Thanks for all this information!

1. Once I pick a theme, how do I get it to mush into my board? (mush is a technical term ha haToungue)
1a. Is there a way to try a theme out and then change it?

2. Tom, I see this Facebook post link link you gave me. Thanks! I never knew about this before.

3. Now #5, I read your answers: "Enable SEF(Search Engine Friendly) URLs(Admin CP > Configuration > Server and Optimization Settings)"
&
"you could submit your url to google or any other search engine, but i believe it will take awhile."

How do I do this? How do I enable SEF URLs?

4. The avatar/uploading photo things, there's nothing for me to do, it's just there for them already? How should I direct them to do it?

Tink
For SEF URLs, simply follow the steps: Admin CP > Configuration > Server and Optimization Settings. There is a setting in there to turn it on.

To submit your site to Google, you're probably looking for this: http://www.google.co.uk/addurl/?continue=/addurl

To try out themes, simply go to AdminCP => Templates & Style => Import a Theme. You might need to upload images to your host as well. Normally themes come with a Readme of some kind, just follow the instructions and you can't go wrong. Simply change them for yourself in UserCP => Edit Options, or click on the green arrow next to the theme, in Templates & Style, in the AdminCP.

Your users can upload an avatar by going to their UserCP, and then "Change Avatar".

Facebook's "Posted Items" used to be called "Links", I think... there's a tab for it on your feed when you login...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7