MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion- Use of png images for next/future releases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Yeah. I'm pretty sure they're png, anyways - not sure though as I've never used them..
Every single computer at my workplace has IE6.
Every single computer at my Uni has IE6.
Every single computer at all the Brisbane libraries use IE6.

And from the looks of things, the above is unlikely going to change in the next few years.
Every web developer wishes for the 2001 browser to die (including Microsoft), but unfortunately, it's not happening...

The "PNG fix":
- requires Javascript
- is problematic
No they are gifs.
And I really think MyBB should move on to pngs, as they are used spread over the whole web..
If you are so worried about support for IE 6 you should include pngfix js instead of making them look bad on browsers that support better images. If users with IE 6 has JS disabled they are just stupid..
(2009-03-02, 04:06 PM)CraKteR Wrote: [ -> ]If users with IE 6 has JS disabled they are just stupid..

Well, we can't just make that assumption. Possibly there are medical/life support IT infrastructures that run IE6 and can't upgrade because of compatibility issues that still need working out, or it simply isn't worth the effort to upgrade to IE6 based on the cost and time. And for security measures possibly JS has to be disabled.
Why shouldn't they be able to make their own images then? In gif. It's the same as the statement 'when you make a new theme you make new images'. It's clear how superior png is over gifs.
default theme must be simple and intuitive
I think GIF is a better choice now "to the masses"

whatever graphics default theme uses, I will use PNG with alpha transparency anyway in my templates because my forum audience is already "Firefox-friendly" and use this type of graphics in posts/signatures
New images won't come until there's a new default theme. The decision on whether we'll use PNG or GIF images will be made at that point - by then, IE6 may be insignificant. At this point, however, we'll be sticking with GIFs.
(2009-03-03, 12:03 PM)CraKteR Wrote: [ -> ]It's clear how superior png is over gifs.
Superiority != compatibility.

MKVs are FAR superior to the 16-year old crappy AVIs (if you thought the 8 year old browser is bad, I can tell you a 16 year old media container format is worse), yet many people still use AVI.
(2009-03-04, 03:17 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-03-03, 12:03 PM)CraKteR Wrote: [ -> ]It's clear how superior png is over gifs.
Superiority != compatibility.

MKVs are FAR superior to the 16-year old crappy AVIs (if you thought the 8 year old browser is bad, I can tell you a 16 year old media container format is worse), yet many people still use AVI.
Very good point! As always though, there's pro's and con's to this, no matter what way you look at it.
I'm confused. What's wrong with adding a decent PNG fix script when MyBB is getting more and more Ajax as it is? Should all the previous and future Javascript work be scrapped and removed because people on IE6 can't use it? :\

As per W3 stats, IE6 is dropping at a steady rate every month and hasn't gone up. With the release of IE8 (which is already taking % off IE7), that's sure to take an even bigger hit. How long are you going to wait until you say 'Right, enough people are off IE6 now to allow for a bit more JS and some decent-quality images'? 8%? 2%? The usage rate for February will probably be around 17.4%, by the end of the year that's going to be next-to-nothing. Generic aesthetics should not be compromised for the laziness of a few.

Developers that pansy to IE6 are the reason people aren't upgrading quickly enough. Sucks for the "medical/life support IT infrastructures" that are stuck with IE6, but shouldn't they be spending more time saving lives than on MyBB forums? Wink

Edit: February 2009 market share according to Wikipedia:

Internet Explorer 6 18.85%
Internet Explorer 7 47.32%
Internet Explorer 8 1.17%
Pages: 1 2 3 4